Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-17-2019, 04:06 PM

Default Rifle Stock help please

So I contacted Boyds about a stock for my left handed Tikka varmint. I want a laminate as the weight gain would be a plus in my mind. The rifle will be used for bench shooting. Problem is Boyd's does not make a left hand heavy barrel stock and won't make one for me. The girl did say the Pro Varmint stock I am interested in is available in left in a sporter barrel. She said there is lots of wood there if I want to open the barrel channel. Trouble is I don't know how to do that. I am thinking I would lay the barrel in the channel and go at it with emery cloth wrapped around the barrel with the grit facing the channel. I would draw the paper back and forth removing the wood in the channel. Is this how this is done?

Money is an issue, so please don't recommend an 800 dollar custom made stock.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-17-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
So I contacted Boyds about a stock for my left handed Tikka varmint. I want a laminate as the weight gain would be a plus in my mind. The rifle will be used for bench shooting. Problem is Boyd's does not make a left hand heavy barrel stock and won't make one for me. The girl did say the Pro Varmint stock I am interested in is available in left in a sporter barrel. She said there is lots of wood there if I want to open the barrel channel. Trouble is I don't know how to do that. I am thinking I would lay the barrel in the channel and go at it with emery cloth wrapped around the barrel with the grit facing the channel. I would draw the paper back and forth removing the wood in the channel. Is this how this is done?

Money is an issue, so please don't recommend an 800 dollar custom made stock.
I would use dowel or pipe that closely matches your barrel but you have the right idea yup
Old 09-17-2019, 04:20 PM
Banned

30 min with the proper tool sandpaper will make you go mad. Find a gunsmith close to you and 40-50$ and your set. Obviously touch up the inletted surface with oil or stain to seal it up. You may even find the tool on amazon. Looks like a series of sharpened washers on a file handle
Old 09-17-2019, 04:33 PM

Seen a video on Brownells sight a few years back,they had a tool that attatched to a drill.I have done them with a smaller rasp and then sandpaper &-dowl and a couple hours.
Old 09-17-2019, 04:41 PM

I think the Varmint stock in LH laminate would be plenty of weight to use off the bench. They are heavy. As for the barrel channel, that job is fairly easy but I would contact a professional to do the channel and some action bedding.
With a heavy barrel finished at .800 or so, plus 'scope, the rifle could well be close to 10 lbs > all up.
Old 09-19-2019, 01:26 PM

It really isn't an issue with the proper tools and time but you will definitely want to get it bedded after.
Old 09-19-2019, 02:29 PM

Opening up the barrel channel is really pretty easy/ You can send to Brownelles for the proper barrel rasp, or if you have some patience, take some 60 grit sand paper, wrap it around a DEEP type socket from your set of craftsman sockets and run it back and forth in the barrel channel. Move to larger diameter sockets as the channel opens up so you maintain even contact with the bottom and sides. I have done more than one that way as I lent out my rasp and it never came home, damned if I recall who I lent it to. PM me you phone number if you want to talk it over.