Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-28-2020, 08:58 PM

Default Looking for how many AR-15's in Canada?

I am scouring CGN for the post where someone had formally requested how many AR-15's were in Canada as of around last fall, I would appreciate it if anyone can find that as I'm writing my MP and I could use it for reference. If I recall there were two such requests fulfilled with a time difference (potentially different persons requesting) and the results showed the increase that a few months made.
Old 01-28-2020, 09:11 PM

Gunter says 60,000

https://torontosun.com/opinion/colum...on-not-reality

There are around 60,000 AR-15s registered in Canada right now. If they were ever going to be a threat to public safety, they would be already. So doesn’t it stand to reason that if that many “scary” guns aren’t currently a threat, then banning them will be meaningless?
Old 01-28-2020, 09:28 PM

I'm recalling something closer to 72,000 AR-15's on the freedom if information request that someone had posted a photo of. I want the pic for proof. Every claim or point in my letter to my MP will be accompanied by proof. It may even have been 82,000 but I'm confident its way more than 60K
Old 01-28-2020, 10:10 PM

Angry The MP's are confused because they experience things differently

None, there are no AR15's in Canada. They all self-identify as remote drills.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 01-28-2020, 10:39 PM

Found it! As of August 14th, 2019, there were 75,634 registered AR-15's in Canada.

Old 01-28-2020, 11:05 PM

I'm thinking the plan is to ban all "assault" type rifles. This would include all the non-restricted AR types with barrels over 18"
Be interesting to find out what the number of non-restricted AR type rifles out there.
Old 01-29-2020, 09:31 AM

I just bought 2 more this week so you can add those
One is a pretty nice DDM4V5 (thanks Win Mag)
Old 01-29-2020, 10:44 AM

At one point, they were non restricted, like the FN Unless registered since, there still have to be a number of those out there. Who Knows ?

Grizz
Old 01-29-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Found it! As of August 14th, 2019, there were 75,634 registered AR-15's in Canada.

Tell me again how the suggested "forced confiscation" is going to only cost 600 million? If they ban everything from the NZ list that number is going to be so big that the only way it will cost 600 million is if they pay peanuts for people's legally acquired property....
Old 01-29-2020, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post

I would have thought it would be a lot higher than that. We may be in more trouble than I thought we were. 76,000 AR-15's with a population of 37 million. If people only own one that is 1 in about 500 people (or about 0.2% of the population). I know most people that have an AR have more that one so if I had to guess it would be more like 1 in 1500 people (or about 0.07% of the population. I highly doubt our government will even care about that low of a number of voters (and, yes I do realize the entire population is not of voting age or AR ownership age but you get the idea....)
Old 01-29-2020, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guysmiley View Post
Tell me again how the suggested "forced confiscation" is going to only cost 600 million? If they ban everything from the NZ list that number is going to be so big that the only way it will cost 600 million is if they pay peanuts for people's legally acquired property....
Imagine all of the accessories rendered useless without a firearm to affix them to. Magazines, back-up iron sights, certain optics, QD harnesses, rail accessories like flashlights and everything up to and including picatinny-mounted espresso machines.

Also to consider is that the number the suggest likely includes administration costs, so things like staff salaries and office rent will drive down any $$ to pay firearms owners. That being said, we also know all to well to never trust their claims as to what a program will really cost.
Old 01-29-2020, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren32 View Post
I would have thought it would be a lot higher than that. We may be in more trouble than I thought we were. 76,000 AR-15's with a population of 37 million. If people only own one that is 1 in about 500 people (or about 0.2% of the population). I know most people that have an AR have more that one so if I had to guess it would be more like 1 in 1500 people (or about 0.07% of the population. I highly doubt our government will even care about that low of a number of voters (and, yes I do realize the entire population is not of voting age or AR ownership age but you get the idea....)
I've run those numbers myself and had the same conclusion. Of course there will be the owners of NR semi-auto's such as XCR's (I used to have one), AR-180's, etc that might not have AR's, but they likely don't exceed the AR contingent. The SKS owners however will outnumber the AR's, and those are likely being eyeballed too, but with no registration trail to follow there would likely be little voluntary co-operation by those owners.
Old 01-29-2020, 11:29 AM

Quote:
15% compliance would make it a lot cheaper. But unlikely with registered firearms.
Also, $75 for a used, stripped lower because that’s all people turn in would make it a lot cheaper than $800 for the full rifle. That could make 100% compliance cost 5.6million instead of 60 million. (ARs only)
(those are prices I made up, not based on any facts)
Old 01-29-2020, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyallpeder View Post
15% compliance would make it a lot cheaper. But unlikely with registered firearms.
Also, $75 for a used, stripped lower because that’s all people turn in would make it a lot cheaper than $800 for the full rifle. That could make 100% compliance cost 5.6million instead of 60 million. (ARs only)
(those are prices I made up, not based on any facts)
I see your point. Only stripped lowers turned in would be funny.

However many AR's are worth a lot more than 800 as a full rifle. (I know you made up the number but some government person will do the same)
Old 01-29-2020, 11:49 AM

Quote:

However many AR's are worth a lot more than 800 as a full rifle. (I know you made up the number but some government person will do the same)
Stripped lowers are registered as stripped lowers, "Frame/receiver only" printed right on the certificate. Complete rifles are registered as complete rifles. Pretty sure just turning in the lower from a complete rifle is not going to work.
Old 01-29-2020, 12:35 PM

Quote:

Yeah, I was thinking Chinese ones are worth less so I was going for a bit of an average.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren32 View Post
Stripped lowers are registered as stripped lowers, "Frame/receiver only" printed right on the certificate. Complete rifles are registered as complete rifles. Pretty sure just turning in the lower from a complete rifle is not going to work.
It would depend on the timings. If you could sell the rest of it and turn in the lower before the 30 days you have to notify them. All speculations at this point.