Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-14-2019, 09:18 PM

Default flooring suggestions for the gun room

Looking for flooring suggestions for the gun room. My gun room is raised off the concrete floor by 2" and has tongue and groove flooring in it (pine I think)
I am looking for a tougher flooring as solvents, tool chest and tool boxes made a mess of the last "lino" that was in the room.

I am considering using the same "lino" that the hospitals use on their floors? it is pretty pricey but the floor place said it should stand up to my tool boxes but maybe not to the solvents?

So looking for suggestions..Steel or aluminum would be a last choice as they are cold and as this room is in the basement of the house, looks are sort of important.

Thanks for your time:
Shooter
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:01 PM

Maybe look into Epoxy flooring. It is durable and can be colorful. It is used more in garages but might work for what you need. Whatever you choose for flooring Uline has 27" x 20' rolls of neoprene floor runners that are no adhesive and no slip for under your toolboxes and to protect the floor.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 09-14-2019, 10:11 PM

Luxury Vinyl Plank or LVP. Tough and cheap, goes down like laminate but far superior. No need for mats or trays for your toolbox’s etc.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:33 PM

The same as hospitals would be CVT of some sort and actually really cheap payed 1.25 a sf last year but needs to be sealed and waxed and then stripped sometimes and redone depending on traffic.LVT is great but will say I bought some used and it seems like where anything heavy was it crushed it down and yes will still scratch and if it is deep can not be buffed out.I would maybe lean in a gun room towards CVT but unless you put a subfloor in and glue it to that instead of the concrete will still be really cold.If it was me think I would put CVT down and a cheap area rud where I would walk,sit or stand much.Just my 2 cents which might only be worth 1 cent lol .Edit to add https://www.armstrongflooring.com/co...tion-tile.html and dead simple to DIY
Old 09-14-2019, 10:37 PM

Would ceramic tile work for you or would it be too brittle for the toolboxes and stuff?

A good anti fatigue mat where you stand would be a bonus.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:50 PM

It did have cvt in it and it stood up well for a couple years but then marked up really badly...and waxing is not for me..

I would be very leary of ceramic I think it would break if I dropped a hammer etc.

The stuff the floor company suggested was not a CVT but a "Hard vinyl ?? " which is welded together and comes in 6' wide rolls, over 6 bucks a square foot.

Keep your ideas coming guys we will figure it out..lol
Old 09-14-2019, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
It did have cvt in it and it stood up well for a couple years but then marked up really badly...and waxing is not for me..

I would be very leary of ceramic I think it would break if I dropped a hammer etc.

The stuff the floor company suggested was not a CVT but a "Hard vinyl ?? " which is welded together and comes in 6' wide rolls, over 6 bucks a square foot.

Keep your ideas coming guys we will figure it out..lol
Hard vinyl sounds kind of like the same thing but in sheets would maybe ask them more about it first.I will say was in a flooring store the other day and the salesman was talking about a product called fuzion flooring said it was made from formica or something like it have no real idea how good it is but maybe something to look into .Also could be was feeding me a line of BS have no clue just thought I would mention it
Also wax on wax off do you not want to be the next karate kid :P
Old 09-14-2019, 11:21 PM

Just thinking here, and not sure you can do it with the concrete that is there and how much you would have to pour over to do it but maybe you can do a polished concrete floor no idea on cost,work ,etc but seen some that look really nice
Old 09-15-2019, 08:02 AM

I see that HD Lino you speak in of in a few higher end house we do. Exercise rooms, laundry etc..
I like it, looks tough as nails.
I'm a wood guy that is being forced to install (lol) that LVP and allthough it is ok for a basement or some commercial situations I don't think that's the flooring for you.
Very brittle, will shatter under load, has flex to it if not glued.
A commercial brand we use that is a glue down is in that $5plus sq.ft. Range my cost.
My vote is the hospital Lino.
Old 09-15-2019, 08:51 AM

He’s talking about solvent resistance, so vinyl is out. I would just clear epoxy over the pine after either sanding or replacing it. Actual two-part epoxy for the solvent resistance.
Old 09-15-2019, 09:06 AM

Can't go back down to concrete?
Old 09-15-2019, 09:20 AM

Default just spitballin' ideas

Consider breaking down your requirements for the flooring and addressing each individually: appearance, resistance to mechanical damage, solvent resistance.
Assuming that your tool boxes and work bench will be stationary fixtures: go with a quality flooring that you like, use rubber matting to distribute the load under the tool boxes and task mats in your workbench area to catch any solvent spray. Replace as necessary.
The interlocked gym flooring tiles are great for supporting concentrated loads and protecting the flooring from damage. Commercial grade rubber backed carpet runner also works for lighter loads. Such as steel gun cabinets on hardwood flooring.
Another important consideration is finding a flooring that provides a visual contrast for locating the tiny components that will eventually find their way off the work bench.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 09-16-2019, 07:39 AM

An option. I have it in my garage. Great stuff and has worn well for 5 years now of heavy toolboxes and woodworking machines rolling around. http://swisstrax.ca/
Old 09-21-2019, 09:17 PM

I had something very similar to this rubberized industrial flooring in my last home's hobby room - seemed to be very durable and easy to clean up.
Old 09-23-2019, 09:16 AM

We decided on a "lino" which is similar to the flooring in Hospitals/ warehouses but a bit more rigid..to stand up to the tool boxes, oils etc... and it matches the flooring my wife picked out which makes her happy...
Old 09-23-2019, 04:43 PM

Industrial grade lino in my gun room.
We took out carpet which swallows spilled lead shot.