Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-27-2019, 06:02 PM
Banned

Default Sausage maker problem

Usually I get my sausage made at Victoria sausage house but this year I decided I'd try a new start up that is fairly local. I took my meat in and got it back in about a week which was good. The problem is that it's the worst sausage I've ever had. No flavour in the garlic sausage. Figured ok well the wife could pickle it and at least enjoy it that way. Jade cheese smokies made. I don't recall ever having smokies that were raw and bland. I cooked some in my smoker and they came out borderline tolerable.

Do I tell the guy his product is junk or chalk it up to a lesson learned and never go back?
Old 01-27-2019, 06:27 PM

That's to bad about your meat, you should call and tell them your concerns.
Old 01-27-2019, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
Usually I get my sausage made at Victoria sausage house but this year I decided I'd try a new start up that is fairly local. I took my meat in and got it back in about a week which was good. The problem is that it's the worst sausage I've ever had. No flavour in the garlic sausage. Figured ok well the wife could pickle it and at least enjoy it that way. Jade cheese smokies made. I don't recall ever having smokies that were raw and bland. I cooked some in my smoker and they came out borderline tolerable.

Do I tell the guy his product is junk or chalk it up to a lesson learned and never go back?
Simple-Just invite him and his family over for Dinner next weekend.

Serve his sausage and once they are eating, ask them what they think.
Old 01-27-2019, 06:54 PM
Banned

Quote:

Maybe bring him a sample of his product and let him talk you into liking it
Old 01-27-2019, 07:40 PM
Banned

I think I'll call him tomorow. I'm more mad at myself for straying away from the tried and tested. Whomever said change is good is a liar.
Old 01-27-2019, 08:49 PM
Banned

You need to tell him. I'd be curious to hear how he handles a complaint like this. I've made 4 new flavors of sausages this year and never had any come out bad. We are always experimenting new recipes.

To say it's the worst sausage you've ever had speaks volumes.
Old 01-28-2019, 05:53 AM

Default make the call

Definitely give them a call. Even though the damage is done, and there is nothing that can be done (apart from running them through the smokehouse again somehow), the owners need to know.
As someone in the industry, I never like getting those kind of calls, but I can honestly tell you that I appreciate feedback. We cant fix problems if we dont know about them!
Old 01-28-2019, 05:55 AM

Should have stayed with Victoria. The owners used to be my neighbours. First owner was the father then the son took it over after they bought the place from an old guy when it was right on 66 st.. Great sausage makers. I assume the son still runs it today. Have not been their in a few years. I get my sausage from a polish place by NAIT now.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:16 AM
Banned

Just got off the phone with the owner of the butcher shop. He asked for me to bring a sample in and was very appreciative of the feed back even if it was negative. I guess whatever happens it won’t replace the meat that I took in and I’m not so sure what it would take to make it right.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
Should have stayed with Victoria. The owners used to be my neighbours. First owner was the father then the son took it over after they bought the place from an old guy when it was right on 66 st.. Great sausage makers. I assume the son still runs it today. Have not been their in a few years. I get my sausage from a polish place by NAIT now.
Yes the son and his wife still run it. Very nice people. I stop in there a couple times a week. I love their sausage stuffed pork chops and their garlic sausage is unreal.
Old 01-30-2019, 06:22 AM

Quote:

Hello,

you should definitely tell him. Otherwise he wouldn't know he is doing it wrong and he would continue disappointing other costumers. Feedback is important and constructive criticism especially!