Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-06-2019, 02:31 PM

Bugling in 400 while I was walking in at 0600 this morning. Continued to hear bugles all morn but couldn't make the connection. Saw no other hunters.
Old 09-06-2019, 03:55 PM

Great, thanks for the update!!
good luck to everyone !!
Old 09-07-2019, 12:09 PM

There bugling north of gp. Can't seem to connect yet 8 more days for my hunt

Good luck out there and play safe!
Old 09-07-2019, 01:03 PM

All quiet the other day for me down south. Saw a few but not interested in what I was saying yet.
Old 09-07-2019, 01:18 PM

Bull with 10 cows bugling where I was hunting Aug 28 near Peace River
Old 09-07-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Light bugles, rarely though, in Peace country. My cousin called in a spike and a decent bull on the first day of archery season. Didn’t get a shot on the good one. The bull didn’t seem to be interested in the cow calls, but responded well to bugle. We went out the day before yesterday again to a different spot and all quite.
Didn’t hear any bugles for a while. Found two big bulls on a bald hill at 360 yards. Then a cow came out of the bush and the bigger one took off after her neck forward. The other started galloping, literally the fastest I saw them run, to us once we send a couple of cow calls. He ran into the bush at about 250 yards still running towards us. We haven’t seen or heard him after that. Not sure what changed his mind because I was sure he would get to us in a hurry. Oh well. Still a few days left before the rifle season opens up. Hope we connect until then because the area looks like it will be a gong show and elk will move on day one when all the people show up.

Good luck to all trying!
Old 09-07-2019, 10:08 PM

Had a response to the bugle tonight. Came in from 200 to 100 yards but never saw him.
Old 09-08-2019, 09:45 AM

Default elk

Muzzy, your Peace River bull elk was obviously getting more than his fair share and telling the world.
Old 09-08-2019, 10:59 AM

Big Valley big boys r rockin. Bigger bulls just rounding up ladies.
Old 09-08-2019, 12:11 PM

Got into elk last night in 406. Bulls were still alone or in small bachelor groups. Seemed more interested in responding to my bugles than cow calls.
Old 09-08-2019, 12:34 PM

Founds bulls that you were bugling most of day SW of Calgary yesterday, was somewhat suprised bulls were so vocal as still bit early and it was fairly hot.

As mentioned above, bulls seemed to respond more to bugles than cow calls. They would respond back to bugle good, but didn't really seem either like they were coming in to it much (though I could just be crappy caller to ha). The one nice bull i got within 60-70 yards of was solo, didn't see any cows with him.
Old 09-08-2019, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalewig View Post
Founds bulls that you were bugling most of day SW of Calgary yesterday, was somewhat suprised bulls were so vocal as still bit early and it was fairly hot.

As mentioned above, bulls seemed to respond more to bugles than cow calls. They would respond back to bugle good, but didn't really seem either like they were coming in to it much (though I could just be crappy caller to ha). The one nice bull i got within 60-70 yards of was solo, didn't see any cows with him.
I had the same experience that the bulls would not come in to it much. They stayed bedded until I closed the distance to about 100 yards. Then one got up and took a few steps out, stuck his head down and started munching on some grass. Then turned around back to his bed.
Old 09-08-2019, 02:53 PM

Bulls have been screaming for a week or more now here. Called one in to 15 yds fri eve. No shot...he would not get Into a good shooting lane. He was fired up though
Old 09-10-2019, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalewig View Post

We shot a bull on the 6th, he returned a bugle with us, didn’t get too fired up but was raking a tree. We moved in on him while he was raking making soft cow calls. He had been laying in a wallow all day. Cows were moving around solo / with some spikes. Back out out on the 8th, and In those two days the big bull had rounded up around 120 cows and had 4 other smaller bulls hanging around. We called super aggressively and had him fired up. Got in on them for 3 hours but he kept himself surrounded by cows, and could never quite get a shot. Eventually a bull moose ran right thru and blew the whole herd out. All elk were super vocal. Later on in the evening we located a bull with two cows, and had the perfect spot to setup a Montana decoy. Cow called from behind while I was setup 100 yards out front. He ditched his cows and came in on a string and my buddies were able to move the decoy to direct him perfectly in front of me 18 yards. 2 days, 2 bulls. good luck out there everyone, it’s the best time of the year!
Old 09-10-2019, 10:40 AM

Default 2019 Alberta elk rut

Elk in Saddle Hills on weekend were not very active . Had a bull, bugle in morning very low and only couple of times. Not interested yet.
Old 09-10-2019, 02:38 PM

We checked out quite a few spots down in 304 on the weekend, still quite quiet. mid afternoon we had one bull bugle back but he wouldn't move from his spot. we a few cow calls, he never bugled back either, just the one bugle all weekend!! hopefully this Friday they will be heated up. last year on the 13th, called in my dream bull to about 12 yards, couldn't seal the deal....still upset about it!!
Old 09-11-2019, 07:45 AM
Banned

Seem to be rutting great here north of peers I haven’t called in a bull yet on crown land on my land there going hard couple legal bulls hanging around
Old 09-11-2019, 08:24 AM

I called in a legal bull, spike and cow last weekend from 120 yards to 70 ish but I am a horrible bugler and my third call drove them away and shut them up ahaha. I found using a mixture of cow calls and locational calls worked best with the odd angery bull.

I think they're pre-rut now (just forming the group), IMO believe thanks giving is usually the best weekend.
Old 09-11-2019, 02:05 PM

Hear bulls fighting off in the distance in Kananaskis to far away to pin point. Never heard a bugle all day yesterday. I tried cow calls I tried bugles no response. Fresh wallows and scapes everywhere. Glassed five bulls bedded together one legal bull. They where all within earshot of my calls in the morning and none of them came in. Nothing came in.
Old 09-12-2019, 01:08 PM

Called in a legal bull yesterday as I was heading to my truck to go home after 4 days of hard hunting with zero success. There was a deep slough between us and I stupidly tried moving to get a shot. He blew out hard. He was chuckling just off the road I was walking up. Oops.
Old 09-13-2019, 10:37 PM

Yes Elk on the Prairie Bugle.
Old 09-14-2019, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainaccent View Post
Seem to be rutting great here north of peers I haven’t called in a bull yet on crown land on my land there going hard couple legal bulls hanging around
I’m also hunting north of peers, this weekend has been my first sits as I was working. I have lots of elk on camera but haven’t heard anything, or had any response to calls yet.
Old 09-14-2019, 07:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEyeGardner View Post
I’m also hunting north of peers, this weekend has been my first sits as I was working. I have lots of elk on camera but haven’t heard anything, or had any response to calls yet.
There fired up on the home land now the one 5x6 pushed all the smaller bulls out of my land lots of bulls going hard till 11 am we ended up calling in a few small rag horns north of town nothing of size to get excited about but they are full tilt now
Old 09-14-2019, 08:21 PM
Banned

I was out in 936 hiking couple days ago and thought I'd bugle a bit. It was quiet all day. Was out till sunset and didnt hear anything. Saw lots of fresh track that didnt lead to much.
Old 09-15-2019, 02:59 PM

I have only managed to get out for 3 evenings now for a total of 6 hrs hunting time. I have called in 5 elk, 3 of which were bulls and 1 bull bieng a behemoth 7×7 who would have scored over 370". I had him broadside at 30 yards in the thick timber right at sunset. My arrow was met with a 2" dead tree between me and the bull that I had failed to see due to low light and excitement. That bull now has a name, he is called Lucky. For the remainder of my season I will try to find Lucky and give him a dirt nap. I hope everyone else is having a great season and I wish everyone the best of luck. I hope to introduce the forum to Lucky soon!!
Old 09-15-2019, 05:30 PM

Down south earlier in the week was no go. Raining too hard to hear anything and too foggy to glass anything.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:33 PM

I thought I heard a bugle in 402, but I am pretty sure it was another hunter as there was a truck parked in the distance.
Old 09-21-2019, 01:09 AM

Are they rutted up? They sure are. Went for a couple of hours evening hunt today with my cousin. We didn’t get an elk, but it sure was fun. Hopefully it will get done over this weekend.

When we found the bulls and once, sometime after, I realized the main guy wasn’t going to move, I decided to do a few recordings (not something I usually do). If you are bored and have nothing better to do, have a listen.

This one is some minutes (maybe 20) after we located a bull. We hiked in a few kilometres and sent a location call. The response came right away.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q0gFvecFn3M

When it was obvious that this guy was not willing to move, I decided to close in myself. By now, we knew that there were at least three bulls out there.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3xfhE_jLbiM

We took slightly different angles for our approach and started moving in. My cousin sent a bugle at some point, which you can clearly hear in the video, and I thought it was a mistake but the bulls seemed to be ok with it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iVfv9INoyVE

Just moving closer here, a few more bugles.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4Wd56CPsZTk

The elk keeps going.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oWQferL7lFI

More approach and there is one or two good ones in this one.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qeptUbC9qI4

FYI, the squeaky sound is produced by my boots, which annoys the hell out of me, but never “got me made” yet.

Around this time, the reality started settling in that it would be a long night if something was shot at this hour (10 or so minutes left to hunt). I was about to start moving back when I heard something moving in through the bush and it was moving fast. He went by me in the bush fast and sent a bugle further up the hill. I thought I was made, but a minute or two after another bull moved in the same direction. This one was moving slowly, raking up the bush. I was sure he would pop out right in front of me. He never did. We headed back. Another day tomorrow...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JgTk7h1GJHE

The bull in charge never moved an inch. He was ripping his throat out when we were leaving (I deleted this segment by mistake).
Old 09-21-2019, 05:42 PM

Not sure who's worse, Landowners or Elk.. neither replying to my calls.
Old 09-21-2019, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasc43 View Post
Not sure who's worse, Landowners or Elk.. neither replying to my calls.

Hahaha, thanks!