Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-18-2019, 06:25 PM

Default Aggressive Dog

I've been a dog owner for over 25 years. I dont understand how people can tolerate aggressive dogs.I was out with my spaniel on a secluded park and out of nowhere a Shepard cross came out of the corner and hot and hit her hard. Thankfully I had my walking stick so I sent a few snaps across the dogs back, it let go for a few seconds and charged again. I was able to pick my Brittany up and shield her, the owner came out yelling the dogs name but it would not listen. I was close to my truck so I was able to lift her on the hood while the dog kept keeping to get at her. I don't like injuring animals but I had to deliver a few kicks to the dog to slow it down. The owner was finally able to get a leash on it. We were both pretty heated. No injuries to my dog just scared and confused. I told the owner his dog should not be off leash as it was obviously aggressive. My Brittany is a female so there was no way she was competing with the dog. I was not injured nor was the Shepard He apologized over and over, I just told him he needed to control his animal. I wish people were more informed on their pets. If my pet was harmed I told him he would have to pay for vet Bill's. He was very sorry, but I just told him he needed to put a muzzle on it or not take it off leash. It was an older dog with a harness which by the way the owner had no control of, I politely told him he needed a leash around his neck not a harness

Last edited by kinwahkly; 09-18-2019 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-18-2019, 06:33 PM

Reminds me of a co-worker, who was running his dogs at a park in Edmonton several years ago. A strange dog attacked his dogs, and when he told the owner to control his dog, the guy gave him a face full of pepper spray.
Old 09-18-2019, 06:40 PM

Default I hear ya...

Yup, some dogs just shouldn't be off leash...wether it's a lack of training or whatever the cause, keep em leashed if they act like that, period. But some people just don't get it...see dogs like that all the time at the bloody dog park! My lab is now big enough and so ball/fetch focused he is finally able to just ignore them long enough and out run them that they usually loose interest in harassing him...but the odd time it does require intervention. I worry more about my young kids when they are with us at the park...they are under strict instructions to stay close...happy dog walking!
Old 09-18-2019, 07:57 PM

Was throwing a stick in the river for my lab to retrieve. A person that probably weighed 80 lbs had a dog that probably weighed 140 lbs arrived. They proceeded to inform me that i wasn't allowed to throw a stick while their dog was present. I laughed and said control your dog or leave while continuing to throw the stick. She says loudly to her friend, well, I guess zwe have to leave because this ****tard won't stop throwing hthe stick. I still laugh about this.
Old 09-18-2019, 09:05 PM

Aggressive or dangerous dogs are a liability for their owners, sometimes criminal.

I love dogs as much as any dog lover, but when an animal is a threat to others and their owners cannot control them (and sometimes get defensive), it’s a do what you must situation. Glad this ended how it did. Imagine a small child getting unlucky.

I think a reasonable preventative measure is reporting problem situations when encountered, if it’s bad enough. Everyone seems to tolerate this until a real incident happens.

Please give your girl a scratch behind the ears for me and good job responding.
Old 09-18-2019, 09:23 PM

If that happened to me ... I most likely would be buying a new walking stick.

D.

Old 09-18-2019, 11:07 PM

.22 shells are cheap, and it only takes one to solve the problem. The aggressive ones need to be taken out of the gene pool for the same reason we weed a garden.
Old 09-19-2019, 06:06 AM

I have a dog, 91lbs and aggressive toward other dogs. She is 6 years old and I have had her since Jan, (she is a rescue dog). I don't understand it because she came from a pack of dogs. But anyway I keep her on a leash, with spikes, when we are out, and I do not allow her to mix with other dogs. I know she is aggressive, loves humans, but aggressive towards other dogs. This is my second dog that has been a rescue dog. The first was raised as a bait dog and she WAS aggressive. Had her for 12 years and in all that time she never bit another dog, (but in all honestly, it was not from lack of trying). I agree with some one who said that a dog of this nature should be put down, but I can't allow it.
Old 09-19-2019, 06:28 AM

My farm dog is now 10, got aggressive a few years back (very protective of the place). We don't take him anywhere anymore, but I feel we owe it to him to live his life out on the farm. When people come to visit we muzzle him. He did chase a guy out of the yard a few months back that got out of his truck and started looking around , so job well done there. A cop pulled in this summer looking for a truck driving around the area, the dog would not let him out of his car. I called him back and thought I might be in for a lecturer when I went to his window, he just said good dog, and asked if I seen anything then left.
Old 09-19-2019, 06:52 AM

Angry

From what I have seen ,Some people should not own dogs, just as some people should not have kids and yet they have both the lack of care and responsibility .
Old 09-19-2019, 07:54 AM

Something very similar happened to us and our Brittany.

Two German Shepards were chasing her down, one on either side of her. I had never before heard my dog make a sound like that and haven't since.

I called her and she came flying into my arms.

The other dog owner was "they're just playing"

Sometimes I really hate the dog park.

Glad your dog was OK
Old 09-19-2019, 08:00 AM

Default Dog Parks

Dog parks go a long way toward keeping vets in business. I simply will not go to one. Enough places I can take my dog off leash that I don't have to run that risk.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Dog parks go a long way toward keeping vets in business. I simply will not go to one. Enough places I can take my dog off leash that I don't have to run that risk.
X2 i hate dog parks, and honestly not a big fan of people either. Lol. I enjoy fresh air and open spaces with the pupp, fortunate to have plenty of room in my neck of the woods. When its play time the neighbour lets his retriever out and the pups have thier fun.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:40 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
If that happened to me ... I most likely would be buying a new walking stick.

D.
Half snapped off in the ribs......surprising how things turn south real quick when an idiot has something they can't control.....had a littl puffy dos just this we-end bolt down the drive way onto our land to engage my lab for what ever reason...I gave my ol'girl a heads up....I know what she does to little turds that try to hurt her.....she usually brings them to my side and drops'em......as in a squirrel I made a bad shot and she retrieves it with a rather hard first bite

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-19-2019, 08:42 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post
My farm dog is now 10, got aggressive a few years back (very protective of the place). We don't take him anywhere anymore, but I feel we owe it to him to live his life out on the farm. When people come to visit we muzzle him. He did chase a guy out of the yard a few months back that got out of his truck and started looking around , so job well done there. A cop pulled in this summer looking for a truck driving around the area, the dog would not let him out of his car. I called him back and thought I might be in for a lecturer when I went to his window, he just said good dog, and asked if I seen anything then left.
And that is the key to great pet ownership! More should follow this but unfortunately don't....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-19-2019, 08:53 AM

Though I tend to avoid the big dog parks in good weather, i find the smaller ones ok. Though I have had more issues release sites, considering that we see hundreds of dogs through the yaear and only a few at release sites.

Surprisingly though after supper in the dead of winter the dogs in Southland dog park mostly tend to be reliable and have decent owners. would not go near the place Saturday afternoon in the summer.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Exactly. Dogs are animals with natural instincts that sometimes can be softened by training.
It beats me how people can think that multiple dogs can run around loose and there are not going to be any displays of Alpha behavior.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:34 AM

I don’t trust dogs with a brown face.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:56 AM

I fish in a few parks through out the city, everyone has signs warning that dogs must be on leash, everyday I see these arrogant dog owners letting their dogs run all over.
I was out recently with my 4 year old, a big dog ran up to us and knocked him over, the owner said "don't worry he's friendly". My boy who is 4 doesn't understand that type of "friendly."
two days later I'm the same park, some clown is on his phone as his do starts trying to bite my buddies legs, he yells at the owner and the guy says "don't worry he doesn't bite hard."
In a park, off leash, uncontrollable, but doesn't bite hard..... what is wrong with these people?

At that point I decided the next dog that comes at me aggressively, off leash in a park, I will stab and deal with in court.
Old 09-19-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
I don’t trust dogs with a brown face.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 09-19-2019, 11:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGuard84 View Post
Aggressive or dangerous dogs are a liability for their owners, sometimes criminal.

I love dogs as much as any dog lover, but when an animal is a threat to others and their owners cannot control them (and sometimes get defensive), it’s a do what you must situation. Glad this ended how it did. Imagine a small child getting unlucky.

I think a reasonable preventative measure is reporting problem situations when encountered, if it’s bad enough. Everyone seems to tolerate this until a real incident happens.

Please give your girl a scratch behind the ears for me and good job responding.
This! Poor, irresponsible owners need to be held libel and responsible for their dogs bad behavior. Reporting aggressive dogs will force the owners to take responsibility for their dogs behavior.

A dog park should be a place that's safe to take any dog and should help reinforce positive socialization behavior which is essential if a dog is to be taken out in public and expected to interact in a positive manner.

Yes, a lot of dog behavior is instinctive but instinct can be directed in positive ways with the proper behavioral training.

There is a saying that there is no bad dogs, just bad owners, and that's true in large part, although not universal. Owners who either don't understand or don't care to properly socialize their dogs from a very early age are the cause of a lot of dog issues in the parks.

The first 12 weeks of a dogs life are critical in learning and experiencing a wide range of activities, situations and interactions in a positive environment.
Doing the right things right at this early stage can instill the fundamentals to set the dog up properly for the rest of it's life. Failure by the breeder and/or owner to recognize this and put the time and effort in tips the scales from an ounce of prevention situation to a pound of cure requirement.

Of course, in the case of a rescue dog, all bets are off as to what exposure they may have had in their early life. While bringing a rescue dog into your life is an admirable undertaking, it should come with a commitment and understanding that they may require a significant amount of behavioral work if the intention is to engage and interact with other dogs in an off-lease dog park environment. Some dogs are never able to overcome behavioral issues regardless of the amount of rehabilitation effort.

That's fine too, but it's up to the owner to recognize this and to never put their dog in a situation that's a set up to failure because when that happens, it's on the owner, not the dog, although the dog may end up paying the ultimate price.

It's not your dogs right to run amuck and terrorize other dogs in a public dog park, but as an owner you are responsible for it's behavior. Going to a dog park shouldn't be a social event for the owners. Many times I've seen them gather to chat in groups or stare obsessively at their Iphones and completely ignore their dogs behavior. Keep it on a lease and/or stay out of the park if your dog has issues, it's your responsibility.
Old 09-19-2019, 11:11 AM

I love dogs and have owned many. Dog comes at me on his turf I will back off if I can or dissuade him enough to retreat. Dog comes at me or mine on my turf or open ground, he will only do it once cause then he is dead. Don't care if the owner doesn't like it, they should have controlled their dog. If you can't kill it yourself, you had better at least get a picture of dog, and if possible the owner and report it before it hurts someone else. Aggressive dogs have usually hurt a number of people or otehr animals before they ever get dealt with effectively.
Old 09-19-2019, 12:03 PM

Harness is for sleigh pulling . Neighbor has two out of control dogs with harness . No control . Kind of funny . Look at the dog taking the owner for a run .
Old 09-19-2019, 12:30 PM

Thumbs down

This summer a german shephard put the run on my wife, chased her into her own house down our driveway. She was in full panic, she thought the dog was going to kill her. It was snarling and frothing, yelping at her, it had attack on it's empty little mind.
It was not a long time resident, it was a transient Ontario transplant renting a furnished house (who I actually am evicting tomorrow for not paying rent for 6 months, but that is another story.) No, I am not the landlord.
I went to the owner, told him it it happened again and the dog bit someone I would kill the dog.
Tearing after her like that, if it got onto the 2 or 6 year old grandsons I would be in jail for a lot worse than killing the dog.
People need to understand that fur lined sharp tooth bearing animals can cause a lot of damage and kill.
It seems stupid people do stupid things with stupid animals.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-19-2019, 12:54 PM

Dogs are awesome. Just ask their owners.

Calgary could have solved their $60million budget issue by posting a couple of bylaw officers on the path along the river in Quarry Park. Between the off leash dogs and speeding cyclists, the city would have that 60 million in no time.
Old 09-19-2019, 01:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
Dogs are awesome. Just ask their owners.

Calgary could have solved their $60million budget issue by posting a couple of bylaw officers on the path along the river in Quarry Park. Between the off leash dogs and speeding cyclists, the city would have that 60 million in no time.
Yup, same with Nose Hill park which is a wildlife area and is mostly on-lease. Plenty of signage, but the dogs can't read so it's up to the owners. Most of them thinks it's cute when Fido chases the deer.

But the problem is deeper than just ignorant owners. I've had numerous conversations with city bylaw department and the Councillor for the area. They refuse to address the problem. I'm up there 2-3 times a week and this year and the non-compliance rate is in excess of 70% of the dogs I see in the park.

In talking with one bylaw supervisor I was privileged to hear this gem: "There's only so much we can do. It's not fair if I'm writing a ticket to one dog owner and three other offenders are visible in the park and I can't catch them all"

Of course I told her that approach of catching some sends a message to the rest that the bylaw will be enforced, seems to work for the police when they step out with a radar gun and pull over a car, ever notice how the others slow down and get put on notice they could be next.

She did say they have a very good information program and prefer to hand out pamphlets reminding people of the park rules. I told her the non-compliance rate is over 70% and that the program is a failure and a waste of taxpayer funds. Well that hurt her feelings and didn't want to continue the conversation any longer.

Every time I'm in the park I take the opportunity to tell negligent owners of the bylaw and ask them to put their dog on a leash. Well in this day and age people can be pretty self righteous, even when they're in the wrong. I've been cursed at often, one owner ran up on me and said if I don't leave the park immediately I'd have to crawl out. When I stood my ground and pulled out my phone (camera) his tune changed pretty quickly. Another common comment is: What are you going to do, arrest me?

Others are very respectful (as I am with them) and thank me for letting them know as they were not aware and thought the whole park was off leash. Then I'll see the same owners two days later in the park doing the same thing

For the ignorant ones, I've followed them back to their vehicles in the parking lot and recorded their license number. Bylaw says they follow up with these complaints but I highly doubt it.

I'm not anti-dog, I'm very much anti-ignorant owner though. When I have these discussions I always have my dog with me, on the lease of course.
Old 09-19-2019, 01:38 PM

Default aggresive dog

I keep two large dogs here at my repair shop (commercial automotive on trans Canada hwy) the one is definitly aggressive, the other just follows to see whats goin on. They never leave the place except for Vet trips, they have no access to the public, they have all access to the interior of the shop when we lock up at days end. Have they bitten ? absolutely ( GOOD DOG ) some lowlife turd pried the exhust vent off the over head door and reached in ( interior video cam caught the act ) he was still there when the police came, the dog wouldn't let go inside. The officer told me I would need to take dog to vet for
isolation confinement (because of the bite) I questioned this because the dog was doing its job very well in my opinion, his response was that the dog may have picked up something from the would be burgler and I should be concerned for the dog!!!! Would I take these two to a public park ? NO WAY! It would irresponsible for me and be detriment to a good dog otherwise. Accoutability for ones actions should determine pet ownership.
Old 09-19-2019, 01:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brass410 View Post
I keep two large dogs here at my repair shop (commercial automotive on trans Canada hwy) the one is definitly aggressive, the other just follows to see whats goin on. They never leave the place except for Vet trips, they have no access to the public, they have all access to the interior of the shop when we lock up at days end. Have they bitten ? absolutely ( GOOD DOG ) some lowlife turd pried the exhust vent off the over head door and reached in ( interior video cam caught the act ) he was still there when the police came, the dog wouldn't let go inside. The officer told me I would need to take dog to vet for
isolation confinement (because of the bite) I questioned this because the dog was doing its job very well in my opinion, his response was that the dog may have picked up something from the would be burgler and I should be concerned for the dog!!!! Would I take these two to a public park ? NO WAY! It would irresponsible for me and be detriment to a good dog otherwise. Accoutability for ones actions should determine pet ownership.
This! Absolutely. Desirable dog behavior in protecting its "turf" is entirely different than desirable dog park behavior. It's up to the owner to understand the difference and act accordingly.
Old 09-19-2019, 01:52 PM

Small containers of dog spray are readily available. Similar to bear spray, but less potent and a lot smaller. I would also imagine that some kind of holster or holder is also available.

A very handy item in this situation or also in the event of a coyote going after your dog. I watched a lady trying to fend off a coyote with a branch that she had picked up after a coyote had started trying to get at her dog which was on a leash. The coyote was too fast for the lady to touch it and at the same time her dog was pulling at the leash wanting to play with the coyote.

http://youtu.be/ZLDzPH-cBhw
Old 09-19-2019, 03:46 PM

My lab cross is a rescue dog. He is very protective of what's his (family, & property). However he is ok with people & tolerates bigger dogs. Small ankle bitters (dogs) he cannot stand at all.

Went for a walk the other day with the lab and our shelltie cross. Both have prong collars and I still out way both. Walking down the busy main drag in town and the Sheltie becomes alert. There was 2 adults and 2 small kids (kids had control of a small dog and one a little bigger). The bigger one broke loose and was screaming across the road barking his head off and went after my Sheltie. Before I could shorten up their leases the lab had this dog by the neck and pinned to the ground. I called him off and the other dog whimpered and headed back across the busy road. The lady ran out to get him mean while the smaller dog broke free from the other little girl and repeat except I had tim to wring in my dogs so no contact. The lady was apologising and trying to round up the dogs out on the road. I said no wup but you should get your animals under control and off the road. I also said I hope your pup is ok and did not get hurt.

Fast forward to the next week walking down the same road and the lady comes out of her house and says do you know you dog bite my dog and it cost me $200.00 in vet bills but you probably don't give a sh*t. I said excuse me! Who's dog got loose and went on the attack lady. Mine were leased and controlled. She just wave me off and said you better do something about that dog, maybe I should report it. I bite my tough thinking it's just not worth it and moved on.

We have a lot of yappy ankle biter mutts in our town and quit a few run loose. Maybe I should let the lab loose to cual the heard. Lol

My dogs are either in our yard or on lease. If they are allowed to run it is away from all other people and animals. He is a good dog but scared of everything and was not a problem as a pup. Now that he has grown he is very protective and we know this so always adult supervised around kids or other dogs. Just the way it is.