Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-09-2013, 11:35 AM

Default SV10 Perennia & Prevail REVIEW

So, let's talk about the SV10 series.

The sv10 series are high end over under shotguns, they came out after the 682 and DT10 so they share some of the qualities of both.
Sv10 can be found with different options, one version is called PERENNIA (field version) and PREVAIL (sporting clays - Skeet).

And here is when it gets confused, because each series has 2 different sub versions.
PERENNIAS can be found in PERENNIA I and PERENNIA III
Prevails can be found in PREVAIL I and III as well.

Differences between the Prevail and Perennia:

-Perennias have barrels in 26" and 28" for field (can be used for skeet too).
-Prevails are in (30 and 32")
-Both use the same choke system the OCHP (Optima Bore)
-Prevails have a wider RIB, as most sporting models, whereas the Perennia has the clasic shotgun RIB found in ANY shotgun. Which one you like best is personal preference I found no difference whatsoever shooting with either one, you shouldn't be looking at the rib in the first place, right?
-Prevail have a simpler engraving (almost no engraving) whereas the PERENNIAS have a more dramatic Game Scene engraving, more classic and common among the high end type shotguns.
-Perennias hace and auto safety feature (that can be removed easily). Prevails do not have that feature.

Differences between models I and III:
-The quality of the wood, I (ones) have a furniture similar to the 686's whereas the III have a high end wood.
-There is also the Q-stock feature in the III, which is great if you have multiple stocks (skeet and trap). Stocks can be removed easily removed with the included wrench (allen key). The trigger group can be easily removed as well.
I have this gun in III version and I can tell you this is a great feature to have, whether you have multiple stocks or just for cleaning purposes, you have access to all the internals in seconds, literally. No more bolt under the butt pad. This is a great feature that I am hoping to see in other models!

So both guns and sub models share the same actions, except for barrel length and Q stock and furniture quality.

Action:
-The action has been reinforced, the walls are thicker than a 686 action, According to Beretta this makes the action super strong.
- The hinges have been upgraded with bigger hinges in comparison to the 686 and now also include a reinforment shoulder, which, according to Berettas, makes for years and years and year and more years of shooting...

Barrels:
They all have the OCHP, it's ok. I think it is just another gimmick, mobil chokes are fine, so... no much to say here.

Kick off system:

Prevails and Perennias III can be bought with the kick off system. Mine does not have the KICK OFF so I cannot say anything about it. I have asked around to other people who does shot with the kick off and they hated it. So I think it comes down to personal preference.
One thing to have in mind is that if you have the kick off, you cannot do any modificacions to stock.
If you decide to buy the model without the KICK OFF you can add it on later, Beretta sells the unit for around $300 which I think it's a rip off. I like to feel the recoil anyways and there ins't much recoil after all, almost none since I shoot skeet.

Bottom line:
I think it is a great shotgun, nice features so it's a good value.
One of the things I like the best is that the opening is so SMOOTH, this is something that called my attention right away, I have shot many other Berettas with over 3 thousand round count which are still very stiff, and this baby was smooth right off the bat.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:59 PM

Great review! thanks for sharing..