Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-08-2009, 11:24 PM

not wrecking the thread at all... go back and have a look at it. Is that the way all of us want to be portrayed, give your head a shake. You shoot that moose in your avitar from camp with a beer in your hand BB??
Old 03-08-2009, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
not wrecking the thread at all... go back and have a look at it. Is that the way all of us want to be portrayed, give your head a shake. You shoot that moose in your avitar from camp with a beer in your hand BB??
All of us aren't being portrayed like that...he is!!!!!! And you dont know anything about what is going on in the pic so why make a comment like that????

You will be happy to know that I am a non drinker your Highness
Old 03-08-2009, 11:54 PM

I will agree with one thing.....there are a lot of things that go good with beer......guns arent one of them.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:30 AM
Gone Hunting

Man this stuff gets old. Do you even know what was going on in the pic? or do you just jump on another hunter.

Man it seems every thread here lately has some one jumping someone.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 03-09-2009, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Man this stuff gets old. Do you even know what was going on in the pic? or do you just jump on another hunter.

Man it seems every thread here lately has some one jumping someone.
Personally, I dont think its much different than posting a picture with yourself holding a beer while sitting in the driver's seat of a vehicle. A lot can be interpreted by it....both may be quite innocent but I think most would agree that photographs can be up for a lot of interpretation.....

Do I think it gives hunters a bad name? Heck no.....but it sure isnt the smartest thing in the world to be photographing.....

Last edited by Rackmastr; 03-09-2009 at 12:47 AM.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
Personally, I dont think its much different than posting a picture with yourself holding a beer while sitting in the driver's seat of a vehicle. A lot can be interpreted by it....

Do I think it gives hunters a bad name? Heck no.....but it sure isnt the smartest thing in the world to be photographing.....
Hell Boys.. Its unfortunate.. But what Rack says is basicly true. The part I think he has wrong is in the photography end.. Take the pics.. Take all the pics.. Just becarefull on what you post up on the net and what you show to unsuspecting folks.

All these pics remind me of great times in Hunting camps.

I will look tommorow and see if I can add to the pile.'

Our "newest" camp has us taking over a cook shack in Muni campground. We wrap it in fireproof polly, and then put in a comercial "HOT TOT" heater. Makes for a great cabin. We had guys sleep in it during -40 weather.. No issues.

Jamie
Old 03-09-2009, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Hell Boys.. Its unfortunate.. But what Rack says is basicly true. The part I think he has wrong is in the photography end.. Take the pics.. Take all the pics.. Just becarefull on what you post up on the net and what you show to unsuspecting folks.
Yep thats more what I meant.....hell I could look through a few of my albums at pics that bring back some funny memories but unless ya knew what was going on they could be interpreted quite differently....

Back to the main topic.....here was a camp from this fall on an elk hunt....

Old 03-09-2009, 01:00 AM
Gone Hunting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8Keo97K9cs

Old 03-09-2009, 07:19 AM

I never 'judged' anyone....I just said I dont agree with firearms and alcohol together at the same time. Same as I dont agree with alcohol and vehicles together at the same time......its something I was taught when I was younger and something that I hold as pretty important......

I dont appreciate seeing people with alcohol in a vehicle and I dont appreciate seeing alcohol with firearms. What people do in their own time is their own business and I WONT judge, but posting a pic of it on the internet is an invitation for a comment. I did not disrespect anyone but merely posted my opinion in a public forum about seein alcohol and firearms in the same pic....

By the way, good vids and although I've seen em before they are good for a laugh....
Old 03-09-2009, 11:11 AM

To me guns and beer go together like spaghetti and meatballs. When in camp, I have a couple or three(2 or 3 not 23) with my lunch. Not too sure what the big deal is. Isn't hunting about having some fun or are we all hunting as a means of survival.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:45 AM

Default 10 x 12 outfitter tent.

The first time we set up. In later trips, we switched the canvas around, so the door opened to the back side.

We put the awning up to serve as a kitchen, then when the frost set in, we extended it to cover the bikes.

I wanted to point out the home made broom we came up with while in the bush. You can just see it in the tinder box beside the stove. Willow sticks cable tied to a heavy willow branch ) Harry Potter would be proud!

Last edited by dcutter; 03-09-2009 at 07:05 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullpike View Post
To me guns and beer go together like spaghetti and meatballs. When in camp, I have a couple or three(2 or 3 not 23) with my lunch. Not too sure what the big deal is. Isn't hunting about having some fun or are we all hunting as a means of survival.
OK, I'll take the bait.

You're kidding, right? Unless you weigh 400 pounds, 3 beers at lunch most likely leaves you legally impaired, then you grab your gun and head back out hunting, and you're not sure what the big deal is? I won't even get into the obvious safety issues, but you really should read the the hunting regulations.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Irwin View Post
The first time we set up. In later trips, we switched the canvas around, so the door opened to the back side.
Great looking camp Bob. There just something about a wall tent with the fall colours in the background. Can't beat it.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:08 PM

Bob Irwin

That looks like a great camp andf very cozy.Do you guys find you sleep very good on those air mattresses??? I could never get comfortable on those things...I sleep better in my cot then my own bed

Great pics...thx for sharing...

RackMaster,

Open prairie camping looks pretty sweet..must have some great star filled nights out there...
Old 03-09-2009, 12:47 PM

Default How sweet it is.....

Nice pics guys! Here's a few of ours over the years. Some of them might have been posted before.

Camp Mascot......

Tuc and the boys!

Cow Elk....

Mule deer.....

Only trust a Honda....we worked on this baby all day and lost a day of hunting trying to get it running.

Camp Cook, peeling potatoes.....

Another year......

The big bad grizz comin to get Frank.....

Did you ever see anyone sleep with these on. Like he doesn't snore. Did I ever tell ya about the night I put snow in em.......lol

Last edited by Tuc; 03-09-2009 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:56 PM

Hey Tuc you have a story behind the Grizzly following the quad?
Old 03-09-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownBear416 View Post
Bob Irwin
Do you guys find you sleep very good on those air mattresses???

Open prairie camping looks pretty sweet..must have some great star filled nights out there...
Yeah, the air matresses were not the best choice. I needed to pad the crap out of mine with about 4 blankets to keep the cold off my back. Even with that little stove pumping heat, it seemed the matress was acting as an insulator between my a s s and the btu's The next time I went, I took my army cot and foam matress, and all was well.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:25 PM

Oh man there's some awesome camps here , makes me really jealous on what Ive missed out on . I was just speaking with Redneck Posse , saying that this year we will have to camp for a week at a time , and weekends . I will be buying a Wall tent this summer , and then to figure how to set it up will be the next battle . Awesome pictures guys , thanks for sharing .

Also Awesome picture with the Grizzly there Tuc .
Old 03-09-2009, 01:33 PM

I was really happy with the guys at Camper's Village. When I got home from the store, I realized they had given me the wrong set of poles. was on my way in the house when the salesman called me to tell me he had messed up! Took responsibility, and he sorted it out right away. I will definitely spend more money there. And the prices were far better than No-sale Sports
Old 03-09-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
I was just speaking with Redneck Posse , saying that this year we will have to camp for a week at a time , and weekends . I will be buying a Wall tent this summer
Well, I just saw into the future and found BBJ's posting of his camp....

Old 03-09-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
Well, I just saw into the future and found BBJ's posting of his camp....

Funny guy , its just missing one thing , Women and the Racks .
Old 03-09-2009, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
its just missing one thing , Women and the Racks .
Isn't that the same thing??
Old 03-09-2009, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
Isn't that the same thing??

Woman

Rack 1

Rack 2
Old 03-09-2009, 02:38 PM

Some awesome lookin camps here guys!!!
Old 03-09-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delburnedave View Post
OK, I'll take the bait.

You're kidding, right? Unless you weigh 400 pounds, 3 beers at lunch most likely leaves you legally impaired, then you grab your gun and head back out hunting, and you're not sure what the big deal is? I won't even get into the obvious safety issues, but you really should read the the hunting regulations.
Where in the regulations does it say absolutely no alcohol is to be consumed while hunting constable Dave. Give me a break on the impaired scenario. Lets just agree to disagree before a good thread gets wrecked!

There really is some great camps out there guys!
Old 03-09-2009, 03:40 PM
Gone Hunting

double post

Last edited by Redfrog; 03-09-2009 at 05:48 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:41 PM
Gone Hunting

I don't want to derail this thread. Of course Alcohol and firearms don't mix. That is a no brainer. I'm just fed up with guys jumping on someone in nearly every thread. Send the guy an email or go over to his house and sort him out.

There are some awesome pics here guys. I've camped pretty much every way pictured here at one time or other. We used a sheet of poly for shelter on goat hunts and om the other end of the spectrum, we've stayed in cabins. Oh wait, in Africa we were spoiled in the thatch roofed lodges.

We have also slept on a tarp in the horse trailer, under a trap in 2 feet of snow, and under a canopy of stars way above the tree line.

I can't remember a camp that i didn't think was deluxe at least from the standpoint of my great good fortune to be the person in it. So many people live their lives in the city and seldom leave the blacktop. I realize we are all different , but I can't get my feeble mind wrapped around the concept of spending my life without my outdoor adventures.

Hunting, fishing, hiking, and exploring are all part of the outdoor experience, but setting up a functioning camp is one of my favorite things.

Each one has had it's own special appeal.

I remember when I started hunting with a horse. The first year was pretty spartan, as we had no pack horses. The second year we had one packhorse and were able to pack a coleman lantern. It still goes with us today. Simple things make a huge difference.

Of all the ways we've camped I think I like the wall tents the best. There's just something about hanging around and swapping stories with a few close friends in a wall tent.
The weather can be cold outside but inside the heat and smell from the wood stove, perked coffee with a touch of mother's milk in it and the jokes around a rough table. It doesn't get better than that.

I have been on trips where out whole camp was carried on our backs, or on the horses backs, in a plane, or canoe, jet boat, 4X4 trucks, or quads.
In the words of "Papa Bear" everyone of them was "Just right"

Old 03-09-2009, 03:44 PM

Agreed Redfrog......a wall tent is hard to beat for really tellin stories and sitting around camp.....

Here is another one from bear hunting this past spring.....rained for 4 days straight....lol

Old 03-09-2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullpike View Post
Where in the regulations does it say absolutely no alcohol is to be consumed while hunting constable Dave. Give me a break on the impaired scenario. Lets just agree to disagree before a good thread gets wrecked!
Alcohol and drugs

30 A person shall not hunt wildlife while the person’s ability to hunt is impaired by alcohol or a drug.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:41 PM

I think I addressed the impaired part already. Let's drop this in this forum and take it up in this one. http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=29218
Keep them camp picks coming guys. There great!