Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-21-2013, 09:11 AM
Banned

^^^ I recall one like that coming across my hands Shawn. But IIRC that was a Winchester. I do know that Winchester and Cooey have had some connections in the past.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
^^^ I recall one like that coming across my hands Shawn. But IIRC that was a Winchester. I do know that Winchester and Cooey have had some connections in the past.
I'll have to dig it out of the black hole in my basement to check. I'm 98% sure it's got a Cooey barrel stamp. The action/stock/etc. are all identical to the OP's pictures.

It would be a fun idea to get a Calgary area "Cooey Shoot" going. All participants must use a bolt action Cooey of the type shown. Thoughts?
Old 02-21-2013, 09:23 AM
Banned

Well, I do like your thinking. Anything to mingle with fellow shooters, exchange ideas, grope other people's gear and a bit of friendly competition is always welcomed.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnM View Post
I don't remember having to cock it after closing the bolt. I know the "safety" was to pull the bolt back and sort of hook it over a notch.
My Cooey 600 is as you describe, the safety is a bump on the bolt and you have to pull the bolt back and turn it so the bump catches in a notch.

My mother's old single shot needed to be cocked after you closed the bolt. That was the test I had to pass before I could take the rifle out on my own... I had to be able to safely cock it. I remember having to put the butt into my gut and grab the bolt with both hands to cock it unfortunately that didn't pass the 'safely' part of the test since I had zero muzzle control while I was doing that... maybe next year

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:23 AM

here is a u-tube on the 600 and i will post on the 75 and 39

hope this helps

David
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2M4DNernPw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfFf1LGgPBI

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...Cooey-Model-75

http://www.bersachat.com/forums/show...Cooey-Model-39

Here is a write up on them
Cooey, H.W., Machine & Arms Co. LTD.

Previous manufacture located in Cobourg, Ontario, Canada, 1903-1961. During 1961, Cooey was sold to the Olin Corp. and placed under the supervision of the Winchester Western Division. At this point, the manufacture of Winchesters (Primarily for Winchester Canada) began and continued through the mid 1970's (see Iver Johnson).

To date, their is very limited collector demand for most models in this trademark and values should be based on the shooting utility rather than collector premiums due to rarity. Values for average condition gun will typically range between $75- $150.

Cooey manufactured a wide number of rifles, including bolt action, single shot, and semi-autos. During the late 1920's-early 1930's, Cooey manufactured the Model X and model 2X for Iver Johnson

Pre-1961 Cooey Mfg. models include: 25, 35, 39, 55, 60, 62, 75, 78, 82, Ace, Ace1, Ace2, Ace3, Ace Repeater, Ace Special, Bisley Sport, Canuck, Canuck 25, Canuck Jr., Canuck Western, Cooey Repeater, HWC, Mohawk, and several unnumbered single shot and repeating sporter rifles. Post-1961 Cooey Firearms made by winchester were Model 10, 39, 60, 600, 64, 64 Delux, 64A, 64B, 71, 71 Carbine, 75, 750 delux, 710, and Ranger.

Last edited by Speckle55; 02-21-2013 at 10:32 AM.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
The whistling theme from the Andy Griffiths show was running through my head as I read this.
haha oki

some pics for ya...its oil em up day here..chain
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hiawatha.jpg (55.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg h1.jpg (70.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg h2.jpg (53.4 KB, 18 views)
Old 02-21-2013, 10:57 AM

this shows you how to cock or load yours

David

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxKb79k2cSk
Old 02-21-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe View Post
Mine back in the day had a nail holding up the rear sight, and a bunch of electrical tape holding the stock to the barrel. She still killed allot of gophers, cans, the odd ball cap, chickens, beaver, and put a few holes in the odd fence post. Back then my accessories consisted of an old skate lace for a strap, and a Tylenol bottle for holding my bullets...... My how times have changed. I bet I put 15,000 rounds thru that thing. Dad used to run a pasture and would give me and a couple cousins or friends each a couple new boxes of wildcat 22longs, and we would shoot gophers everyday it wasn't raining. After proof reading that I just realized how hillbilly we were, not too many parents would send their 10 year old sons out for the day with all the ammo they can shoot and a 2 litre pop bottle filled with water. But then again I have never done drugs, and managed to stay out of jail. Maybe more parents should try that.
where'd ya find the 2 liter pop bottle ?
Old 02-21-2013, 07:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckle55 View Post
this shows you how to cock or load yours

David

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxKb79k2cSk
Anyone who needs a youtube video to learn loading and cocking a single shot Cooey, should get an EasyBake oven instead.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
Anyone who needs a youtube video to learn loading and cocking a single shot Cooey, should get an EasyBake oven instead.
Nope too hi-tech I think a 2 slice toaster is as much as they could take....

LC
Old 02-21-2013, 07:57 PM
Banned

Fine, but at least we're still on the same page.....
Old 02-21-2013, 08:00 PM
Banned

Fine, but at least we're still on the same page..... imagine the confusion of a Slinky?
Old 02-21-2013, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnM View Post
I'll have to dig it out of the black hole in my basement to check. I'm 98% sure it's got a Cooey barrel stamp. The action/stock/etc. are all identical to the OP's pictures.

It would be a fun idea to get a Calgary area "Cooey Shoot" going. All participants must use a bolt action Cooey of the type shown. Thoughts?
That's a cool idea. But why limit it to Cooeys? There are lots of vintage bang sticks out there that are very similar. What about manually cocking single shots?
Old 02-21-2013, 08:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
That's a cool idea. But why limit it to Cooeys? There are lots of vintage bang sticks out there that are very similar. What about manually cocking single shots?
I was thinking along those lines too TL. But why be restrictive any any way. It's hard enough to get people involved in most shooting sports. I say ANY rimfire, that way, the Cooeys, the old Winnies, Savages, Anshutz, CIL, they'll all show up. Just gotta find a club that will host it is all. Sure would be a fun day though, for sure.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:41 PM

I'd be quite interested in a shoot as well.
And yes I did know the manual cocktail feature on my rifle but bolt still seems to not be working
Old 02-22-2013, 08:21 AM

My idea in limiting them to cooeys was that we wouldn't have people show up with Finnish target rifles blowing everyone out of the water that is using an old bolt action cooey. Plus it is a cooey thread

But if there's more interest in making it a wide open shoot then why not? Anything to get together and have some fun. Although I still think a "theme" shoot like bolt action cooeys would make it more fun.

Maybe AO would like to organize the shoot?