Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-21-2019, 02:28 PM

Default Barrows goldeneye

Hey guys and gals,

Anybody make a habit of hunting barrows goldeneye ducks for eating? What would you compare them to as fast as taste?

Thx!

Big mouth don't make a big man-John Wayne
Old 09-21-2019, 04:30 PM

A dogfish. Lol
Old 09-23-2019, 04:42 PM
Gone Hunting

Banana Slug.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 09-23-2019, 10:04 PM

By far the hardest bird to debreast.

LIFE IS TO SHORT TO HAVE AN UGLY LOOKIN DOG .....GET A LAB
Old 09-25-2019, 04:05 PM

Well I took a couple home on the wknd and have to say to those with the snarky remarks that you either haven't actually tried them or don't know how to prepare wild meat because my wife I thought they tasted great and will be taking more home given the chance. But yes threeforthree they were a challenge to breast lol.

Big mouth don't make a big man-John Wayne
Old 09-25-2019, 04:48 PM

Default A more interesting question

How would you come across Barrows for eating they are generally a coastal bird of the north west but do show up on the east coast and Iceland/Greenland from time to time. I have carving friends in Seattle and along the coast who carve them for ocean hunts but I have never heard of them inland. Common is all over northern Canada with just the round white but that oblong spot of the barrows is distinctly ocean going and coastal unless I am missing something.
Saw a king eider in Alberta once so anything is possible!!
Old 09-26-2019, 01:46 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
How would you come across Barrows for eating they are generally a coastal bird of the north west but do show up on the east coast and Iceland/Greenland from time to time. I have carving friends in Seattle and along the coast who carve them for ocean hunts but I have never heard of them inland. Common is all over northern Canada with just the round white but that oblong spot of the barrows is distinctly ocean going and coastal unless I am missing something.
Saw a king eider in Alberta once so anything is possible!!
I don't know any thing about their range but I know I see them around GP and this summer a flock of about fifty spent the summer on Leddy Lake just north of Peace River. We have photos to prove it.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 09-26-2019, 02:04 PM

Default Cool Jim

Never even seen one alive. We used to get big flocks of common (whistlers) trying to land in our long line scaup sets in northern Ontario. Rule of thumb was is they landed upright shoot again before they dive. In those days it was number 4 lead and the toughest birds I have ever hunted.
According to my research the Barrows is generally considered a bird that breeds west of the continental divide but there are exceptions. One such exception seems to be a small group breeding near Grand Cache.

Quote:
Quote:
Barrow's Goldeneye is chiefly a bird of the western montane region of North America. Once referred to as the Rocky Mountain Goldeneye, this species is generally restricted to areas west of the Continental Divide, with small numbers found in the eastern Canadian Maritime Provinces and United States during winter.
Old 09-30-2019, 11:41 AM

Goldeneyes are quite possibly the worst eating duck there is and an absolute pain to clean.

Beautiful birds, fun to shoot, and edible if cooked right. But compared to mallards, specks wood ducks, etc., disgusting would be an understatement.
Old 09-30-2019, 08:35 PM

Default Goldeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeforthree View Post
By far the hardest bird to debreast.
Ours were common Goldeye this weekend, and yes they are an S.O.B to debreast, but boy do they taste good.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony5 View Post
Ours were common Goldeye this weekend, and yes they are an S.O.B to debreast, but boy do they taste good.
Seriously? Where about did you shoot them? Have to have quite the unique diet as I have eaten my fair share of GEs and I honestly think they're worse than mergansers.
Old 10-01-2019, 01:07 PM

Default Goldeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSD Addict View Post
Seriously? Where about did you shoot them? Have to have quite the unique diet as I have eaten my fair share of GEs and I honestly think they're worse than mergansers.
Small pond just east of town, 1/2 way between Calgary and Lethbridge. Very little difference in taste than any other duck. I've never eaten a fish duck tho (Merganser).