Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-21-2012, 03:23 PM
Banned

I think this is the best idea. I hope saskatchewan does the same thing. Sick and tired of all these archery guys shooting monsters with high crops when the bucks are stupid.

JMO
Old 06-21-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCCFisherman View Post
I think this is the best idea. I hope saskatchewan does the same thing. Sick and tired of all these archery guys shooting monsters with high crops when the bucks are stupid.

JMO
Sounds like something an ignorant gun hunter would say......some people know how to hunt and get close. Sorry but burning a hole through an animal at 200yrds takes no skill.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:33 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBFK View Post
Sounds like something an ignorant gun hunter would say......some people know how to hunt and get close. Sorry but burning a hole through an animal at 200yrds takes no skill.
Attaboy!!!!....let's keep fighting amongst ourselves because each group is higher and mightier than the next......then the anti's win....SHEESH!!!!!!
Old 06-21-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Nice really nice anwser.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:21 PM

Him hot topic. I would pose the question, if bow hunting is getting quite popular (good). Why should they only be able to take 15%. Perhaps the total harvest for Rifle hunters should be dropped. Or perhaps they can both decrease the same amount. I hope not for either hunting type. Maybe have size restirctions.... For gun and bow. I like how that sounds, then we all get to go hunting which is good. But many deer get to grow old. Sorry I bow hunt and love the sport of it. Maybe make it harder for out of province hunters. Not impossible but harder.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:

JMO
Are they smarter in the rut ??? Just wondering !!

It hasnt happend yet , it might happen but as of now i hunting with my bow for 2012 , and im gonna go out into the field walk with the wind in my back and shoot the first buck i see which will be a 200"er, cause their in every field i hunt , and bow hunting takes no
skill or patience , and is no fun , cripes i dont know why i waist my time having fun hunting and enjoying the outdoors ,doing what drives my live ... Better yet i wish for less hunting opportunities, and to sit at the mall playing scrable with my metro sexual friends drinking starbuck coffee and shopping for lu lu lemon stretchy pants !! What ever you dont pick up a bow and try hunting its easy and you wont have fun in the outdoors!!
Old 06-21-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:

JMO
You are sick and tired of all these archery guys shooting monsters with high crops and bucks are stupid. Did you actually think about this statment before you typed it in

Do you think these monsters you talk about are so smart in November exspecially the last 10 days of november

There are way bigger issues here than bowhunters
Old 06-21-2012, 05:50 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop_Tine View Post
Are they smarter in the rut ??? Just wondering !!

It hasnt happend yet , it might happen but as of now i hunting with my bow for 2012 , and im gonna go out into the field walk with the wind in my back and shoot the first buck i see which will be a 200"er, cause their in every field i hunt , and bow hunting takes no
skill or patience , and is no fun , cripes i dont know why i waist my time having fun hunting and enjoying the outdoors ,doing what drives my live ... Better yet i wish for less hunting opportunities, and to sit at the mall playing scrable with my metro sexual friends drinking starbuck coffee and shopping for lu lu lemon stretchy pants !! What ever you dont pick up a bow and try hunting its easy and you wont have fun in the outdoors!!
you're making yourself sound like a whiny 12 year old....easy, big fella!!!
Old 06-21-2012, 05:54 PM

Quote:

JMO
LOL...funniest post in this thread yet! Thanks for that

.......it was a joke right????

LC
Old 06-21-2012, 05:56 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabers Best View Post
Him hot topic. I would pose the question, if bow hunting is getting quite popular (good). Why should they only be able to take 15%. Perhaps the total harvest for Rifle hunters should be dropped. Or perhaps they can both decrease the same amount. I hope not for either hunting type. Maybe have size restirctions.... For gun and bow. I like how that sounds, then we all get to go hunting which is good. But many deer get to grow old. Sorry I bow hunt and love the sport of it. Maybe make it harder for out of province hunters. Not impossible but harder.
Percentage of harvest is based on percentage of participants. Bow hunter numbers really haven't changed a lot in recent years.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Percentage of harvest is based on percentage of participants. Bow hunter numbers really haven't changed a lot in recent years.
Can you give me an example so I am sure I understand.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:27 PM

Quote:
I agree with bowhunter numbers being relatively stagnant ( around 15,000) .But I doubt harvest numbers have grown that much either! I would guess that they plot pretty similar parallel's on a graph !
Old 06-21-2012, 06:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Has anyone seen a elitist around here???

Gun/Bows/Spears.... Just go hunting.

Perhaps the whole thing should be put on draw, and if successful, you can use any tool you wish.

Jamie
Old 06-21-2012, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Has anyone seen a elitist around here???

Gun/Bows/Spears.... Just go hunting.

Perhaps the whole thing should be put on draw, and if successful, you can use any tool you wish.

Jamie
No elitist here! I'm just tired of bow hunters getting bashed by jealous people who don't partake In the sport.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:40 PM

I am glad they want to put it all on a draw. Why not? Make it so tha tif you get the draw then they have a bow and a gun season. That way if you want to bow hunt then you can do that and if you want to gun hunt then later on in the season it opens to allow you to fill a tag with a rifle. This is fair playing all across the board. Either gun or bow and there are no advantages one over the other this way. Fair is fair this way!!
Old 06-21-2012, 09:38 PM

How does everyone assume there are so many more outfitter tags in every zone than what residents get???

Any of the zones I have asked people about the resident tags always seem to be way more than what the outfitters get every year? Hard to find general tags numbers or landowner tags numbers....but comparing draw summary reports from last year to the outfitter numbers the resident draw tags are way higher than what outfitters get in those zones
Old 06-21-2012, 10:06 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
I agree with bowhunter numbers being relatively stagnant ( around 15,000) .But I doubt harvest numbers have grown that much either! I would guess that they plot pretty similar parallel's on a graph !
You are likely right. ESRD has never really enforced the 15% cap. They started last year with elk and moose and are now looking at mule deer for 2013.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:08 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch10 View Post
How does everyone assume there are so many more outfitter tags in every zone than what residents get???

Any of the zones I have asked people about the resident tags always seem to be way more than what the outfitters get every year? Hard to find general tags numbers or landowner tags numbers....but comparing draw summary reports from last year to the outfitter numbers the resident draw tags are way higher than what outfitters get in those zones
They should get more. It's supposed to be a 90/10 split.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:10 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabers Best View Post
Can you give me an example so I am sure I understand.

if bow hunters represent 15% of the number of hunters, they get 15% of the harvest.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:25 PM

Quote:
if bow hunters represent 15% of the number of hunters, they get 15% of the harvest.
tks.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just lucky View Post
I am glad they want to put it all on a draw. Why not? Make it so tha tif you get the draw then they have a bow and a gun season. That way if you want to bow hunt then you can do that and if you want to gun hunt then later on in the season it opens to allow you to fill a tag with a rifle. This is fair playing all across the board. Either gun or bow and there are no advantages one over the other this way. Fair is fair this way!!
X2
Old 06-21-2012, 10:48 PM

Raises a couple of questions/points for me;

1) How did they arrive at the harvest #'s? End of year surveys? Are they 100% truthful?

2) If this really is the initiative of 'rifle' hunters do they understand that the odds of getting drawn are now longer as 'X' bowhunters will now be putting in for a tag. If this really was someones axe to grind then they have pretty much reduced their own opportunity. I can see some of the real popular 'trophy' zones going to 10 years

3) If they are just going to take opportunity away where is the incentive for being truthful in future survey?

I am a little doubtful that 15% is accurate for many zones. It really matters not in the end. I hunt either way. Bang or Twang.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:53 PM
sheephunter

This is not a rifle hunter initiative...it was proposed by ESRD to bring the harvest in line with their guidelines of 15%

At least 95% of bow hunters are also rifle hunters so I'm not sure Wait times will increase. The reduced harvest should easily offset the slight increase in draw applicants.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:22 PM

Quote:
JMO
You could always do what I did, buy a bow and join the fun.

But it sounds like Saskatchewan is talking about the over the counter archery tags and possibly seeing changes in 2014.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:27 PM

Quote:
That would assume that archery hunters are as successful as rifle hunters.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:31 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scales View Post
That would assume that archery hunters are as successful as rifle hunters.
No it wouldn't. The number has nothing to do with success rates and everything to with harvest numbers. Archer numbers aren't limited by draw to 15% of tags they are on general unlike rifle hunters.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:35 PM

Default 15%

Not sure where the information has been gathered regarding stagnant numbers of bow hunters, because my experience is that the numbers are on the rise. I can personally account for approximately 10 new bowhunters in the last 2 years!
Which poses the question again, how has the harvest increased to the magic 15% if no new bow hunters have entered the game? Are people suggesting there have been great strides in the evolution of all bow hunters and they are now "killing machines"?
If the number of bow hunters has increased, the 15% cap should also.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:40 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
Not sure where the information has been gathered regarding stagnant numbers of bow hunters, because my experience is that the numbers are on the rise. I can personally account for approximately 10 new bowhunters in the last 2 years!
Which poses the question again, how has the harvest increased to the magic 15% if no new bow hunters have entered the game? Are people suggesting there have been great strides in the evolution of all bow hunters and they are now "killing machines"?
If the number of bow hunters has increased, the 15% cap should also.
Pretty simple to track archer numbers...they all need to buy a special licence. Those numbers don't lie.

Who saiod the harvest magically increased? It's just that ESRD is getting around to enforcing their cap. They began with elk and moose in 2011 and are moving to mule deer in 2013.

It's all pretty simple mathmatical formulas here....no magic., Anecdotally, however, I'd say more archers are targeting mule deer than used to. This could also account for an increased harvest as could advances in equipment. Either way, the number of archers in the province is a known.

Last edited by sheephunter; 06-21-2012 at 11:45 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:57 PM

Quote:
This is not a rifle hunter initiative...it was proposed by ESRD to bring the harvest in line with their guidelines of 15%

At least 95% of bow hunters are also rifle hunters so I'm not sure Wait times will increase. The reduced harvest should easily offset the slight increase in draw applicants.
True, but how many do not currently factor into the draw? I know a pile of bowhunters that will 999 or not even bother to apply since they just go out and hunt mulies on a general. If that were to change and they could not hunt mule deer close to home then they will apply. I'm thinking some central zones will see a substantial jump in applications.

We could both be making some big generalizations and maybe wait and see eh?

I see a huge disincentive as an archer to ever participate in their surveys again. I think most guys right now don't even give the real wmu if they harvest an animal on a general tag anyways.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:59 PM

T.J,

Is there a link somewhere that shows this information on the new rules in 2013 on the mule deer season? I am getting this correct that it is only certain zones that will be under draw or will it be provincial wide

Thanks.