Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-12-2013, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Wish View Post
I am a landowner as well.

The part that burns my hinney is that if someone shoots up a sign on the side of the road anytime between January and September they are nothing more than a VANDAL, if someone steals something during the same time period they are a low life dirt bag THIEF, if someone tears down fences and shoots a cow they are a no good CATTLE RUSTLER

BUT...if it happens anytime between Sept and December they are dirty rotten HUNTERS.......!!!???

In my feeble mind doing this is simply allowing yourself to be caught up in the generalized "anti-hunter" sentiment perpetrated by the anti-gun and anti-hunter crowd and the media.

I have had stuff stolen, I have had stuff broken, I have had trespassers, but I put the blame where it belongs. On THIEVES, TRESPASSERS AND CATTLE RUSTLERS not on hunters just because it happens to be October or whatever month.

I STILL give permission and cannot foresee ever not giving permission unless something really untoward happens such as a lawsuit.

In my mind allowing hunters is the best security my property will ever have at by far the best price = ZERO. Plus I have met some real nice people and made some lifelong friends.

I base my concept of ownership of land on the premise "We do not own the land, we are borrowing it from our grandchildren."

or as I understand was said by Chief Big Bear (and I could be wrong on this)

"Two men arguing over who owns the land is like two fleas arguing over who owns the dog. We don't own the land, the land owns US!"
Regards,
Dave.
Damn Dave....................you sound like one my Elders speaking to me. Great post and appreciate it. Thank you.
Old 10-12-2013, 03:18 PM

BUT...if it happens anytime between Sept and December they are dirty rotten HUNTERS.......!!!???

dont seem to see new holes in the signs after those months
Old 10-12-2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packhuntr View Post
Ya sure, everyone is a nice guy u bet lol. Trust me, if your rural you dread hunting season. The days of giving the benifit of doubt are long gone. There simply put are some of the lowest pieces of work on gods green earth that call themselves hunters. Society is full of em, not just outdoor type folk... Anyone in disbelief of this fact need not spend more than a weekend in the field,,, it wont take longer than that, guaranteed. When u think youve seen it all, here comes another one to completely blow you away... Sad sad deal. When goal number one every year is to distance ones self as far from other hunters as humanly possible, theres a problem. People need to stop sugar coating things and seek solution.
Yep... I agree.

There's a lot of sketchy 'hunters' out there. If you think everyone that hunts is a fine upstanding individual... give your head a shake.
I've seen guys knock down gates, tear off No Hunting signs, cut fences.
I've seen an outfitter with a bladed bushgaurd on his truck (WMU 208) and seen fences with tire tracks going through them and nicely cut wires... I'm no genius, but I can put 2 & 2 together.
I've witnessed animals shot from and drug out to roads were people had no permission. We sat and waited for the Fish Cops and watched them only get their hands slapped. This was on land belonging to my hunting partners family and no one was supposed to be on it besides us.
I've lost a tree stand and so have people I know. Trail cameras as well.
I had our farm gates broken twice last year and storage containers broke into. The last time there were truck tracks in the snow (Duratrac), a shotgun shell and pieces of clay pigeons that had obviously come out of the guys truck.

There are tons of low life's in all walks of life!! Don't pretend that hunters couldn't be a part in this. It's to bad that the OP feels the way he does, but I do t blame him 1 bit. I'd do the same... There's a good chance it was someone else, by there's a good chance it was the guys hunting his land too.
Old 10-12-2013, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eze View Post

dont seem to see new holes in the signs after those months
100% on the button.
Old 10-12-2013, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treefarmer View Post
I have had two groups of bow hunters come out this year. Yesterday I just noticed that two jerries of gas, and 3 jerries of diesel are gone. So I'm out the cost of the fuel, cost of the jerries, the cost of a trip to town, and the time that takes.

Am I certain that it was one of these groups? No. There is a small possibility that it was some kid with a very quiet vehicle. There is a possibility that it may have been a customer who noticed them, then came back later. It's possible.
Have I seen anyone else come through? No.
Have I ever had anything stolen during the previous 10 years I'm been open for business? No.

But I can't be there to watch the entire time that hunters are here, so I'm no longer accepting requests to hunt here.
That is too bad but truefully you don’t know who took it you weren't there but I understand someone has to be blamed the stuff Is gone
as for shutting down your land too everyone else go a head no loss to me its your land.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:04 PM

I feel very badly about your loss... Sad that it has come to the end of hunting on your land. Hope you find out who stole from you and hopefully it was not the hunters.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:35 PM

[QUOTE=pikeslayer22;2151122]Yep...they come by our gas plant in the Alder areafor a visit one night and stole, vandalized to the tune of about 60,000 counting the 2 days downtime they caused![/QUOTE) he is posting it here because it is a open forum and that is his right as a member.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino81 View Post
he is posting it here because it is a open forum and that is his right as a member.
That is good too know thanks.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by last minute View Post
That is good too know thanks.
Your welcome
Old 10-12-2013, 07:13 PM

Default Hmm

Being a white male, this is a new feeling for me. Gettin' persecuted for nothing more than being born with camo blood. Never having done anything wrong yet having something taken away from me because of the actions of others with the same camo exterior. It was short sighted many moons ago when my 90 year old mother in law, from different times than us, would say things like, "oh you gotta watch them people, they'll rob ya blind if you give them a chance". You dig me..
Old 10-13-2013, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don K View Post
Yep... I agree.

There's a lot of sketchy 'hunters' out there. If you think everyone that hunts is a fine upstanding individual... give your head a shake.
I've seen guys knock down gates, tear off No Hunting signs, cut fences.
I've seen an outfitter with a bladed bushgaurd on his truck (WMU 208) and seen fences with tire tracks going through them and nicely cut wires... I'm no genius, but I can put 2 & 2 together.
I've witnessed animals shot from and drug out to roads were people had no permission. We sat and waited for the Fish Cops and watched them only get their hands slapped. This was on land belonging to my hunting partners family and no one was supposed to be on it besides us.
I've lost a tree stand and so have people I know. Trail cameras as well.
I had our farm gates broken twice last year and storage containers broke into. The last time there were truck tracks in the snow (Duratrac), a shotgun shell and pieces of clay pigeons that had obviously come out of the guys truck.

There are tons of low life's in all walks of life!! Don't pretend that hunters couldn't be a part in this. It's to bad that the OP feels the way he does, but I do t blame him 1 bit. I'd do the same... There's a good chance it was someone else, by there's a good chance it was the guys hunting his land too.
What you're describing sounds more like trespassers who happen to be "hunters" than true hunters who have opted to attain permission and develop a relationship with the landowners. It's no secret there are rotten apples out there, but I'd bet that they're not likely to be the ones getting permission.

Still, sorry to the OP that you were stolen from. I hope you reconsider but respect your right to deny access.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltmania View Post
What you're describing sounds more like trespassers who happen to be "hunters" than true hunters who have opted to attain permission and develop a relationship with the landowners. It's no secret there are rotten apples out there, but I'd bet that they're not likely to be the ones getting permission.

Still, sorry to the OP that you were stolen from. I hope you reconsider but respect your right to deny access.

Exactly. It's getting hard to judge who's good and trustworthy and those who aren't...
It's really sad and hopefully the OP can regain his trust and allow some good sportsman access again.