Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-22-2013, 12:16 PM

Default Attempted theft at The Shooting Edge

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Po...244/story.html

The owner of a Calgary shooting range says a firearm theft was thwarted this morning.

J.R. Cox, owner of the Shooting Edge said at 5 a.m. someone tried to drive a truck through the storefront of his business in the 7600-block of Blackfoot Trail.

Cox said the truck did not make it through the reinforced walls.

“They tried to get in and they were unsuccessful,” said Cox.

“When they tried to drive away, two fire bombs fells out of the truck and one exploded in the parking lot.”

Cox said the explosives were discovered while watching surveillance video of the incident.

“What it looks like is they were going to rob the place and try to burn it down,” said Cox.

Police briefly shut down Blackfoot Trail but it has since been reopened.

Duty inspector Bruce Walker said a vehicle was found a few blocks away but the driver had fled.

“It was minimal damage to the address,” said Walker.

Cox said nothing was taken from the store.

“Our security worked as advertised and we got really good video.”

In October, police say at least 30 firearms were taken from the Calgary Shooting Centre after a truck was used to ram into the storefront. Once inside, the culprits smashed the display cases and took the guns before leaving.

Two men were charged in that case but the missing firearms have not been found.

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/Attempt...#ixzz2Lenf2YIu
Old 02-22-2013, 12:19 PM

Fire bombs?????????? Odd item for a robbery. perhaps an "anti" terrorist? It's only a matter of time. Animal rights terrorist with a little extra time on his hands? Wild speculation I know, but.....
Old 02-22-2013, 12:49 PM

Most likely they thought it would destroy evidence from the theft like cameras, tapes, etc.

I hope they wound up with a serious case of whiplash... I was going to go there this evening too >:|
Old 02-22-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Fire bombs?????????? Odd item for a robbery. perhaps an "anti" terrorist? It's only a matter of time. Animal rights terrorist with a little extra time on his hands? Wild speculation I know, but.....
I was thinking along the same lines...
Old 02-22-2013, 01:38 PM

Whoever it was sure didn't have much going on upstairs, the visibility of that storefront off of Blackfoot Trail is high, and its a well trafficked road even in the wee hours. Glad to see the moron was foiled by some good security precautions. Interesting angle speculating that it may have been an anti rather than a thief what with the firebombs. I'll agree that evidence destruction was a more likely scenario though.

Too bad it s not legally kosher to put in man-traps as part of the security measures. It would be classic to come in and find some wanker in what amounts to a giant Havahart trap

I saw some interesting equipment in there and asked JR what it was, he told me it was part of the security system and what it did but I'll not disclose it publicly in case it was just meant for my ears.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:19 PM

Must be some good security footage, the damage is right under the security camera
Old 02-22-2013, 02:21 PM

Oh lordy some people... too bad they didn't light themselves on fire in the process.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
My first thought was that it could possibly be anti-gun people, with the rash of gun control paranoia in the US alot of them are coming out of the woodwork everywhere.

But I may just be overthinking it....
Old 02-22-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagalaz View Post
But I may just be overthinking it....
We never over-think anything on AOF! LOL
Old 02-22-2013, 04:10 PM

Probably overthinking it.

Article says this is the second time the place was hit. The first time, they have suspects and evidence. Apparently the owner closed this avenue for theft. Either these were buddies of the first guys or copy cats who wanted to destroy evidence so they didn't get caught themselves.

Stupidity is taxable and sometimes I get to be the collector.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanik View Post
Probably overthinking it.

Article says this is the second time the place was hit. The first time, they have suspects and evidence. Apparently the owner closed this avenue for theft. Either these were buddies of the first guys or copy cats who wanted to destroy evidence so they didn't get caught themselves.

You misread, the article referenced a recent robbery at a competing store called the Calgary Shooting Centre which is just a few km away. This incident was at The Shooting Edge. The article merely noted it as both incidents were targeting firearms stores. Both stores are operated by former military men.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
You misread, the article referenced a recent robbery at a competing store called the Calgary Shooting Centre which is just a few km away. This incident was at The Shooting Edge. The article merely noted it as both incidents were targeting firearms stores. Both stores are operated by former military men.
My bad, carry on as if I were normal

(still, copy cats? "Worked there, why not here?" idea?)

Stupidity is taxable and sometimes I get to be the collector.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:40 PM

Too bad about the attempted hit, but it's an awesome outcome. Great publicity for TSE that they take their security seriously and it works.

What a bunch of morons the thieves are, especially to try it at 5 am. I hope they had some sense knocked (or burned) into them during the attempt.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Whoever it was sure didn't have much going on upstairs, the visibility of that storefront off of Blackfoot Trail is high, and its a well trafficked road even in the wee hours. Glad to see the moron was foiled by some good security precautions. Interesting angle speculating that it may have been an anti rather than a thief what with the firebombs. I'll agree that evidence destruction was a more likely scenario though.

Too bad it s not legally kosher to put in man-traps as part of the security measures. It would be classic to come in and find some wanker in what amounts to a giant Havahart trap

I saw some interesting equipment in there and asked JR what it was, he told me it was part of the security system and what it did but I'll not disclose it publicly in case it was just meant for my ears.
I think Phoenix range got hit 2 times before they did something about vehicles crashing through the front.
That storefront is right on the Sh Pk freeway.

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 02-22-2013, 07:30 PM
Banned

If an armed security guard is acceptable in schools to twarf potential killers as seemingly acceptable by the masses, wouldn't a trained killer night security guard at such places make sense? I dunno, just throwing that out there......another can of worms?
Old 02-22-2013, 11:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger1022 View Post

I'm not sure how they thought they were going to knock over those steel, cement filled red posts sticking out of the ground???? IMO The fire bombs were likely molotov cocktails to destroy evidence and/or aid in their escape. To me, the crooks don't seem much more sophisticated than that.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:34 AM

It isn't an uncommon occurence to have people trying to break into the shops around Calgary, I can remember the guys at Guncraft mentioning the cops had the place staked out due to a threat of a break-in, likely 20+ yrs ago, Leeper was still working there, then, he likely could expand on those sort of stories over the years.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:13 AM

Not a gun store, but I recall a call out at work years back to check some gas lines damaged where there was a break-in using a stolen truck to bust through a masonry wall. The perps set the truck up to take the run by rigging a piece of lumber to the gas pedal and letting it get a run at the building through a neighboring lot. The truck had to get through the chain link fence separating the two properties before getting to the target building, it got through both, and nearly severed the gas main on the opposite side of the wall where the mechanical room to this commercial truck wash was located. The speculation was that the perps were trying to get to the inventory of cigarettes.