Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-22-2011, 02:55 PM

Default Anyone going to be in Jasper....

Just wondering if there are any fishermen or fisherwomen for that matter going to be in Jasper Aug14-18? I'm thinking of doing a guided trip on maligne and two people are cheaper than one......PM me if interested.
Old 07-23-2011, 01:22 AM

Smile

I was up there last weekend. The water is higher than normal. But it is everywhere. Having said that the weather was nice. Just went to Maligne with my wife to go for the boat ride to Spirit Island. Didn't get to fish as we were on the last leg of a holiday. Saw a few of the guides trolling along while they were ripping down the lake in their freighter canoes and electric motors. The one guide I saw must have had 500lbs of gear on the boat and he must have weighed in at almost 400 himself. I barely saw the client in the middle of the boat. I wonder what the weight rating of those freighter canoes is?

Any way if I hadn't have just been there I would be back in a heartbeat. This is a good opportunity for someone. I am sure someone will see the value in sharing a charter.

I did see some nice fish jumping in the bay just past Spirit Island. They looked like they had some size to them.

There are rainbows and brookies in the lake. The rainbows seem to be in the first half of the lake and the brookies seem to be in the last half of the lake.

As for flies I am sure your guide will have a variety of minnow patterns. Streamers work well there.

Have a great trip.
Rob
Old 07-23-2011, 11:18 AM

This time of the year the rainbows are in home bay because they are spawning in the maligne river, so u have a higher concentration of them as the year progresses the rainbows start to move back down the lake, the brookies population is starting to take over so u r catching brookies in all parts of the lake not like it use to be the southern part