Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-05-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anstein View Post
Hey All. I could use some advise on where to go for an Elk in WMU 212. It's the only thing I can get with a General Tag. I am elegant to use a Crossbow in Archery only Season. I don't have my contact of people that own land that would allow access, especially this late in the year. I was aware that generally, permission is given out in August.

Would really appreciate some advise, or a hunting buddy.
Cheers,
Andreas
The General tag season is over in 212. The late season hunt where you can use a crossbow is a draw.
Old 01-19-2020, 11:17 AM

Default Re: hunting partner

Hey all. Hope everyone had some success this past fall. I'm an avid and serious Bowhunter looking for a similar minded hunter to get out for elk this fall in the foothills and mountains. I've been hunting since I was 16 with my bow, and now at 47, I'd say I have a bit of experience. Lol. I have taken several elk, moose, deer and bears over the years. (Let's not talk about the blown opportunities)
I'm hoping to do a few 2 to 4 day trips with camp on my back. But, I'm also good with hunting out of a base camp with quads or bikes to commute.
I don't have secret spots, nor do I exploit others spots that they take me too. I know it's public land for the most part where we hunt, but I still have a respect level to not hunt someone's honey hole without them.
My main reason for wanting an occasional hunting partner is for 2 reasons (well 3, if you count my wife's concern for me hunting alone). Safety while being several miles back from any access, and to help pack out meat in our grizzly infested mountains.
If you're interested in meeting up for a hunt or two this fall, let me know. I have almost all of Sept off. (except 3 days) I plan on filling the freezer. Fall hunting prep starts now! Fail to plan, plan to fail. Cheers (Oh, BTW, I live in Sherwood Park)

Last edited by Dougewasiuk; 01-19-2020 at 11:40 AM.
Old 02-02-2020, 12:30 AM

Default April hunt

Hello all. I'm actually looking to see if anyone wants to fill a spot for an Africa hunt I purchased. I had a couple back out, and the hunt is the end of April which is just around the corner! Please feel free to message me with any questions.

Last edited by Huntzman; 02-02-2020 at 12:37 AM.
Old 02-09-2020, 02:54 AM

Default New Hunter

Hey All,

I'm a rookie hunter - super rookie at that. Never been hunting but want to start. I have my own rifle, scope, etc. but just looking to see if anyone would be interested in showing me the ropes. Would be great to meet new people too. I'm just outside Calgary and looking to hunt either deer or elk.

Thanks!
Old 02-25-2020, 05:05 PM

Default Spring bear

Hey,
Anyone looking to get after some spring black bear? I’m looking to plan a couple hunts, and with the warm weather coming early they should be out and about.
In the Calgary area, travelling is no issue.
Old 03-04-2020, 03:54 AM

I may be up for joining you, but I'm a 100% newbie when it comes to bear.
Old 03-15-2020, 09:24 AM

I'm still looking for a hunting partner / mentor. I'm mid 30's, fit and willing to flush / scout / glass / pack meat and don't care if I am the trigger man as I want to learn the craft.

I have some decent kit, know how to be quiet and am happy to bow or rifle hunt deer/elk/bear/wolf/coyote. I shoot IPSC, am a range officer and understand safety and marksmanship.

It has been a few years of trying to get my feet wet on a deer hunt but so far I have had no luck finding a mentor.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowbenny View Post
Hey,
Anyone looking to get after some spring black bear? I’m looking to plan a couple hunts, and with the warm weather coming early they should be out and about.
In the Calgary area, travelling is no issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntzman View Post
I may be up for joining you, but I'm a 100% newbie when it comes to bear.
I'm also new to spring bear but would enjoy walking the woods in 406 or 308.
Old 04-01-2020, 02:15 PM

All the Calgary people looking for hunting partner , shoot me a PM !
Old 04-03-2020, 01:26 PM

Default Cold Lake area

I am new to Cold Lake (military), previously hunted in SK for 2 years and 20+ years in Europe, so I can say Im an avid hunter since I was a kid.
Got a truck and all the gear for hiking/camping. I would like to hunt big game in the area so if you need a partner, here I am, my non plus ultra would be sheep but I have no high hopes. At the moment spring bear is on my plate.
Cheers!
Old 04-18-2020, 05:01 PM

Default Hunting Partner

Looking for a hunting partner around Edmonton. Holla if you want one.
Old 05-08-2020, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanshorthairpointer View Post
All the Calgary people looking for hunting partner , shoot me a PM !
All ways wanted a hunting partner that owns a German shorthair pointer !
To bad you don't live in Edmonton
Old 05-08-2020, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougewasiuk View Post
Hey all. Hope everyone had some success this past fall. I'm an avid and serious Bowhunter looking for a similar minded hunter to get out for elk this fall in the foothills and mountains. I've been hunting since I was 16 with my bow, and now at 47, I'd say I have a bit of experience. Lol. I have taken several elk, moose, deer and bears over the years. (Let's not talk about the blown opportunities)
I'm hoping to do a few 2 to 4 day trips with camp on my back. But, I'm also good with hunting out of a base camp with quads or bikes to commute.
I don't have secret spots, nor do I exploit others spots that they take me too. I know it's public land for the most part where we hunt, but I still have a respect level to not hunt someone's honey hole without them.
My main reason for wanting an occasional hunting partner is for 2 reasons (well 3, if you count my wife's concern for me hunting alone). Safety while being several miles back from any access, and to help pack out meat in our grizzly infested mountains.
If you're interested in meeting up for a hunt or two this fall, let me know. I have almost all of Sept off. (except 3 days) I plan on filling the freezer. Fall hunting prep starts now! Fail to plan, plan to fail. Cheers (Oh, BTW, I live in Sherwood Park)
If you wish to get in the back country this spring / summer, I plan on doing some mountain hikes, starting soon, pm if you wish, Im located 45 min south of you.
Old 05-11-2020, 11:43 PM

Thumbs up

I know the seasons not for awhile yet but im new to upland/waterfowl hunting i am just getting into it this year. don't know much about the sport but trying to do as much research on AB regs, T&T's, general info on bird game hunting before the season opens up but theres only so much i can do by myself it would be sweet to go hunting with some guys that could share some knowledge and have experience in hunting around the foothills region (calgary area). holla if you even wanna go shoot clays sometime.
Old 06-04-2020, 01:11 PM

Hey all, I'm located in Central Alberta (Red Deer) and am 27 years old. I obtained my firearms license about 2 years ago and had my first hunting season last year. I continue to read and watch educational videos, but these are only taking me so far in the hobby. I head out to crown land when I can to work on my rifle shooting skills and I was out hunting about 4 different days last year . I'm wondering if there is perhaps a passionate hunter or firearms owner that would be interested in mentoring to share some of their knowledge with an amateur up and coming hunter. Things like going shooting together, discussing hunting plans, scouting potential hunt spots.

Pretty much my entire family have never even held a firearm and the few hunters on my wife's side haven't shot or hunted in a few decades and they mostly only have "back in the day stories".

I realize this is a lot to ask of someone. But I would hope the mentorship could work both ways in that I can share harvest, covering some costs etc. If this sounds like something you might be interested in then shoot me a PM or leave a comment.
Old 06-07-2020, 10:21 AM

Default Looking for hunting partner

Hello All

I am looking for a hunting partner for the fall rifle hunt. I live in edmonton and able to travel prefer northern alberta. I am a senior and its been 55 years since i lasted hunted. I am hoping to find a partner that can teach this old dog how to hunt properly all over again.

aljpall@gmail.com
Old 06-07-2020, 11:17 AM

[QUOTE=aljpall;4182919]Hello All

I am looking for a hunting partner for the fall rifle hunt. I live in edmonton and able to travel prefer northern alberta. I am a senior and its been 55 years since i lasted hunted. I am hoping to find a partner that can teach this old dog how to hunt properly all over again.

aljpall@gmail.com[/QUOTE

Welcome aljpail ,gathering from your post you must be around 75 + or -
We have a lot of seniors on this site . May be you should give us more info like ,what you want to hunt ,big game ,birds etc.
Do you have a quad or truck. Regs .have changed a lot also in 55 years . We now have to apply for big game hunts in certain zones like a lottery .So Hopefully you have a win card ,then go on Alberta Relm and start applying for your moose draw etc. I believe it ends June 18 or 26
Old 06-08-2020, 10:29 PM

Default New-ish hunter and avid hiker looking for hunting buddies or mentor

Hey! I'd love to find a good hunting buddy or two (or mentor) to go prepare our hunts this fall and explore the backcountry.

Moved to Calgary from Ottawa a couple of years ago. I grew up fishing and grouse hunting and only recently got into deer hunting, got my first one last year with dad.

Really love the outdoors and looking for animals while I'm out hiking, camping, skiing, snowshoeing, etc. I pretty much spend all my weekends going around Alberta and BC to find new spots to explore. I'm really excited about any hunting opportunities, including dusky, grouse, pheasant, deer, elk, and even sheep if someone's keen! I particularly like going up in the Alpine, but I'm not too fussy and open to anything. I also dabble in fly fishing for trout (cutthroat, rainbow, brook and bull).

I'm 37, fit enough, not afraid of bad weather, to camps wherever or to walk long distances with a full back pack. I have my hunting equipment and everything camping.

Let me know if you'd be interested in chatting!

MD
Old 06-10-2020, 08:37 PM

[quote=-jr-;4182954]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aljpall View Post
hello all

i am looking for a hunting partner for the fall rifle hunt. I live in edmonton and able to travel prefer northern alberta. I am a senior and its been 55 years since i lasted hunted. I am hoping to find a partner that can teach this old dog how to hunt properly all over again.

I am 69 years old and I have not hunted since i was 15. For this coming season i just wanted to do a deer hunt. also this season to be the start of a learning season as well.Next season i may want to hunt bigger game moose or elk. Using firearms is not a issue I am a RSO as well as a competition shooter and have been for a number of years .Yes I have access to a quad as well as a ground blind also have most of the other equipment needed.I also have my win car as well i bought a cross bow to hunt with for next season.
With finding a hunting partner i am to learn a lot as well as possibly developmenting a longer term hunting partner.
If any one has question please ask thanks in advance
have a good and safe day.

aljpall@gmail.com[/quote

welcome aljpail ,gathering from your post you must be around 75 + or -
we have a lot of seniors on this site . May be you should give us more info like ,what you want to hunt ,big game ,birds etc.
Do you have a quad or truck. Regs .have changed a lot also in 55 years . We now have to apply for big game hunts in certain zones like a lottery .so hopefully you have a win card ,then go on alberta relm and start applying for your moose draw etc. I believe it ends june 18 or 26

Last edited by aljpall; 06-10-2020 at 08:53 PM. Reason: adding information
Old 06-24-2020, 10:22 AM

Default Hunting buddies/mentors around Edmonton

Hello, I have moved to Edmonton from Vancouver 2 years ago (before everybody laughs it is better: pay, real estate, schools and yes, even climate: cold but sunny!) Anyway, I am looking for a hunting buddy (buddies), I do not have much hunting experience, but I have had firearms since the 90s, love outdoors (canoe, hike, camping etc. in this amazing country!). I’m not limiting myself to any particular game, just would really like to be out there and learn hunting…..I have all the gear, including a truck, but don’t have ATV yet, so it’s hiking for me for now. I am 52, fairly fit, good sense of humor, not afraid of work, ethical hunter not minding sharing a beverage after the guns are put away. I also have a 20 years old son, who shares similar interests, we both have PALs and hunting licenses. We have just applied for a membership at the Canadian Historical Arms Society, so we are open to meet and have fun there too. Thanks!
Old 06-25-2020, 08:47 PM

I to do not have a lot of hunting experience.Its been 55 years since I last hunted And what we both need is a experience hunter to show us the correct way to hunt process game etc. I also think once this is done I would welcome a experienced hunting partner to hunt with ever year. You got to remember I am a old dog that needs to be taught new tricks.
Old 07-09-2020, 11:20 AM

Default New Hunter Help/Mentor

Hey all, I'm located in Edmonton and am 28 years old. I got my firearms license about 5 years ago but have only been out to the range regularly and haven’t gotten into hunting but now want to go out this fall. I’ve been reading up on and watching videos on tactics and strategies etc but these are only so good and nothing beats real world hands on experience. I'm wondering if there is perhaps an experienced hunter that would be willing to mentor and share some of their knowledge with new up and coming hunter. Things like going shooting together, discussing hunting plans, scouting potential hunt spots. I applied for elk and mule deer but not surprisingly didn’t get the tags this year so I’ll be trying for whitetail in the fall.
I’m big on safety and responsible harvesting, fit and can walk/hike in if needed. I realize this is a lot to ask of someone. I am willing to share harvest, covering some costs etc. If this sounds like something you might be interested in then send me a PM.
Old 07-12-2020, 04:41 PM

Default New hunter

32. Hinton area. Looking to hunt with bow. Have the basic hunting kit that was recommended on these forums last year. Never put an animal down yet. Don’t have a quad but I do have a truck. Looking for a mentor as well as a second set of eyes with all the bears around here.
Old 07-17-2020, 12:40 PM

Default Who's looking for a Hunting Partner ???

[QUOTE=Bertamechanic;4201609]32. Hinton area. Looking to hunt with bow. Have the basic hunting kit that was recommended on these forums last year. Never put an animal down yet. Don’t have a quad but I do have a truck. Looking for a mentor as well as a second set of eyes with all the bears around here.

I am a second year bow hunter, local of Edmonton been out lots in 248,
don’t know Hinton area to well but have been religiously on iHunter app looking and planning a few scouts and hunts Hinton area want an elk in the worst way
as a father of five children it’s time to fill the freezer!
Hopefully
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by DadHedt; 07-17-2020 at 12:48 PM.
Old 07-17-2020, 03:33 PM

sorry i do not live anywhere near hinton will be hunting 503 504 506 the areas i am hunting you would need a quad i am also looking for a partner that can teach me the right way to hunt with both rifle and bow.
Old 08-03-2020, 04:03 PM

Default Still looking for an early season Elk hunting partner

Retired hunter in Calgary looking for a reliable partner. I have all the equipment needed for an extended wall tent hunt.

You will need a quad and your personal gear.

Plan on scouting some new territory this month, as my old area is shut down for the early Sept hunt.

If you are a big drinker please don't reply. Only looking for safe,ethical and serious partner.
Old 08-05-2020, 09:16 PM

Default New to big game

I’m a long time hunter but new to big game. I’ve been hunting birds since I was old enough to walk and I have a real good pointer that I’m happy to share. But in the last few years I’ve been getting more interested in learning to be a successful big game hunter and entering the draws and building some priorities. I know quite a lot about the wild areas of Alberta. I have a lot of backcountry experience including trekking and a bit of mountaineering, but I’ve never really known where to get started hunting for deer and elk. I’m not the biggest guy but I keep marathon fit (I run 1 or 2 a year) and I can cover 30km on foot with a pack in a day in any terrain. I’m drawn to wild areas and I’m more interested in hunting Alberta’s wilderness areas than from a vehicle or in field (not that I begrudge those that do). In some ways the rougher the better. My interest in hunting lies in the experience, the wild areas, and the grass-fed meat, more than trophies(though I appreciate those too).

If any of that sounds like a match with anyone, I’m looking to meet up with a like-minded hunter(s), especially anyone willing to show me around the big-game game. I’m keen to learn the trade and happy to help out with packing. I’m hoping to go for whitetail this year. Shoot me a PM. As mentioned, I’m happy to share by bird experience and my dog. I’m also a very experience fly fisherman if anyone is looking to get into that.
Old 08-07-2020, 06:21 PM

Default 408B non-trophy sheep

If you got drawn this season and need a partner...so,do I.
Old 08-09-2020, 08:54 AM

Default Bow Hunting

I am going now hunting for, mule, white and elk.

If you are from Calgary area or close and would like to come along please contact me.
Old 08-11-2020, 03:13 PM

Default sherpa needed??

I'm interested in tagging along with a sheep hunter(s)to help with all duties. I'm from Sask so obviously won't be hunting but very interested in being a part of this. I've guided 5 seasons in Alta and 2 in Yukon but never been able to experience sheep. Due to covid, my regular outfitter has no need for guides so I'm hoping there is some opportunity here. Bit of a flexible schedule to work with also.