Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-22-2011, 10:25 PM

Default freshwater lic in prince rupert?

Were fishing prince rupert this week and i was told that i would need a freshwater lic if we want to fish off shore in prince rupert. We will be fishing the main ocean all day, but would like to do some shore fishing on our down time maybe off a pier or something. Any decent spots to fish off shore in prince rupert? and is night fising allowed. regs are kinda vague.
Thanks
Old 07-22-2011, 11:26 PM

First of all you'll need your
-non resident license
-then your sal****er license ,
-then your non tidal salmon if you want to try a river or something for salmon,
-then your classified waters license if the river you decide to fish is on the classified waters list,
-then you must determine if its a class one or class two waterway and buy the proper permit for that.

not a cheap endeavor... i just got back from the skeena and it was roughly 150 to fish for 3 days and that was only fishing class 2 waters and without the salt water permit.

I hope this helps
Old 07-23-2011, 11:33 AM

Exactly who told you this?

You only need a Sal****er (Tidal) fishing license (which is a Federal licence and the same price for all Canadian citizens). You only need a Non-tidal fishing license if you are going to be fishing along a river, stream or lake. The Skeena will have a specific location along the river where is changes from being Tidal to Non-tidal.

Fishing from shore (on the ocean) does not require a provincial license. Ask at a different store, or better yet, call Department of Fisheries and Oceans.
Old 07-23-2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
Exactly who told you this?

You only need a Sal****er (Tidal) fishing license (which is a Federal licence and the same price for all Canadian citizens). You only need a Non-tidal fishing license if you are going to be fishing along a river, stream or lake. The Skeena will have a specific location along the river where is changes from being Tidal to Non-tidal.

Fishing from shore (on the ocean) does not require a provincial license. Ask at a different store, or better yet, call Department of Fisheries and Oceans.
x2

A federal salt water licence is cheap. You don't need to buy a fresh water license in BC if you are not fishing fresh. If you are fishing the mouth of a stream and are unsure whether you are going to be in fresh or salt...buy both so you are not restricted. The regs should state based upon high tide what is fresh or salt.
Old 07-23-2011, 01:16 PM

Thanks guys. i was told by a friend that he thought i might need a freshwater lic if i wanted to shore fish. maybe he though i ment up the river, but just want to go off shore right in prince rupert if theres any nice piers or where ever. just want to try some night fishing in the ocean. I will ask around when we get there on sunday to make shure. I cant wait to catch some salmon, and hopefully some nice hali's.
Old 07-23-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinggeek View Post
Thanks guys. i was told by a friend that he thought i might need a freshwater lic if i wanted to shore fish. maybe he though i ment up the river, but just want to go off shore right in prince rupert if theres any nice piers or where ever. just want to try some night fishing in the ocean. I will ask around when we get there on sunday to make shure. I cant wait to catch some salmon, and hopefully some nice hali's.
Funny enough, we never did that when I lived there. FWIW at Rupert "night" is somewhat relative at this time of year. More like "extended sunset".

Salmon can often be caught off piers and jettys, or even rock out-crops. Read the sal****er regs carefully; not sure about up north, but the south has a large number of closed areas and rock-fish refugia (basically ecological reserves) that you are not allowed to fish in. Also, in-shore areas are also often closed to protect runs of Coho (not sure what the status is of the norther coho runs these days).

Should be able to download the regs for both tidal/non-tidal online. Good reading before you go.

Take lots of pics and let us know how you do.
Old 07-23-2011, 01:43 PM

To add,

The chinook are running in the Skeena right now. From what I have heard the fishing is excellent this year. You may want to spend a couple days getting sodomized by the provincial government to fish the rivers. It may be worth it.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:54 AM

I am sure you will have a great time i have a few relatives there right now and heard that it is one after another.I am not sure of the rules but at the marina the is alot of pier to fish from, and i would think where all the guides clean there catch off the dock would be a good spot to fish, and catch crab.Good luck