Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-17-2010, 08:22 AM

That is an incredible waste of a fantastic tasting fish. There should be a review of the status of this "non-gamefish" so it is not wasted in this way. Times have changed in the way people see and use this species and the laws have not. I see a post has given us the legal terms to use when forwarding our thoughts to fisheries about the amendment to the gamefish definition. If we all send an e-mail (with the photos) it may stir things up. One of the great benefits of having us all on this forum! Working together, aww I think I'm tearing up...

Last edited by bowness; 04-17-2010 at 08:41 AM. Reason: read another post
Old 04-17-2010, 08:34 AM

Great work!
Old 05-04-2010, 09:57 AM

Default Government responses?

I was just wondering if anybody else heard back from the letters they sent. My email to MLA Peal Callahasen (MD Lesser Slave River) was acknowledged by her office the next day, and Pearl had tried to contact me by phone, but she had my work number and left a message on my days off. I haven't tried to contact her again, and she hasn't tried to contact me, but I'm happy with her initial effort.

I also received a letter from Mel Knight and SRD dated April 22, 2010. The funny thing about it is that he didn't respond to the one I sent to his office, he responded my letter sent to, and forwarded from the Premiers Office.

I would type the whole thing out, but I'm just too lazy. The jist of it is that not much is known about the species, and they are working to learn more. "In addition to a recent spawning survey and the upcoming summer assessment of burbot in Lac La Nonne, the department is planning a process to determine the conservation status of the species in the province. Once this information is available, we will be able to re-evaluate the regulations and make any changes that might be required, such as reducing daily harvest limits, managing wastage, and mitigating the commercial harvest durig the spawning season"

And this at the end "Regulation changes are made on a two-year cycle, so staff are considering what might be done in the meantime to address the wastage that you have observed. We share your concerns in this matter and do not condone this practice.

My thanks goes out to the original poster that supplied the pics of those burbot on the ice. I hope these official responses mean that action is indeed being taken, and not just smoke and mirrors.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:39 AM

Yes I received a similar response as well. Phone call from Fish and wildlife officer to let me know he would pass it along to the powers that be.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:28 AM

Wow fished Slave lake my whole life never knew there was that much burbot lol but slave lake needs to stop being fished soo hard and this whole native and netting thing needs to end i fished that lake since i was a little guy and back in the day you would catch 6 pound fish or more every few casts now its hard to even find a keeper. This treety stuff has to come to a end and this includes hunting in my books too. Just my thoughts.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:19 AM

I bought a book discussing ways to change or abolish the Indian act. It is an archaic act that hurts us all (all Canadians, including those who consider themselves first nations, then Canadian). Any laws that are based on giving or not giving rights to a particular cultural group or race is, as far as I'm concerned, unconstitutional and ethically wrong. Hence my desire to abolish the 150 year old Indian act. Our entire Canadian/First nations societies will benefit. We need to support the Conservative party as I believe they may be able to move forward somewhat in this area if they have a majority. It is a HOT POTATOE and politicians avoid it like the plague!
Old 05-05-2010, 05:03 PM

Well said!!!!! It has to come to and end.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:53 AM

Default Alternative measures.

In the letter the said they were looking at a way to deal with the wastage issue until the research is complete and changes can be made to the regulations. I'm thinking something like Sundancefisher does in Calgary. A special permit to take home more than the limit. Signed off by a commercial fisherman to show that the fish would have been wasted otherwise. And rules stating that the fish cannot be sold as salvage, the commercial fisherman are obliged to release them to those that want them.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:18 AM

This letter was a generic letter sent tro anyone who had contacted SRD or their MLA about the fish wastage. I received this verbatum last week.

Road hunting is not hunting.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mussel View Post
I am a commercial fisher, those were not my nets. At present there is no market for burbot as we are forced to sell our commercial catch to the Freshwater Fish Marketing Corporation and they refuse to buy burbot. We do whatever we can to give these fish away to whoever would like to take them, unfortunately we are not always able to find people who want them.
You may wish to take a page from the Lake Sundance book. Post on this site when and where you will be pulling nets and that everyone is welcome to come and take their legal limit of burbot home with them. You may be pleasantly surprised and at least mitigate some of the waste. People taking already dead burbot versus catching more will help conserve the stock.

IMHO
Old 05-06-2010, 05:54 PM
CDN

Default I hope to see someone do that.

That is disgusting. Burbot are a vital part of lakes and rivers. What do you think cleans up what the other fish won't eat. I find them to be a better tasting fish than pike and even walleye if they are cooked properly. If I ever see someone doing that to fish I would probably end up kicking the **** out of them. You guys ever see someone doing this, warn them there are people that will **** them up. My fish club could probably drop a moose.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN View Post
That is disgusting. Burbot are a vital part of lakes and rivers. What do you think cleans up what the other fish won't eat. I find them to be a better tasting fish than pike and even walleye if they are cooked properly. If I ever see someone doing that to fish I would probably end up kicking the **** out of them. You guys ever see someone doing this, warn them there are people that will **** them up. My fish club could probably drop a moose.

I am guessing you only looked at pictures and never read the actual thread
Old 05-06-2010, 06:18 PM
CDN

No, I read the thread. Don't care if it's legal or not. Disposing fish like that will spread disease. Think about that when that lake starts to die off or people start to eat diseased fish.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:20 AM

thats a burbot masscre
Old 02-02-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulrich View Post
Commercial fishers, like trappers, like seal hunters, like loggers, like farmers like miners, ETC have the right to earn a living. The trick is to do sustainably, and that is no mean feat.

To a certain degree I think we are getting a handle on managing a commercial fish speicies but bi-catch is the industries dirty little secret I can just imagine the tonnes on the big commercial ships. As with all useage of a natural resource there is always a better way, pressure should be applied to find a better way, but a straight up ban is not all that useful.

Here is a thought how many daily limits would it take to equal the total catch and how many C&R'ed fish where a small percentage of which die of hooking mortality to exceed the "wasted" bi-catch. Everybody has thier own dirty little secret be carful when your thowing stones.
100% right ,the best for everyone is to create a market for them and the fishermen will gladly hual them in.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:51 AM

Doesn't this brings back images of the buffalo slaughter of years past? what a waste.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshotz View Post
I'm glad there was someone from the other side explaining the situation. Now that I have more information, I'm less angry towards the commercial fishermen and more to the red tape and legislation. Thanks for posting on here Mussel.

If you guys were netting closer to Calgary, I'm sure there would be lots of people willing to help clean up the burbot. If I could, I would definitely take all of them, clean them and donate the meat to the meals on wheels or similar organization. That and I'd love to learn how the netting operation works.
x2
Old 02-02-2011, 04:48 PM

hm... just looked better at second picture, I can swear there is not only burbot in there - suckers? any other guesses?
Old 02-02-2011, 06:35 PM

im disgusted..I really am this is terrible..JUST BECAUSE THIS IS LEGAL DOESNT MAKE IT ETHICAL OR MORALLY RIGHT!!!!!!!!! where did the respect go?
Old 02-02-2011, 06:41 PM

PLUS in the 2nd picture on the left towards the bottom it looks like a Walleye..cant tell for sure because the tail is covered...i almost guarantee that is a walleye..take a look you will see a ling upside down and then pan over 3 fish to the right....
Old 02-02-2011, 06:56 PM

I know the pictures were taken a long time ago but those fish would have looked much better in my smoker.
what a waste
Rob
Old 02-02-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
hm... just looked better at second picture, I can swear there is not only burbot in there - suckers? any other guesses?
From the original poster:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCats View Post
There was a few Redhorse Suckers mixed in but mostly Burbot.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PERCHY View Post
PLUS in the 2nd picture on the left towards the bottom it looks like a Walleye..cant tell for sure because the tail is covered...i almost guarantee that is a walleye..take a look you will see a ling upside down and then pan over 3 fish to the right....
That's definitely a Burbot. Its pale color is throwing you off.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:57 PM
Banned

That's unbelievably disgraceful. Burbot are one of the best eating fish going. Another shining example of the competency of the F&W mismanagement in this province. Way to go Alberta! What a crying shame!
Old 02-02-2011, 10:16 PM

Hey, it's Lesser Slave, they have managed it so hard for walleye there everything else is starving anyway. I got a ticket there for a 2 mm over walleye a few years ago when the limit was 1 over 3 under or whatever. It's serious business. Even the pike are starving there, I haven't caught a perch in Lesser Slave in close to 20 years. Walleye, walleye, walleye, and you can keep 1 fish?

I wrote a letter to the Mel Knight about it this summer, he told me he "heard" the perch fishing was great in Lesser Slave.

Anyway reminds me of Utikima over the years guys weeding through 10-20 burbot to catch a couple walleye and leaving everything on the ice.

And I hear so many guys saying how good they are to eat, why do so many ice anglers leave them on the lake?

Last edited by deerhuntercentral; 02-02-2011 at 10:24 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:18 PM
Gone Hunting

It seems to me that Commercial Fishermen are wasting a great opportunity here.

With a little creative marketing those fish could be more valuable then the rest of the catch. Call them Freshwater Cod, sell frozen fillets at the local farmers market or maybe a private grocer and watch waste turn to profit.

Even if one sold them for half the price of the more popular species, I'm sure one could sell all they catch. You might not get rich, but I'd bet you could make enough to make it worth doing.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
It seems to me that Commercial Fishermen are wasting a great opportunity here.

With a little creative marketing those fish could be more valuable then the rest of the catch. Call them Freshwater Cod, sell frozen fillets at the local farmers market or maybe a private grocer and watch waste turn to profit.

Even if one sold them for half the price of the more popular species, I'm sure one could sell all they catch. You might not get rich, but I'd bet you could make enough to make it worth doing.
The Asians would take all these fish. Should load them up and go to Chinatown in Edmonton, they can make soup and fish patties or whatever, dim sum.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:56 AM

They shouldn't have to do anything with them at all, because this shouldn't be happening in the first place. I'm completely unsympathetic in the least for commercial fisherman, and I just plain don't care why this is happening. Fact is, it shouldn't be happening in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowness View Post
I bought a book discussing ways to change or abolish the Indian act. It is an archaic act that hurts us all (all Canadians, including those who consider themselves first nations, then Canadian). Any laws that are based on giving or not giving rights to a particular cultural group or race is, as far as I'm concerned, unconstitutional and ethically wrong. Hence my desire to abolish the 150 year old Indian act. Our entire Canadian/First nations societies will benefit. We need to support the Conservative party as I believe they may be able to move forward somewhat in this area if they have a majority. It is a HOT POTATOE and politicians avoid it like the plague!
What are you talking about ??? this has nothing to do with aboriginal people.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:00 PM

I remember growing up in High Prairie and cruising the lake looking for the "throw aways" (burbot) These guys apparently don't know what they're missing. Burbot are known to feed on the eggs of other sport fish species so are often looked as a nuisense. It's a real shame and although not considered a sport fish measures should be taken to prevent this from happening. It's still a waste of our natural resources.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:30 PM

What side of the lake is assineau on??