Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-01-2019, 09:54 AM

Default best hiking poles for sheep hunt

In the market for new ones. If you have any recommendations for a pair around $100, please let me know.
Old 08-01-2019, 11:10 AM

Buy the lightest ones you can for $100
Old 08-01-2019, 11:27 AM

get carbon fiber if you can, less chance it will bend on ya.
Old 08-01-2019, 11:31 AM

Go on "thelasthunt.com"
They usually have great deals if you're patient. You have to wait until they have a combined deal, where you can get up to 50-60% off.
Get some Leki Poles... titanium, mine have lasted 15 years so far
Old 08-01-2019, 04:41 PM

For that price Costco - Cascade Mountain I believe is the brand. Carbon, and Cork handles. About $40. I also have some Black Diamond ones which are better, but they’re also $180.00 and not worth the increased price.
Old 08-01-2019, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJalberta View Post
For that price Costco - Cascade Mountain I believe is the brand. Carbon, and Cork handles. About $40. I also have some Black Diamond ones which are better, but they’re also $180.00 and not worth the increased price.
x2. They're outstanding even after 2 years. If/when they break I'll be taking advantage of Costco's no questions asked return policy and getting a new pair
Old 08-01-2019, 11:55 PM

About 8 years ago I attended the Death Race training camp run by the guy who started the Death Race, at the camp he shared his philosophy on poles. His suggestion was to go with fixed poles, sized about chin height like cross country poles.

Fixed poles are cheaper, weigh less, and are more durable than adjustable poles. The only disadvantage is that if they are strapped to your pack they are going to be less convenient for bushwhacking. That being said, whether running or backpacking I never not use my poles if I decide to take them.

A cross country sized pole allows you to have an extended reach and a longer time where the pole is engaged with the ground than a typical adjustable pole will allow - you can really use your arms. It is also easier to descend and traverse with the extended length and I even prefer long poles on the steep ascents.

Others may have different experiences, but this has worked very well for me running, hiking, and backpacking in mountain terrain.
Old 08-02-2019, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattthegorby View Post
About 8 years ago I attended the Death Race training camp run by the guy who started the Death Race, at the camp he shared his philosophy on poles. His suggestion was to go with fixed poles, sized about chin height like cross country poles.

Fixed poles are cheaper, weigh less, and are more durable than adjustable poles. The only disadvantage is that if they are strapped to your pack they are going to be less convenient for bushwhacking. That being said, whether running or backpacking I never not use my poles if I decide to take them.

A cross country sized pole allows you to have an extended reach and a longer time where the pole is engaged with the ground than a typical adjustable pole will allow - you can really use your arms. It is also easier to descend and traverse with the extended length and I even prefer long poles on the steep ascents.

Others may have different experiences, but this has worked very well for me running, hiking, and backpacking in mountain terrain.
All my ultra light tarp/ tents/ tipi's are designed to use a trekking pole for pitching. Depending on what elevation you camp at sticks are hard to come by. So I always go the extendable route
Old 08-02-2019, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
All my ultra light tarp/ tents/ tipi's are designed to use a trekking pole for pitching. Depending on what elevation you camp at sticks are hard to come by. So I always go the extendable route
That totally makes sense - never thought of that. I usually use a bivy.
Old 08-02-2019, 08:41 AM

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=365162

We have a sale coming up on Aug 21 and we have lots....for example $180 BD's sell for $35-$40....I know there is Black Diamond, Leki and Komperdell's in the bins....men's and women's sizes.....in varying condition and sizes.....

Stop by...........good luck.

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 08-02-2019, 10:44 PM

I use G3 Via Carbon poles. I’ve sheep hunted, backpacked, alpine skied and backcountry skied with the same set for the last 4 years, without issue. In the previous 3 years before that, I went through 3 sets of carbon poles and broke each.

Also, G3 is a Canadian company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-19-2019, 09:18 PM

I use a $100 pair of Black Diamond extendables that have held up surprisingly well. The locks hold tight with a lot of pressure put on them at times.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:43 PM

cut down a fresh pine and make one.
Old 09-19-2019, 06:53 AM

I tried out a new Pair of Leki poles on my most recent sheep hunt they worked fantastic. Check out thelasthunt.com I picked them up for 80 bucks.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:30 PM

Costco bud they are wicked for the price

Old 09-20-2019, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathews z7 View Post
Costco bud they are wicked for the price

I called Costco a couple weeks ago and they said they do not have them in stock in BC, AB, or SK and it is only a seasonal item
Old 09-21-2019, 07:09 AM

I have a pair of Black Diamond poles and my wife has the Costco ones. I used her's on a hike on Sept long weekend and i have to say the Black Diamond poles are far superior.
Old 09-21-2019, 07:48 AM

If you’re around Calgary or okatokes there’s a guy sells hiking camping gear out of his garage. Called gear swap or something. I bought two pairs from him. Under 80$ I think. Great locking. Lightweight. Used one two elk hunts so far. Very happy with them.

Old 09-23-2019, 07:21 PM

And also to note ... remember to use the straps correctly. More than 50% of the people I see using poles do not use them correctly. Only one way to do it ... come up from the bottom of the pole and put your hand thru the open strap loop and then grip the strap against the handle and have the top of the strap loop snug against your the top of your wrist. You can put a lot of pressure on the bottom of the straps without having to grip the poles extremely tight .
Old 09-24-2019, 05:52 AM

Can someone explain to me why any one needs hiking sticks for hunting.
I find it hard enough just to carry a riffle while looking threw your binos.
Old 09-24-2019, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Can someone explain to me why any one needs hiking sticks for hunting.
I find it hard enough just to carry a riffle while looking threw your binos.
I will never hike a foot in the Mountains without my poles especially when your packed up. You are able to take a ton of pressure off your legs when your able to assist with your arms going up hill. I find descending a mountain its even more important to use poles.

Lots of guys hike without poles but I cant see myself every going without.