Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2019, 11:44 AM

Default Philip Cahoon, Outfitter from Sherwood Park Convicted and Sentenced in Ponoka Courtroom

I attended the Ponoka Courthouse on October 11, 2019 to observe the joint submission by the Crown Prosecutor and the Defence in the Case of Philip Mitchell Cahoon and Mud Lake Waterfowl Adventures. This was the seventh trip I had made to observe this case.

There were 28 charges listed on the docket. When the case began to get heard there was some preamble from Cahoon's Lawyer, some of the charges were dropped including all the charges related to the company Mud Lake Waterfowl Adventures.

The Crown Prosecutor read the circumstances which were a page and a half long. I will highlight some of the ones I could get written down as she was rattling through them quite fast.

-multiple wastage charges. I will give only two examples from many read out including geese.

64 ducks shot and only 8 retrieved, the rest left floating in the water
58 ducks shot and 25 left floating in the water

-multiple hunting guiding non resident hunters without landowner permission and telling landowners he was not guiding but just hunting with some friends.

-multiple over limit

-shooting at game through an open window in his truck

-exporting furs to the USA with no CITES Permit

Honestly there was so much content to the circumstances read out I could only write down so much. I am in the process of getting a complete copy of this document. The above is just a snippet of what was read out.

The Judge indicated his disgust and the Public's disgust for this type of behavior.

The Judge asked if Cahoon had anything to say and his reply was a curt "no".

The sentence as jointly proposed by the Crown Prosecutor and Defence was a ten year ban from Guiding and Outfitting in the Province of Alberta, a two year ban on recreational hunting in the Province of Alberta, a $25,000.00 fine which Cahoon asked for a years time to pay and was granted.

There were also some firearms transportation restrictions regarding his personal firearms.

Most items seized were forfeited to the Crown with the exception of his cell phone which the Judge ordered the RCMP to return to him.

I toned this down quite a bit and hope this thread does not get locked down.

If anyone wishes to obtain documents relating to this case or any other the best phone number is 1-855-738-4747. They will either help you directly or steer you to someone that can. Waiting time can be long and they ask a few personal questions.

IN ADDITION TO THE ABOVE I WOULD LIKE TO POINT OUT THE INVESTIGATION FISH AND WILDLIFE EXECUTED ON THIS CASE WAS JUST A FEW MONTHS OF CAHOON'S ACTIVITY !!

jIM
Old 10-15-2019, 12:03 PM

Thanks for posting the specifics of the fines, suspensions and the like. Given the investigation only covered a very short period of time you can bet dollars to donuts there is a whole bunch more of this kind of nonsense that went on. There really needs to be far tighter control of the guides under APOS. If APOS won't do it, and they certainly aren't doing it now, then they need to be disbanded and the control put back into Fish and Game. I wonder if Jason Nixon would consider properly regulating guides given the recent spate of serious charges and convictions.
Old 10-15-2019, 12:09 PM

Thanks for that info Jim. Would you happen to know the docket number of this case? I would like to read the full transcript once it becomes available.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 10-15-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Thanks for posting the specifics of the fines, suspensions and the like. Given the investigation only covered a very short period of time you can bet dollars to donuts there is a whole bunch more of this kind of nonsense that went on. There really needs to be far tighter control of the guides under APOS. If APOS won't do it, and they certainly aren't doing it now, then they need to be disbanded and the control put back into Fish and Game. I wonder if Jason Nixon would consider properly regulating guides given the recent spate of serious charges and convictions.
I am initiating a face to face with Jason for hopefully next week. I would suggest like minded Outdoorsmen do the same or at least write a letter. This crap with APOS has gone on way too long IMHO.
Old 10-15-2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
Thanks for that info Jim. Would you happen to know the docket number of this case? I would like to read the full transcript once it becomes available.
No I don't but when you contact a person at the number I posted just give his name Philip Mitchell Cahoon and that he was convicted and sentenced in thePonoka Courthouse on October 11, 2019 and they should be able to help.
Old 10-15-2019, 12:12 PM

Thanks for posting this Jim and I agree with Dean. I can't believe that all charges were dropped against his outfitting company(that he has now sold)and that he was given a year to pay the 25K fine! I think all profits and gear from the sale of the outfitting business should have went back to cover the F&W investigation, court costs and put back into Alberta wildlife/habitat that he was more than likely destroying long before he was caught.....
Old 10-15-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7magtime View Post
Thanks for posting this Jim and I agree with Dean. I can't believe that all charges were dropped against his outfitting company(that he has now sold)and that he was given a year to pay the 25K fine! I think all profits and gear from the sale of the outfitting business should have went back to cover the F&W investigation, court costs and put back into Alberta wildlife/habitat that he was more than likely destroying long before he was caught.....
It appeared to me the mindset of Prosecutors is to avoid tying up massive amounts of Court time and expenses by negotiating out charges.

The costs to bring up witnesses from the USA and the cost of a trial with this many charges (this was brought in the submission) would pale in comparrison to the Pickton murder case (not kidding).

Unfortunate for sure but that's where this system is at which in my opinion isn't acceptable.

Jim
Old 10-15-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
This is what I was saying in the other thread. APOS needs accountability for its Guides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Blake View Post
I am initiating a face to face with Jason for hopefully next week. I would suggest like minded Outdoorsmen do the same or at least write a letter. This crap with APOS has gone on way too long IMHO.
Jim if you can post after your meeting with Jason Dixon, I'd be very interested in hearing what he had to say. Also if you have an address or email address I would definitely send him a letter expressing my concerns with the current APOS ****storm that's going on in this province.

BW
Old 10-15-2019, 12:24 PM

That is wild i think he got off way to easy.
Old 10-15-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
This is what I was saying in the other thread. APOS needs accountability for its Guides.

Jim if you can post after your meeting with Jason Dixon, I'd be very interested in hearing what he had to say. Also if you have an address or email address I would definitely send him a letter expressing my concerns with the current APOS ****storm that's going on in this province.

BW
Honourable Jason Nixon
323 Legislature Building
10800-97 Avenue NW
Edmonton, Alberta
T5K 2B6

780-427-2391

I have had the pleasure of meeting Jason a few times. He is a VERY approachable guy and will in my opinion turn out to be the best Environment and Parks Minister Alberta has ever had.

I will post the results of our meeting.

Jim
Old 10-15-2019, 12:29 PM

Thank you for letting us know the facts of the matter.
Old 10-15-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
Thank you for letting us know the facts of the matter.
No problem. These types of investigations burn up a lot of money and time. Hats off to the Special Investigation Branch of Fish and Wildlife and the District Officer for seeing this through.

Jim

Last edited by Jim Blake; 10-15-2019 at 12:40 PM.
Old 10-15-2019, 12:36 PM

I have no idea what kind of things went on during his hunts, but he posted on several US-based waterfowl hunting pages absolutely incessantly advertising his guide service. So, so obnoxious. Lots of videos of ****ty hunting too. Terrible calling, terrible hides, bad shooting... yikes. Guy always seemed like a complete tool. Not at all surprised by this.
Old 10-15-2019, 12:37 PM

Seems Nube (Phil) had many fooled on here... including myself.
Old 10-15-2019, 12:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
Dont you have to pay for court transcripts? I didnt think their readily available online.
Old 10-15-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Blake View Post
Honourable Jason Nixon
323 Legislature Building
10800-97 Avenue NW
Edmonton, Alberta
T5K 2B6

780-427-2391

I have had the pleasure of meeting Jason a few times. He is a VERY approachable guy and will in my opinion turn out to be the best Environment and Parks Minister Alberta has ever had.

I will post the results of our meeting.

Jim
Thanks Jim,
I'll be drafting a letter to Jason this week.

BW
Old 10-15-2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3illy View Post
Dont you have to pay for court transcripts? I didnt think their readily available online.
Alberta Justice used to have a link where you could read the transcripts. The link I have no longer works but I'm sure I can find a working on again with the docket number.

This is the old link if it helps anyone.
https://www.justice.alberta.ca/progr...T.svl=programs

Edit, the new link can be found here:
https://www.canlii.org/en/ab/abpc/

I expect it to be updated in a few days.

Old 10-15-2019, 01:31 PM
Banned

Only a 2 year ban on hunting? Stupid. Should be longer.
Old 10-15-2019, 01:35 PM

Was present at the courthouse 7 times. Lol Jimmy.
Old 10-15-2019, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTailAB View Post
This level of violation should have earned him a lifetime ban on hunting or guiding. People that will do what he has will never be rehabilitated, they just get better at covering their tracks.
Old 10-15-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
I agree, it should have been at least a 10 year ban from personal hunting and a lifetime ban from guiding. I would have liked to see some community service maintaining conversation sites as well.

Im not saying Phil will re-offend but it seems to me anyone in his position could easily become a re-offender in the future without the proper supervision.

Old 10-15-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
I agree.
Old 10-15-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
This level of violation should have earned him a lifetime ban on hunting or guiding. People that will do what he has will never be rehabilitated, they just get better at covering their tracks.

This exactly. No amount of money stops guys like this. He will carry on and keep doing it.
Old 10-15-2019, 02:39 PM

In the news

https://news.google.com/articles/CBM...A&ceid=CA%3Aen
Old 10-15-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSD Addict View Post
I have no idea what kind of things went on during his hunts, but he posted on several US-based waterfowl hunting pages absolutely incessantly advertising his guide service. So, so obnoxious. Lots of videos of ****ty hunting too. Terrible calling, terrible hides, bad shooting... yikes. Guy always seemed like a complete tool. Not at all surprised by this.
You basically described what is known as outfitted waterfowl hunting here in Alberta, Canada. It’s an insult to the important tradition that means so many other things to most of us. Good to see another criminal rounded up in the paddy wagon... I’d really like to see these outlaws begin to be treated with the lack of respect they deserve.
Old 10-15-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABDUKNUT View Post
You basically described what is known as outfitted waterfowl hunting here in Alberta, Canada. It’s an insult to the important tradition that means so many other things to most of us. Good to see another criminal rounded up in the paddy wagon... I’d really like to see these outlaws begin to be treated with the lack of respect they deserve.
This is why APOS needs to be dissolved and Fish and Wildlife needs to take over the outfitting business in the province.

How many Alberta outfitters in the past 8-10 years have been charged with wildlife offenses? This clown is the current APOS outfitter to be convicted, but he won't be the last.

Not all outfitters are poachers, but I am sure that most of them will bend the rules, or do what they have to, to meet their clients expectations, and if it means breaking a rule here or there to do so, they do it without batting an eye.

Alberta Outdoorsmen those of us who hunt and fish, should band together and put a class action lawsuit against APOS for allowing this to happen. For not policing their members, for not disavowing these crimes against our wildlife and fish. With APOS keeping quiet on this and past outfitter convictions screams they are condoning what goes on.

BW

Last edited by Bigwoodsman; 10-15-2019 at 03:47 PM.
Old 10-15-2019, 03:41 PM

The punishments should be more severe than a slap on the wrist or just "the cost of doing business".

Sick of seeing the same names over and over. I'd bet my next paycheck this won't be the last we hear of him.
Old 10-15-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post
The punishments should be more severe than a slap on the wrist or just "the cost of doing business".

Sick of seeing the same names over and over. I'd bet my next paycheck this won't be the last we hear of him.
It won't be the last we hear of this from him or others. If it's not in Alberta it will be in another region of Canada or even the world.

Maybe they should take the outfitters home, his vehicles etc. But our courts also need to take a harsher stand on all criminal activities in this country.

My understanding is the APOS is supposed to be the body in our province that prevents this. It seems more and more they condone it and may even encourage it.

BW
Old 10-15-2019, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post

Really the fine is about equal to 8 or so non resident migratory hunts. Not much compared to how much was made even in one season.
Old 10-15-2019, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Agreed. Based on the OP synopsis I reckon life time ban was warranted
Closed Thread