Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-19-2013, 11:06 PM

Default Scope mounting kit

I have been looking at a couple of different kits out there and I wondering if they are worth the money. I already have some of the tools to do the job ie) torque screwdriver and levels, so i'm thinking just get a lapping bar and alignment tool, or does a complete kit do a better job?

Also, I have notice there are two systems on doing the alignment. What is the difference between using two bars or one to align your scope rings? Weaver and Wheeler use two bars and there are a couple of other companies that just sell one long bar.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:51 PM

Not familiar with those kits, but you should only need one bar for a set of rings - maybe it was 1" and 30mm bars? I have one of each - with a handle and a little lapping compound you can get your rings perfect. The other tools you have should be enough. The full kit might be okay if you were starting from scratch but buying your own tools you'll probably have better quality.

Eric
Old 02-20-2013, 05:31 AM

The two short bars with pointed ends are for checking to see if you need to lap. Install one in each ring with the points facing each other.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally338 View Post
The two short bars with pointed ends are for checking to see if you need to lap. Install one in each ring with the points facing each other.
I think the bars are for aligning the rings with each other, you may still want more ring to scope contact achieved by lapping the rings.
Could be wrong.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:58 AM

I learn something every day. So do these short bars have points that should line up? When I install rings, I like to snug them down on the lapping bar before tightening onto the bases. Hopefully after that they will be pretty well aligned. The short bars would confirm.

Quote:
Old 02-22-2013, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Do you know what the difference is in doing your alignment with two short bars with the points facing each other, or using the one bar like http://parabola-llc.com/ or even this style http://echolsrifles.blogspot.ca/2013...ment-bars.html

Is one way better or worse?
Old 02-22-2013, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lund17 View Post
Do you know what the difference is in doing your alignment with two short bars with the points facing each other, or using the one bar like http://parabola-llc.com/ or even this style http://echolsrifles.blogspot.ca/2013...ment-bars.html

Is one way better or worse?
I only use the short bars to check if I have removed enough material or to check if new rings need lapping.