Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-15-2014, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post
can i use a crossbow?
Atlatl or bust....crossbow slobs....
Old 12-15-2014, 03:22 PM

Wasn't going to hunt this year as I was way too busy, but this seems like a great second chance to throw the name in the hat!. Just got an email regarding this.
Old 12-15-2014, 04:10 PM

good one !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
Will the weather be nice?

Are elk delicious?

Which gun/calibre is best?

What if I have to go #2?
Old 12-15-2014, 06:45 PM

Can a guy apply for both seasons to increase odds? Or is it pick one season only? Didn't see that specified anywhere.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganderblaster View Post
Can a guy apply for both seasons to increase odds? Or is it pick one season only? Didn't see that specified anywhere.

If everyone applies for both the odds are the same for everyone

My understanding is you can only put in for one season.

LC
Old 12-15-2014, 08:34 PM

Default Ohv

Are you allowed to use an OHV to recover the animal?
Old 12-15-2014, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
From my understanding, YES all heads are submitted for prion testing.

You must not be familiar with CFB, BATA's works with civilians every day and has for the inception of this agreement on these lands. Did they remove all the oil and gas activity there when I wasn't looking ? These as well are the public and are worked with each and every day.

Look back 20 years ago and the costs to manage this beautiful area, look at todays cost.... There is no off set cost here, never was until these elk were introduced, them jumping fence wild horses really were not an issue
Yes all heads are turned in and they do get tested. However it is a volunteer process and everyone has been 100 percent complient in the last 2 yrs . It is the only way to ensure the herd is not infective.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abab View Post

I don't want to be a tool, this has been answered. Please read the thread before posting questions. Every conceivable question about this hunt has already been answered here. If you do have a genuine new question then by all means ask it, that's what we're all here for. Come on guys, stop asking the same questions over and over...
Old 12-15-2014, 08:49 PM

Default Both weeks in February?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganderblaster View Post
There are a number of unknowns still and exactly how this is going to work is not yet clear. I expect that you will get to pick the week - it seems unlikely they can risk pulling a name and then find out that guy can't hunt that week. But whatever they do, someone on this forum will know how to do it better.

The best news is that there will be 250 licenses and we all get a lottery chance at all of them - if we can hunt anytime. If you're restricted to one week or the other, it seems likely your odds decrease by half - but that's simply my guess.

We will know a lot more when we sign on to AlbertaRelm January 5. And the rules will be the same for all.

And of course with a little luck, we will get the FN hunters to come help out and take an extra few cows and bulls. That will help us even more because once this herd is under control, this hunt will be the management choice in perpetuity. I know there are some who dislike the FN hunters rights, but there's a crisis and we need this herd hunted down hard and fast. We need their help. (I'd take one of those bulls in a heartbeat too if I had the right.)

Notice that there could easily be over a thousand cows taken this year, cutting the number of cows born next spring by 500. 3 years ago they took up to 150 cows. Last year, 300 and this year over 1100 seems likely - maybe more. Note also the rather quick decision to introduce a quota hunt with 2 tags per license. The decision-makers seem very committed to a hunting solution and we should encourage them and expect to see even more success next year - I am hoping for 2 tags per license if they can get us to take two each in February.

But if I was a betting man I'd bet there will be at least 600 cow licenses next year and if February goes as well as they expect, there will be 2 tags per license. It's possible we will see 8 weeks at 125 licenses/week at 2 tags each. That's serious progress. And once this cow herd is down, someone is going to harvest a few thousand bulls. That's the prize. Thousands. Seriously. They must be harvested. I am guessing at least 3000 bulls need harvesting within the next 5 years. I am no biologist but it's hard to imagine all of them are going travelling looking for love. The ratio must be controlled.

Buy your freezer as soon as they go on sale. That's a lot of meat son.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:03 PM

Default Ohv

Quote:
Originally Posted by abab View Post
I get your question. It's hard to imagine how this place operates if you've never been there. And no one wants to read this entire thread.

No OHV. But you can drive to your animal with your truck almost certainly. And the base personnel are amazing. If an animal is down, you will get it to your truck and you won't use your own OHV. It will solve itself if you've hunted before. You can always quarter an animal if necessary. Everybody has got their animal out without an OHV and you will too.

Of course there could be ridiculous amounts of snow. But you will still get your cow out.

Don't sweat the details. Apply. Take at least one friend. Make friends with the other hunters at the briefing and as you drive around the base. Help everyone with an animal down load their cow - you will have time to hunt for your own after.

But do it just to see the bulls. Harvest your cows as icing but the bulls are inspiring.

Default February suffield cow elk quota hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawckeye View Post
Yes all heads are turned in and they do get tested. However it is a volunteer process and everyone has been 100 percent complient in the last 2 yrs . It is the only way to ensure the herd is not infective.

According to the regs, head submission is mandatory not voluntary (item 3 below). Hence why there's 100% compliance. For everybody I'm cutting and pasting the entire Suffield rules from the 2014 regs here. These were published in the 2014 draws booklet. I'm sure that this quota hunt will abide by all the same rules. Hopefully this will clarify some stuff for all of the new people investigating this hunt.

Things to note are the requirement for blaze orange, morning safety briefings, OHV restrictions. The only thing not mentioned here is that some of the guys said they did require proof of vehicle registration and insurance when you enter the property.

CFB Suffield is used for general military training including live firing of various types of artillery, mortars, rockets, bombs and small arms. Unlike other training areas in Canada, these munitions may have been fired anywhere within CFB Suffield and may continue to pose a danger to those who enter. Likewise, CFB Suffield is much larger and much more challenging to navigate within than any other training area in Canada. For these reasons, hunters are required to follow special Range specific regulations for their own safety. The Base reserves the right to cancel scheduled seasons without notice.

Vehicle Access and Search

CFB Suffield roads and trails are very rough and not suited to typical highway passenger vehicles. Four wheel drive vehicles with good mud and snow tires are highly recommended. A valid driver's licence, vehicle registration and proof of valid insurance are required to access the Base. In addition, the hunter must register the make, model and calibre of their hunting rifle they will be using. Please have documents ready for inspection on arrival at the Hunter Check Station to minimize delays for everyone. All persons and vehicles entering and leaving the Base are subject to search.

Check-In/Check Out Procedures

1. All hunters must report in at the Hunter Check Station daily on the days that they hunt (HCS) for a Safety Briefing. Anyone late for the safety briefs for that day will not be allowed to hunt. The HCS will be open until all hunters have checked out. Failure to check out will result in loss of access privileges.
2. Licence holders will be restricted to specific hunting areas at all times while hunting at CFB Suffield. These areas will be monitored by military personnel and patrolled by Alberta Fish and Wildlife Officers. Failure to stay within the assigned area will result in loss of access privileges.
3. Upon checking out, heads from all harvested animals must be submitted for Chronic Wasting Disease testing. Please remove heads in the field to facilitate the Check-Out procedure.

Military Requirements

1. Military use of the Base is paramount and subject to change on short notice.
2. All hunters must receive a Safety Briefing and sign a liability Waiver before being given access privileges.
3. "Off Highway Vehicles" (snowmobiles, all terrain vehicles etc) are not permitted within CFB Suffield during this special hunt.
4. All persons in the hunting party must wear blaze orange or solid red outer wear to increase their visibility.
5. No overnight camping and no open fires are allowed.
6. No alcohol or drugs for which the person does not have a prescription are allowed on the Base and any person in violation or under their influence will result in the loss of access privileges and potential criminal charges.
7. Due to liability issues the military will not assist hunters with vehicles that are stuck or have mechanical problems. Hunters must make their own towing arrangements.

Last edited by WilsonMS; 12-15-2014 at 09:09 PM.

I think the fee for tags should be a lot higher and draw left open until all tags have been purchased. With such a low cost I'm afraid anybody and everybody will apply with the hope that just maybe I'll be able to get out. Set the tag fee at $100 and then unless you actually plan on going you won't waste a tag that someone else could have actually used.
Just my 2 cents
Old 12-15-2014, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supraman View Post
I think the fee for tags should be a lot higher and draw left open until all tags have been purchased. With such a low cost I'm afraid anybody and everybody will apply with the hope that just maybe I'll be able to get out. Set the tag fee at $100 and then unless you actually plan on going you won't waste a tag that someone else could have actually used.
Just my 2 cents
With draw results coming out Jan 20th and with the hunt early to mid February...I wonder how many tags will not be purchased.

LC
Old 12-15-2014, 09:33 PM

Thanks. I agree there is a ton of info on here. Appreciate the answer
Old 12-15-2014, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phshrmn View Post
I get your question. It's hard to imagine how this place operates if you've never been there. And no one wants to read this entire thread.

No OHV. But you can drive to your animal with your truck almost certainly. And the base personnel are amazing. If an animal is down, you will get it to your truck and you won't use your own OHV. It will solve itself if you've hunted before. You can always quarter an animal if necessary. Everybody has got their animal out without an OHV and you will too.

Of course there could be ridiculous amounts of snow. But you will still get your cow out.

Don't sweat the details. Apply. Take at least one friend. Make friends with the other hunters at the briefing and as you drive around the base. Help everyone with an animal down load their cow - you will have time to hunt for your own after.
But do it just to see the bulls. Harvest your cows as icing but the bulls are inspiring.

Thanks very much for this post. I intend to apply, and if I was drawn, I was concerned on how I would manage it alone. This cleared up a lot of questions for me.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody1948 View Post
Thanks very much for this post. I intend to apply, and if I was drawn, I was concerned on how I would manage it alone. This cleared up a lot of questions for me.
Agreed thanks.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawckeye View Post
Incorrect on both fronts here, heads for submission are mandatory on the base but not outside the perimeter...

So, your comment about ensuring the health of the herd makes no sense really as if this were the case, ALL surrounding areas would be included in the mandatory submission..

Can anyone explain why the difference in this process ?
Old 12-16-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonMS View Post
According to the regs, head submission is mandatory not voluntary (item 3 below). Hence why there's 100% compliance. For everybody I'm cutting and pasting the entire Suffield rules from the 2014 regs here. These were published in the 2014 draws booklet. I'm sure that this quota hunt will abide by all the same rules. Hopefully this will clarify some stuff for all of the new people investigating this hunt.

Things to note are the requirement for blaze orange, morning safety briefings, OHV restrictions. The only thing not mentioned here is that some of the guys said they did require proof of vehicle registration and insurance when you enter the property.

CFB Suffield is used for general military training including live firing of various types of artillery, mortars, rockets, bombs and small arms. Unlike other training areas in Canada, these munitions may have been fired anywhere within CFB Suffield and may continue to pose a danger to those who enter. Likewise, CFB Suffield is much larger and much more challenging to navigate within than any other training area in Canada. For these reasons, hunters are required to follow special Range specific regulations for their own safety. The Base reserves the right to cancel scheduled seasons without notice.

Vehicle Access and Search

CFB Suffield roads and trails are very rough and not suited to typical highway passenger vehicles. Four wheel drive vehicles with good mud and snow tires are highly recommended. A valid driver's licence, vehicle registration and proof of valid insurance are required to access the Base. In addition, the hunter must register the make, model and calibre of their hunting rifle they will be using. Please have documents ready for inspection on arrival at the Hunter Check Station to minimize delays for everyone. All persons and vehicles entering and leaving the Base are subject to search.

Check-In/Check Out Procedures

1. All hunters must report in at the Hunter Check Station daily on the days that they hunt (HCS) for a Safety Briefing. Anyone late for the safety briefs for that day will not be allowed to hunt. The HCS will be open until all hunters have checked out. Failure to check out will result in loss of access privileges.
2. Licence holders will be restricted to specific hunting areas at all times while hunting at CFB Suffield. These areas will be monitored by military personnel and patrolled by Alberta Fish and Wildlife Officers. Failure to stay within the assigned area will result in loss of access privileges.
3. Upon checking out, heads from all harvested animals must be submitted for Chronic Wasting Disease testing. Please remove heads in the field to facilitate the Check-Out procedure.

Military Requirements

1. Military use of the Base is paramount and subject to change on short notice.
2. All hunters must receive a Safety Briefing and sign a liability Waiver before being given access privileges.
3. "Off Highway Vehicles" (snowmobiles, all terrain vehicles etc) are not permitted within CFB Suffield during this special hunt.
4. All persons in the hunting party must wear blaze orange or solid red outer wear to increase their visibility.
5. No overnight camping and no open fires are allowed.
6. No alcohol or drugs for which the person does not have a prescription are allowed on the Base and any person in violation or under their influence will result in the loss of access privileges and potential criminal charges.
7. Due to liability issues the military will not assist hunters with vehicles that are stuck or have mechanical problems. Hunters must make their own towing arrangements.
Does anyone know what the roads are really like? only have 1 vehicle and that sounds a bit iffy.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:26 AM

Not wanting to start an argument but am I the only one with reservations about killing a cow 3/4 the way through her gestational period?
I understand this is a cull and what the purpose is but it just seems wrong to me.
Depending where they are shot and how long before you gut them chances are the calf will still be alive and about the size of a smaller yellow lab...seems messed up to me.
Next question is if you were to shoot a cow do you intend to salvage the meat of the calf at all?
Old 12-16-2014, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
Not wanting to start an argument but am I the only one with reservations about killing a cow 3/4 the way through her gestational period?
I understand this is a cull and what the purpose is but it just seems wrong to me.
Depending where they are shot and how long before you gut them chances are the calf will still be alive and about the size of a smaller yellow lab...seems messed up to me.
Next question is if you were to shoot a cow do you intend to salvage the meat of the calf at all?
That's the point of this hunt....take a cow that has an unborn calf, the 250 tags per season could mean a reduction of 500 elk best case scenario per season.

I sure wouldn't salvage the calf if she had one.....you know what "balut" is?

LC
Old 12-16-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
No you are not the only one.There was one other poster who had trouble with it,However you must realise this is a management hunt.The only goal here is to reduce the herd size,so if the cows are pregnant all the more reason to cull them now.
I see LC beat me to it.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:35 AM

Can anyone confirm rules on sheds on the base? I can take a guess but I have not found any info relating to sheds. At that time of year there should be a few on the ground.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu321 View Post
Can anyone confirm rules on sheds on the base? I can take a guess but I have not found any info relating to sheds. At that time of year there should be a few on the ground.
Something I am interested in as well.
Sit back
Pour yourself a tea

Watch us "sportsmen" attack each other and destroy ourselves from within.

From road hunters vs "real hunters" to bowhunters vs rifle hunters, long bows and recurves vs compound user to bow vs crossbow to white hunters vs Native hunters etc etc etc

Enjoy the easy ride, anti hunters. Strange to me why we seem to be doing your job for you.

Excuse me while I go puke.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:39 AM

Does anyone know what happens if you shoot a bull that has already dropped his antlers?Bieng its cow only,others had mentioned long shots may be the rule rather than the exception.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseelk View Post
Does anyone know what happens if you shoot a bull that has already dropped his antlers?Bieng its cow only,others had mentioned long shots may be the rule rather than the exception.
Antlerless is antlerless.....

LC
Old 12-16-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Gutless method oughtta save some heartache....

Salvage the meat?...come one man! This hunt is only taking place 2-3 weeks after the ending of the "normal" late season cow elk hunts that occur throughout many WMUs. Herd reduction is the name of the game and I am happy that lisence purchasing hunters are being used as a management tool.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
That's the point of this hunt....take a cow that has an unborn calf, the 250 tags per season could mean a reduction of 500 elk best case scenario per season.

I sure wouldn't salvage the calf if she had one.....you know what "balut" is?

LC
Not until I just Googled it but it appears to be a cooked bird fetus.
I seen that on the TV show Life Below Zero the one guy had caribou fetus he got from the cow he shot.

I would assume a fetus should be about 30lbs at the time of this hunt ...have no clue if the meat would be salvageable and how much there really would be. but I would assume about as much as a lamb.

Last edited by Mike_W; 12-16-2014 at 10:55 AM.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseelk View Post
No you are not the only one.There was one other poster who had trouble with it,However you must realise this is a management hunt.The only goal here is to reduce the herd size,so if the cows are pregnant all the more reason to cull them now.
I see LC beat me to it.
I understand the purpose I don't know why I would just rather see this early season than this late like we are talking 2-3 months before they are suppose to give birth.

Killing a cow is September or October still results in the same kill one minus two theory probably with better participation than in the late season.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon View Post
Gutless method oughtta save some heartache....

Salvage the meat?...come one man! This hunt is only taking place 2-3 weeks after the ending of the "normal" late season cow elk hunts that occur throughout many WMUs. Herd reduction is the name of the game and I am happy that lisence purchasing hunters are being used as a management tool.
I don't participate in late season hunts either, I thought the December hunt was borderline before and now with it extending into Jan I don't like the thought of it.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu321 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Oatey View Post
Something I am interested in as well.

BIG no-no. You will be told emphatically at the first safety briefing "IF YOU DID NOT DROP IT, DO NOT PICK IT UP" Removal of sheds (or any other material) is considered illegal. Military (Range Patrol) & other LEOs have the right to stop and search any vehicle on the base and if you are caught with sheds you will likely be asked to leave and not allowed to return.