Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-20-2019, 09:06 PM

Default Brute Force 750 with carb. do you own one?

I have a 06 BruteForce 750 that I bought new.
After tearing it down to adjust the valves I noticed a knob on the right side of the front carb. It looked like a priming plunger.

After reading in the owners manual apparently the Canadian versions of these have a priming pump. I have fought with getting this thing started after sitting for a while or when very cold....for 13 years!

Just figured I'd post this in case any of you still own one of these quads and didn't read the manual like me.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:07 PM

Funny .
Old 09-21-2019, 08:25 AM

I had the same one, the primer did not help. And how to you get to it to prime the carb? I finally had enough and got rid of it. My outlander 800 starts anytime any temp.
Old 09-21-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgavey View Post
I had the same one, the primer did not help. And how to you get to it to prime the carb? I finally had enough and got rid of it. My outlander 800 starts anytime any temp.
I used my hand and reached in. Usually the first start of the day takes a full minute of cranking. Tried primer last night and it fired as soon as starter engaged.
Old 09-21-2019, 09:11 AM

I’ve had a brute force carved since 2007 it’s a 2005, 16000km on it they are very cold blooded machine but the primer does help on the Canadian built machines, but the absolute best thing you can do to help your brute start is to get rid of the vacuum fuel pump and put on a electric fuel pump. Part of the reason it takes so long to crank after it sits is the carb bowls drain back a little and the vacuum pump is slow to build back up especially if it’s low on compression.
Old 09-21-2019, 09:29 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post
I have a 06 BruteForce 750 that I bought new.
After tearing it down to adjust the valves I noticed a knob on the right side of the front carb. It looked like a priming plunger.

After reading in the owners manual apparently the Canadian versions of these have a priming pump. I have fought with getting this thing started after sitting for a while or when very cold....for 13 years!

Just figured I'd post this in case any of you still own one of these quads and didn't read the manual like me.
So do older Hondas......real easy to start after a few plunges.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-21-2019, 03:37 PM

Oh my 13yrs. I have an 06. Time flies. Sure doesn’t seem like it’s that old. I am the third owner of mine. It came from a guy who went to the statesman picked it up back when the dollar was at par and quads and trucks were a hot item. I will have to peak at mine just to see if it happens to have one of them. Probably not since it didn’t start out life here. But yes she cranks and cranks for awhile after sitting before she decides to go
Old 09-21-2019, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBF View Post
Oh my 13yrs. I have an 06. Time flies. Sure doesn’t seem like it’s that old. I am the third owner of mine. It came from a guy who went to the statesman picked it up back when the dollar was at par and quads and trucks were a hot item. I will have to peak at mine just to see if it happens to have one of them. Probably not since it didn’t start out life here. But yes she cranks and cranks for awhile after sitting before she decides to go
I recommend the electric fuel pump install it will make it so much easier to start engine barely cranks before it fires up. Much easier on starter and battery life.
Old 09-21-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Oh my 13yrs. I have an 06. Time flies.
I had to do a double take on the 13 year part. Didn't seem that long. I don't use this quad very often. 250 hours total and over 100 of those were in year one, so I have put on less than 150hrs in 12 years.
Old 09-21-2019, 06:19 PM

just looked at my '05 BF, no plunger looking thing, can you describe exactly where on right side it is Buckbush?
Old 09-21-2019, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 204ruger View Post
I recommend the electric fuel pump install it will make it so much easier to start engine barely cranks before it fires up. Much easier on starter and battery life.
This I am interested in. Find on YouTube perhaps or do you have a link?
Old 09-21-2019, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
just looked at my '05 BF, no plunger looking thing, can you describe exactly where on right side it is Buckbush?
On the lower right hand side of the front carb.
Just give it the reach around, feel for a small knob.
Push it in and you can hear it pushing fuel.
Old 09-21-2019, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post
On the lower right hand side of the front carb.
Just give it the reach around, feel for a small knob.
Push it in and you can hear it pushing fuel.
That's so awesome, you have been a really big help, never knew it was on there for the
almost 2yrs I've owned it!! Many Thanks to you!

Here's a pic for any others who want to know what the black thing looks like.
Also, I was having trouble finding it through the bottom right hand
side panel, I should have been looking inside front fender area.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190921_202726[1].jpg (35.5 KB, 36 views)
Old 09-21-2019, 09:10 PM

Quote:
This I am interested in. Find on YouTube perhaps or do you have a link?
I did mine years ago and at that time I did a post on a atv forum but I think it’s since been removed. Not sure if there are any videos of others doing the same mod. I can try find you a link.
U can buy the same fuel pump I used from princess auto it’s a 12v posi flow fuel pump that runs about 3-5 psi any more and it’ll push past the float needle and seat
First you’ll need to take the plastic tray with all your electronics on it out so u can see the fuel tank and pump and valve. Remove your fuel pump by paying attention to what lines go where because all you will need is fuel line to carbs and fuel line from tank valve. The valve that is on top of tank will have a prime and on position you’ll need to turn that to prime. Now plug off the one fitting that a vacuum line went to on that valve and the fuel out to fuel pump is the one you will put into your new pump I put my new pump upside down where the old one was, And the other end gets the line that goes to carbs. (Sorry if that’s sounds too obvious) now that you won’t need the vacuum lines coming from heads u can cut them shorter and plug them together with a vacuum line connector it’ll work as a mini crossover or u can just put vacuum plugs right into the head ports.
For fuel pump electrical hook 12v to key on power and ground straight to battery.
The way that my fuel pump lays in under the electrical tray upside down it works out I put heavy foam weather stripping on top and bottom of it and put tray back in place.
Turning your valve on top of tank from on position to prime is crucial for the electric fuel pump install.
By far the best thing that ever happened to my brute
If any of that is unclear you can pm me not sure if this is the place for write ups like this.