Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-10-2019, 07:00 PM

Default Best time of week to ask for hunting permission?

When would be the best time of week to ask for permission. Past couple of years I’ve been going out Sunday afternoons, but I have a day off this week and I’m contemplating heading out. Only thing I’m worried about is not finding the landowners at home during the day. So am I better off heading out during the week or on the weekend?
Old 09-10-2019, 07:16 PM

Best time is June/July when they are done planting. Right now you’re behind almost everyone so don’t be surprised to get a lot of no’s

This time of year evenings are best, catch guys coming in for supper. I hate interrupting but there’s no other time to consistently catch anyone at home. Day of the week doesn’t really matter too much in harvest, unless you’re in the Bible Belt down south then don't bother with Sunday until afternoon.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:39 PM

There is no good time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-10-2019, 08:42 PM

Not every residence is going to be home, just get out and knock on doors. Most of all be respectful to the landowner, that includes fences, gates, livestock, crops and land.
Many of us need to do a better job of that!
Old 09-10-2019, 09:11 PM

Default Sooner the better!

Try opening day ! Good luck
Old 09-10-2019, 09:34 PM

Definitely not when it's raining like hell and the farmer is worried abut getting the crop off.

Grizz
Old 09-10-2019, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pa_of_6 View Post
There is no good time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Probably better you spend a little time and let the guy know you.

Grizz
Old 09-10-2019, 09:53 PM

I don't envy you.
I imagine people are kind of on edge these days when strangers drive into their yards unannounced.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
I don't envy you.
I imagine people are kind of on edge these days when strangers drive into their yards unannounced.
I have had everything from yelling to aggressive dogs let and one gentlemen come out holding a shotgun. I dont blame land owners for being worried, but ya. It sucks asking permission
Old 09-11-2019, 07:58 AM

I have been building relationships with local farmers for 10 yrs, some still don't let me hunt but I have lots of farm land to hunt ,I like droping off meat and talking and visiting them over the summer .never liked asking once hunting season has started ,
Old 09-11-2019, 08:15 AM

Best thing is phone the landowner either at about 6am on opening day or about 1030 the night before. Make sure you have crappy cell service so he can't hear you ask any question. Sorry for that. Seriously though, stop by in August or so as harvest is a ways away. do an inventory on your way into the yard. Look for balers etc and if everything is lined up and parked then they should be around somewhere. If no one is home, leave a note or business card as a lot of folks have security cameras around and it may answer a couple of questions about who was in the yard. Or who's tire tracks were noticed. Don't stop at noon, they're likely having lunch. Wait until 1pm. I would personally not offer anything in regards to services for access. Introduce yourself and offer a handshake as well as introduce why you're there so as the person knows what you're there for. Im not big on people wearing camo clothing etc but to each there own. Ask for rules of the property, wear to park, access points, and if checking in is required or is permission required each time you visit. If successful in the season, share a little or a Xmas bouquet of flowers for the 'farm boss' wife is a good idea.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
I don't envy you.
Recommendation from the RCMP is to note strangers and vehicles, report them and notify neighbors. Could be a tough deal, especially if you look like you're trouble.

Grizz
Old 09-11-2019, 10:55 AM

Before september
Old 09-11-2019, 11:22 AM

I got pretty much whenever I can, summer or fall. Sometimes I am in camo, sometimes blue Jean's. Not sure one way or the other has been better

Only time I don't knock on a door is early morning or supper time. Best time i have found is when a couple of guys are shooting the breeze late morning in the farm yard. Pull in, say hi and start chatting with them. Don't always get a yes, but usually chat them up about game numbers and other places to find permission, which helps narrow down the search, and if you tell a landowner you were talking to "blank" down the road, they usually seem more at ease about permission.

Just my experience though
Old 09-11-2019, 01:13 PM

After the big game season was over last year, I tried to go out and seek some permission to hunt coyotes. I just enjoy being out there and felt it could be a great way to eventually bridge into maybe getting some eventual permission during big game season. I was in the 314 and 212 WMU's, they are pretty busy zones and it seemed like a few ranches own most of the land. I was driving around a old Mazda Truck and I think I had a Salomon jacket with Carhardts on. I definitely didn't have any hunting stuff with me. Just a map, Ihunter and my phone. Some people were quite nice but declined permission, some were shocked I got on their property, even though their gate was open. And some offered the option to potentially get onto a grazing lease. Overall I wasn't very successful but I got to see a bit of country I had only seen from a distance and spent the day out. I always made sure when knocking on doors to try to step away or off the porch, you don't know if it's an elderly person who might answer or a wife or kids and the last thing I want anyone to feel is threatened. If a knock was unanswered or they had locked gates I always left a note with my name, number, email and the reason for my visit. Thinking at least if someone was watching or reported me, they might see the note and understand why I was there or at least give me a call.

I think it all depends on where you are asking. Growing up in Saskatchewan you didn't need permission unless it was posted, but my family members who were farmers would often have goose hunters or deer hunters pull into the yard to ask for permission on opening day, nobody even cared. You might have got the old, stay out of that field but everything else is open but overall it was way different. You probably went out to the truck to see what they already had. That being said, Sask has a whole lot of land and way way less people. What WMU's are you looking at?
Old 09-11-2019, 02:30 PM

Always carry some crown in your truck and knock on doors.