Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-12-2015, 08:37 PM

Question Question for the roofers here

My insurance company is going to pay to have my house reshingled (yeah! ) but they want to do it in the next few weeks, just before winter.

I don't know much about roofing, but I always thought this was a bad time to reshingle, because its not hot enough now for the shingles to stick together. If a bad wind storm comes up during winter, the new shingles could be badly damaged or blown completely off.

Am I right???
Old 10-12-2015, 08:54 PM

I'm not roofer but I have good things to report about a roofing underlayment I bought (from Lowes IIRC), its called Novaseal Premium and it has a textured surface so you can safely walk on it before the shingles are down. Its woven like a tarp but tighter. I haven't performed my roof framing revision that I bought it for, but I had occasion to build a small 'pool' for soaking some bent lumber to try to salvage it, I stapled the stuff over a 2" x 6" frame and it held a pool of water for over 6 weeks, so I think it will do more than sufficiently in a situation where its able to shed water.

http://www.itape.com/en/products/roof-underlayment
Old 10-12-2015, 09:25 PM

Default It is too late

Not warm enough , to windy , cold weather application is necessary

Hand tab every shingle . The only people who think shingling after

Oct 1 is ok are roofers , and shingle salesmen .

Most insurance company's give you two years to get it done

Try not to use the insurance co. recommended installers

Now that I am retired from roofing sales and consulting I can

Tell the truth , Any roofs that were installed in Southern Alberta

In the last 2-3 weeks likely came off yesterday .
Old 10-13-2015, 10:57 AM

Thanks for that Winch, it's just what I figured!

But why not use the insurance companys installers?
Old 10-13-2015, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winch101 View Post
Not warm enough , to windy , cold weather application is necessary

Hand tab every shingle . The only people who think shingling after

Oct 1 is ok are roofers , and shingle salesmen .

Most insurance company's give you two years to get it done

Try not to use the insurance co. recommended installers

Now that I am retired from roofing sales and consulting I can

Tell the truth , Any roofs that were installed in Southern Alberta

In the last 2-3 weeks likely came off yesterday .
LOL. Going to check my roof now. They were installed a couple weeks ago. Before the 1 Oct deadline.
Old 10-14-2015, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Wolf View Post
Thanks for that Winch, it's just what I figured!

But why not use the insurance companys installers?
Bump
Old 10-14-2015, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Bump
Just a guess, but I would say they will do it the cheapest for the insurance company's and cut corners and use inferior products. Probably why the ins company uses them in the first place. I too am curious for winches answer....
Old 10-14-2015, 05:52 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Really confused here because buildings go up all year round, got a few city dwellers that their homes were built in the winter, complete and their shingles are still attached...eight years later.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-14-2015, 06:18 AM
Gone Hunting

Default roofing

I just roofed my house last week and we had 99 mile an hour winds. Put 6 nails is where it is windy, turn shiegles upside down let what little sun there is soften the tar tab every shingle if you have to and walk on all your caps and two bottom rows you will be ok.There are a lot of roofers that think they are. sop using three tab shingles get 30 year Cambridge no slots fiberglass. 2 dollars more a bundle and they go on faster 5 years more life.You can always use ceder shingles or tin. Alvin
Old 10-14-2015, 06:32 AM

Default Sorry I had to go hunting

Tuesday is hunting day and Wednesday is doctor day ,I'm officially old .

Ok ...shingle warranties may be the greatest piece of fiction ever Written .

Every warranty mentions cold weather application so to insure the shingles

Tab they have to have 3 dots of sealant ( roof Tar ) put on in a specific way .

In 15 or so years I have never seen that done .

The sealant on the shingle takes more heat to seal than it use to

EPA reasons .

Shingles are lighter today not as rigid as they were . If the sun doesn't

Tab them ,and the wind blows.then enough dust gets under them and they never tab .

So after 8 years ,they give up in a strong wind . Tractor 1 on another

Thread has Iko shingles ......30 yr. . 8 yrs their done.

Roof slope plays into this ,steeper better for wind shear resistance .

I just did my roof ,hail damage on a 15 yr. Iko fibreglass Architectural

Shingle ......in August tabbed in one day . It's a 5/12 pitch ,custom

Home. . Builders roofers forgot to put paper under the shingles . Was

Only leaking in 4. Places . Minor leaks .lol .

There are no more paper based or organic mat ( recycled cardboard )

All pretty well have a fibreglass mat in them . You have to put

Underlay under them because the mat is so thin ,it's not impervious .

The manufacturers will tell you ,it's for better fire proofing . Sure !

So if you shingle between Oct 1 and May 1 and they stay down

You got a break . I worked for companies that shingled all year

At 5 C or colder half the pebling came off during installation .

The difference between a bad and good roof , bad roof leaks.

People would phone me and they don't want a new roof ,they just

Want an opinion on the condition , I would tell them ,I don't have

To come there I can give you an opinion over the phone ......

You need a new roof .

If you want to send me pictures of your roof ....I will give you

An opinion gratis . If you lost shingles ,I would use Freeze Maxwell

To do the repair . Then come spring have the reroof done .

Last edited by Winch101; 10-14-2015 at 06:52 AM.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:51 AM

Not a fan of applying shingles in the cold either. After the hail storm here in Airdrie my insurance company wanted to have the shingles done in November. I told them I wasn't comfortable with that, and explained why. They also suggested that they apply shingles all year round. But I insisted that we would not be shingling my house so late into the year. Ended up doing them in late May.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:06 PM

You'd be surprised how warm a roof can get even when its cold out. i wouldn't shingle in below freezing temps, but as long as its in the 10-15C range i wouldn't have a problem doing it. Too hot, shingles rip, to cold and the shatter!
Old 10-14-2015, 09:43 PM

if you have your own company or a friend that does; contract it from the insurance company. you get a full payout plus. then hire a good roofer at a normal rate and pocket the other 6000 bucks
Old 10-14-2015, 10:05 PM

If you use iko or bp shingles doesn't matter if you put them on in the summer. They are garbage shingles and hardly stick. Have done countless repairs on these types of shingles only because they don't stick properly and blow off in moderate winds. I used to work for my dad's roofing company (primo roofing) and he uses nothing but GAF and wont touch anything else. GAF offers lifetime warranty on their shingles if put on by a certified GAF installer which they only certify certain companies to be installers for them because of quality control. And the cold thing is hocus, it's about the quality of the shingle. We roof all year round and the only complaints we get if any are contractors leaving the job site without doing a proper cleanup around the yard.
Old 10-17-2015, 10:21 PM

Smile Update -

Using some of the information provided on this thread, I contacted the insurance adjuster and explained why I didn't want them to reshingle my roof this fall. One day later (yesterday afternoon) they got back to me and agreed to put off the reshingling until next spring. Yee Haw!

Thanks for all your help guys!
Old 07-04-2016, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Using some of the information provided on this thread, I contacted the insurance adjuster and explained why I didn't want them to reshingle my roof this fall. One day later (yesterday afternoon) they got back to me and agreed to put off the reshingling until next spring. Yee Haw!

Thanks for all your help guys!
Sorry to rehash an older post, but figured with some of the weather around southern Alberta lately, may be a good read

I'm in Okotoks and got hit hard last week with the hail. Going be calling the insurance company, anyone reroof lately and have good things to say about a roofing contractor around these parts?
Old 07-05-2016, 07:23 AM

Psssst!

Get a metal roof and be done with it.
Old 07-05-2016, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalhunter View Post
Psssst!

Get a metal roof and be done with it.
What's a metal roof cost relative to shingles? is it same, 2x, 3x?? the price.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
HI, Justsome guy the thread is already outdated, If you are trying to compare Shingles V/s Metal roofing: It again depends on different factors. Shingle roofing(residential)are of different types.

I prefer Roofshake 40, We re-roofed last year and is having a 40 year warranty on it.
Old 07-29-2016, 12:00 AM

If you are not on budget try Marquis® WeatherMax® 3-Tab Shingles . The long lasting and trendy design. This one is real crowd puller
Old 07-29-2016, 12:46 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
Tin is a bit more expensive in the beginning but is easier to install, lasts a lot longer and requires far less maintenance.

I'm looking at replacing my shingles with tin some time this year. I will do the job myself with help from my brothers. It's not hard to do.

My first job, while I was still in High School, was installing roofing for a roofing contractor in Wetaskiwin.
Some of you might remember Anderson Roofing. I worked for Lawrence and am friends with his son and daughter to this day.
He taught me a lot about roofing and over the years I've worked on many roofs, new and replacement.

BTW, there are reasons for shingling in the fall.
Working on a hot roof can be brutal. On a hot summer day even walking on shingles can damage them.

Self tab shingle take a few days of sunshine to stick down. Although they stick faster in spring and summer they can stick in late fall weather if they get a couple of warm sunshine days. Plus, cold shingles are far less susceptible to wind damage then hot shingles.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 07-29-2016, 12:49 AM

Building a house right now, True-Line in Red Deer is the builder. Roof was finished about 3 weeks ago. Hope this was an ideal time to have it done. Consensus is this post seems to be ideal timing. Sorry to derail.
Old 07-29-2016, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
Tin is a bit more expensive in the beginning but is easier to install, lasts a lot longer and requires far less maintenance.

I'm looking at replacing my shingles with tin some time this year. I will do the job myself with help from my brothers. It's not hard to do.

My first job, while I was still in High School, was installing roofing for a roofing contractor in Wetaskiwin.
Some of you might remember Anderson Roofing. I worked for Lawrence and am friends with his son and daughter to this day.
He taught me a lot about roofing and over the years I've worked on many roofs, new and replacement.

BTW, there are reasons for shingling in the fall.
Working on a hot roof can be brutal. On a hot summer day even walking on shingles can damage them.

Self tab shingle take a few days of sunshine to stick down. Although they stick faster in spring and summer they can stick in late fall weather if they get a couple of warm sunshine days. Plus, cold shingles are far less susceptible to wind damage then hot shingles.

Not sure on your skill level but a metal roof install with correct ridge cap, valley flashings etc is not a do it yourself type of job for most people. Metal roof installed is about 2.5 times cost as an installed shingle roof.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:23 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond k View Post
Not sure on your skill level but a metal roof install with correct ridge cap, valley flashings etc is not a do it yourself type of job for most people. Metal roof installed is about 2.5 times cost as an installed shingle roof.
2.5 times! That sounds a bit high. But even at that, initial cost is only half the story.

Most roofing contractors will tell you that no asphalt shingle will last more then twenty years, some even say 10 years, no matter what the warranty says.

A properly installed metal roof should last a minimum of fifty years.

About my skill level, I think a contractor would consider my skill as intermediate.
I've worked on maybe four hundred shingled roofs. in addition, to the best of my recollection I've worked on half a dozen low slope shingled roof, two interlocking shingle jobs and a couple of dozen metal roofs.
About fifty percent were new installs, the rest were replacement jobs.

Not tons of experience but more then enough to deal with my own roof.

I would agree with you, roofing is not for beginners, but a simple roof is well within the capabilities of most people so long as they have someone experienced to guide them.

Did you know that there is no official training required or offered for roofing contractors and workers.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 07-29-2016, 01:25 PM

A good friend of mine owns a roofing company.
He replaces metal roofs with quality shingles all the time. The problem is that you drill 5000 holes threw your roof. Metal expands and retracts in the cold and heat and stretches the holes eventually letting in water and starting to rot. the metal its self doesn't wear out but all the holes get bigger and bigger.
There are a few different metals that are ok,the very expensive kind that you don't see and of the screws and they have a expansion hole for each screw. 5 times the cost of a quality shingle roof.
Iko shingles they wont even install them.
Most Iko shingles are made from recycled news paper.
Also Alberta is one of the only places that you don't need a licence to be a roofer. He is from the west coast and you have to pass tests and it is like a apprenticeship to be a roofer.
Old 07-29-2016, 04:39 PM

Quote:
2.5 times! That sounds a bit high. But even at that, initial cost is only half the story.

Most roofing contractors will tell you that no asphalt shingle will last more then twenty years, some even say 10 years, no matter what the warranty says.

A properly installed metal roof should last a minimum of fifty years.

About my skill level, I think a contractor would consider my skill as intermediate.
I've worked on maybe four hundred shingled roofs. in addition, to the best of my recollection I've worked on half a dozen low slope shingled roof, two interlocking shingle jobs and a couple of dozen metal roofs.
About fifty percent were new installs, the rest were replacement jobs.

Not tons of experience but more then enough to deal with my own roof.

I would agree with you, roofing is not for beginners, but a simple roof is well within the capabilities of most people so long as they have someone experienced to guide them.

Did you know that there is no official training required or offered for roofing contractors and workers.
https://tradesecrets.alberta.ca/trad.../profiles/028/

Thomas Sowell
Old 07-29-2016, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeelmer View Post
A good friend of mine owns a roofing company.
He replaces metal roofs with quality shingles all the time. The problem is that you drill 5000 holes threw your roof. Metal expands and retracts in the cold and heat and stretches the holes eventually letting in water and starting to rot. the metal its self doesn't wear out but all the holes get bigger and bigger.
There are a few different metals that are ok,the very expensive kind that you don't see and of the screws and they have a expansion hole for each screw. 5 times the cost of a quality shingle roof.
Iko shingles they wont even install them.
Most Iko shingles are made from recycled news paper.
Also Alberta is one of the only places that you don't need a licence to be a roofer. He is from the west coast and you have to pass tests and it is like a apprenticeship to be a roofer.
This is true ^^^^
Dodger
Old 07-29-2016, 08:15 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post

As I said, I was in the business back in my high school days. That was over forty five years ago. I have had no need to keep current since I do not do roofs for the public.

Still, I wonder just how much enforcement there is. The last I had anything to do with a roofing contractor, that was about five years ago, he and his staff had no formal training in roofing according to him. He was however, trained as a carpenter, and roofing is part of the training as I understand it.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 07-29-2016, 08:24 PM

Quote:
As I said, I was in the business back in my high school days. That was over forty five years ago. I have had no need to keep current since I do not do roofs for the public.

Still, I wonder just how much enforcement there is. The last I had anything to do with a roofing contractor, that was about five years ago, he and his staff had no formal training in roofing according to him. He was however, trained as a carpenter, and roofing is part of the training as I understand it.
Yes carpentry does cover roof's, but it is a cursory look at roofing, most of the study is aimed at residential.

Still anyone that wants a business can call themselves a roofer and away they go. I would not hire one of these companies started by laid off oil field guys. I want a company that's been around a while or a papered roofer. But the education is there and available. I would hope people would start insisting on papered guys, but as with most things people do, they go with the cheapest.

A roof is not the place to cut corners with.

Thomas Sowell
Old 07-30-2016, 04:51 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Yes carpentry does cover roof's, but it is a cursory look at roofing, most of the study is aimed at residential.

Still anyone that wants a business can call themselves a roofer and away they go. I would not hire one of these companies started by laid off oil field guys. I want a company that's been around a while or a papered roofer. But the education is there and available. I would hope people would start insisting on papered guys, but as with most things people do, they go with the cheapest.

A roof is not the place to cut corners with.
Agreed!

Which is why I prefer metal roofing.

Years ago metal roofs did have a problem with pulled out nails, Yeah nails were the preferred fastener way back when. Special nails, with lead washers, but nails non-the-less.

Properly installed modern metal roofing does not have this issue in my experience.
I helped build two machine sheds with metal roofing and metal siding back in the early 1990s. That's nearly 25 years ago.
Those buildings have not had any issues with leakage or with anything coming loose.

I helped do a residential home, my uncles home to be exact, a few years prior to that. It has also had no issues with it's metal roof.

Graineries in the same yard, done many years before I worked on roofs in the area, have metal roofs more then thirty years old that have as yet shown no problems.

I have yet to see a twenty year old Asphalt shingle roof that has not developed issues, curling, shrinkage, lose of grit, and leakage.

George Bernard Shaw