Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-12-2011, 01:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
Bass stockings have failed to succeed in Alberta, and yet there are calls to stock the fish.

Why don't you fish experts take a course in Limnology, and then we can argue.
If you say that Bass stocking failed in Alberta then you must believe that Bow stocking in alberta also failed
Old 09-12-2011, 02:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
It is a good thing that not all people in the world do not have your mind set.
If we always had to know the consequences of an action before we tried something we would be still living in the dark ages. No one will ever know what the total outcome of a situation will be but that does not mean we just stop. All we can do is keep the risks to a minimum.
Horsetrade, you and I obviously have a different value set when it comes to conservation.

Science backs me, opinion backs you.

Let's leave it at that, because I am sure you are as set in your point of view as I am in mine.

I'm just glad that the decision makers listen to conservation science first.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Horsetrade, you and I obviously have a different value set when it comes to conservation.

Science backs me, opinion backs you.

Let's leave it at that, because I am sure you are as set in your point of view as I am in mine.

I'm just glad that the decision makers listen to conservation science first.
You say science backs you but you have failed to produce any facts of it.
And when you consider the number of species that have been introduced and some of the problems occurred I would thing the decision makers listened to people like me and for our sake it's a good thing. But you are entitled to your OPINION.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:26 PM

i agree 100% when it comes to bass stocking in alberta.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
You say science backs you but you have failed to produce any facts of it.
And when you consider the number of species that have been introduced and some of the problems occurred I would thing the decision makers listened to people like me and for our sake it's a good thing. But you are entitled to your OPINION.
Horstrader, I have been at the table when the decisions are made for more years than I can count... I can guarantee you that science is the first consideration.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:
horstrader, i have been at the table when the decisions are made for more years than i can count... I can guarantee you that science is the first consideration.
bam!!!!!
Old 09-12-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
x10

orv.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
Agree with who? Whoever gets their way?
Old 09-12-2011, 04:47 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
If you say that Bass stocking failed in Alberta then you must believe that Bow stocking in alberta also failed
Old 09-12-2011, 04:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
The only reason i say that. Is Bass never survived as a self supported species.

and because of the fact they have to restock Bow every year it to was not a self supported species
Old 09-12-2011, 05:11 PM

Honestly, Bass stocking would end up being mediocre at best...

Stocking Bow's has ended up being mediocre at best, and I think that we should take the millions spent in stocking ANY fish and put it into revamping Alberta's healthcare / education system... something we can actually gain from? Worse comes to worse just take the money and use it to revamp some of our successful walleye&pike lakes that are now failing so that they can have a better chance at spawning.. add some rip rap on shores, some rocks and such to the bottom of the lakes to allow for a better spawn.. etc etc

my 2 cents.
Oliver

" There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O'Neil, 1965 "
Old 09-12-2011, 05:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Horstrader, I have been at the table when the decisions are made for more years than I can count... I can guarantee you that science is the first consideration.
I'm sure if you were at the table as you say you would be able to produce some information other than something on the internet from Montana which was suppose to prove the hybridize, of Browns and Bulls and showed nothing.

You keep referring to all these scientific people that think the same way you do but still no proof is given.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0liver View Post
Honestly, Bass stocking would end up being mediocre at best...

Stocking Bow's has ended up being mediocre at best, and I think that we should take the millions spent in stocking ANY fish and put it into revamping Alberta's healthcare / education system... something we can actually gain from? Worse comes to worse just take the money and use it to revamp some of our successful walleye&pike lakes that are now failing so that they can have a better chance at spawning.. add some rip rap on shores, some rocks and such to the bottom of the lakes to allow for a better spawn.. etc etc

my 2 cents.
Oliver
I totally agree!
Old 09-12-2011, 05:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
I'm sure if you were at the table as you say you would be able to produce some information other than something on the internet from Montana which was suppose to prove the hybridize, of Browns and Bulls and showed nothing.

You keep referring to all these scientific people that think the same way you do but still no proof is given.
Horsetrader, please read page 23 of the Status of Bull Trout report.

The sub-title is: "Limiting Factors" and then "Fish Species Introduction".

If you really want to get educated about Bull Trout, read all 61 pages.

If that is not enough of an education for you, I'll gladly provide more
Old 09-12-2011, 05:58 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
The only reason i say that. Is Bass never survived as a self supported species.

and because of the fact they have to restock Bow every year it to was not a self supported species
While that may seem to make sense on the surface, I think you have to look a little deeper. There is no evidence of bass ever spawning in Alberta...the same can't be said about rainbows. I think you need to look at the causes of mortality and the spawning success for each species to get a bit more complete picture before making that comparison. Some of our southern reservoirs may be able to support a smallmouth population but I doubt there is a lake in Alberta suitable for largemouth.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:04 PM

I would be perfectly fine if someone put some smallmouth in Windermere . Then I'd be set , it would go with awesome largemouth fishery there and clear up all the sqauwfish
Old 09-12-2011, 06:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
As a matter of fact when the Bow was more oligotrophic, the trout population and size was quite small. When my uncle was training at Curry Barracks during WW2, he used to fish pools in the Bow with hand grenades. The fish were always few and small.

As the Bow turned into a eutrophic river in a very short period of time the fish population blossomed.

As the Bow turns more eutrophic over the coming years, you will see the trout go away and the pike and walleye being primary feeders.

In fact you can see the eutrophication of the Bow quite well beyond Carseland.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Horsetrader, please read page 23 of the Status of Bull Trout report.

The sub-title is: "Limiting Factors" and then "Fish Species Introduction".

If you really want to get educated about Bull Trout, read all 61 pages.

If that is not enough of an education for you, I'll gladly provide more
I'm not sure what Bull troat have to do with Bass they thrive in different habitats
Old 09-12-2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:
You will have to request documents and studies under the FOI rules from SRD.

Some documents are confidential.
I'll take that as a no.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:02 PM

Quote:
It is not just the issue of Bass; it is an issue of ANY introduced species.

We just don't know what the consequences are.

Why would you want to experiment with that?

Look the facts are that in many cases where there were introduced species, they have unintended consequences. Sometimes to the detriment of indigenous species.

Why are we so bent to insist on this experimentation?

Why not concentrate on what we have, and insure that the habitat is protected or enhanced, and work towards its well being?

In the end, it benefits all, including us anglers.
That sounds like a no also.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorg View Post
I'm not sure what Bull troat have to do with Bass they thrive in different habitats
Have you read the whole thread?

The point has been made many time by myself and others, we *don't* know what the unintended consequences are of non-native plant, animal or fish introductions. That includes closed water bodies, because somehow fish that aren't suppose to be there always seem to find a way of doing so.

Heck, right here in my home town we have a trout pond with no egress or ingress.

How did that 8 lb pike get in there that was caught 2 years ago? Fat, sassy and decimating the stock trout.

So don't tell me anyone can guarantee that any introduced species can be controlled... they cant'

Besides, why spend money on a non-native fish when we have so many of our native fish that can use the help?
Old 09-12-2011, 07:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
In fact you can see the eutrophication of the Bow quite well beyond Carseland.
No doubt assisted by nutrients caused by runoff from fertilization and livestock production.

The City of Calgary itself actually does a very good job on handling their sewage. I recall doing a field trip on the Bow, and the egress from the sewage plant had visibly less suspended material in it then the rest of the river.

Didn't smell either.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:10 PM

Quote:

The point has been made many time by myself and others, we *don't* know what the unintended consequences are of non-native plant, animal or fish introductions. That includes closed water bodies, because somehow fish that aren't suppose to be there always seem to find a way of doing so.

Heck, right here in my home town we have a trout pond with no egress or ingress.

How did that 8 lb pike get in there that was caught 2 years ago? Fat, sassy and decimating the stock trout.

So don't tell me anyone can guarantee that any introduced species can be controlled... they cant'

Besides, why spend money on a non-native fish when we have so many of our native fish that can use the help?
I hear you but you only talk about the possible negatives --- what about the positives of introduced species as with Browns,Rainbows, Pheasants,Huns etc.
nobody is complaining about them.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
When my uncle was training at Curry Barracks during WW2, he used to fish pools in the Bow with hand grenades. The fish were always few and small.
GRENADES do tend to make the fish smaller for sure.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
I'll take that as a no.
If you have a specific search subject, I don't think it will be too hard.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:00 PM
Banned

Quote:

You keep saying that we can not guarantee that an introduced species can't get into other waters. Well you can't guaranteed that that species can't get in to the water at anytime. so that statement is moot and is no reason to stop introducing fish.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
I hear you but you only talk about the possible negatives --- what about the positives of introduced species as with Browns,Rainbows, Pheasants,Huns etc.
Rainbows have had a direct negative effect on western cutthroat trout and likely the Athabasca rainbow trout, which is the only indigenous rainbow trout in Alberta.

I'm not aware of any negatives of Huns - we got lucky.

Although Pheasant hunting is a very popular activity by some Albertan's, if you look at the amount of money that has been spent on this bird, which essentially is a put and take as very few survive our winters, and then think of all the areas of native fish and animals that need money spent on them, which would you rather see? Pheasants or moose? Or sheep? Or get our goats back so we can hunt them? Or the Grizzly bear?

Why spend money on an non-native animal, when so many of our native ones need help, even if there appear to be no negative impacts.

Unless, of course, somehow we find that pot of gold at the end of some rainbow, after we fulfill societies other demands for healthcare, education, roads.... you know... the stuff that makes our world go round.

My vote goes to native species.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:12 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Hybridization between birds is rare so not really a fair comparison and raibows have had some serious impacts on our cuthroats. Browns, the jury is still out. I see you forgot to mention brookies

Lots of stuff has been done in the past that will never be done again in the future. No matter how well-intentioned, two wrongs will never make a right!
Old 09-12-2011, 08:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
While that may seem to make sense on the surface, I think you have to look a little deeper. There is no evidence of bass ever spawning in Alberta...the same can't be said about rainbows. I think you need to look at the causes of mortality and the spawning success for each species to get a bit more complete picture before making that comparison. Some of our southern reservoirs may be able to support a smallmouth population but I doubt there is a lake in Alberta suitable for largemouth.
99% of the waters bows are stock in are not suitable for spawning the % of natural spawned fish is not sufficient to self sustain the species. If the same stocking program was affixed to bass that the trout had there could be a nice bass fishery in alberta at this time
Old 09-12-2011, 08:19 PM

[QUOTE=avb3;1077400]No doubt assisted by nutrients caused by runoff from fertilization and livestock production.

The City of Calgary itself actually does a very good job on handling their sewage. I recall doing a field trip on the Bow, and the egress from the sewage plant had visibly less suspended material in it then the rest of the river.

Didn't smell either.[/QUOTE]

hahahhahahahahahahahahahahhhahahahahah.....you best use your nose instead of some scientific go go gadget meter.

You may be some smart self proclaimed scientist/ expert/ alberta decision maker on the board of experts/ and sportsman against the intro and expansion of fish species.............BUT I live on the BOW , which doesnt make me a expert or a person backed by scientific data. It makes me a street smart angler of the Bow for over 40 years......and after countless non scientific tests here is the results of my extensive experiment.

1....The Bow smells like crap below the poop pipe
2....Brown Trout and Boneless Browns make the river a World Class fishery