Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-22-2019, 07:49 PM

Default Calling whitetails in September/October

I've been wondering how I might go about trying to call in a whitetail buck at this time of year. I did a search on the forum and was surprised to find very little on this particular question. Thoughts? Or is this just not something that is done?
Old 09-22-2019, 08:00 PM

This time of year typically you will generally get does and spikers in , the really big bucks typically do not respond until later , but of course there is always the exception!
Cat
Old 09-22-2019, 08:08 PM

Well to be honest I'm only interested in meat anyway. I'd be fine with a spiker.
Old 09-22-2019, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teberle View Post
Well to be honest I'm only interested in meat anyway. I'd be fine with a spiker.
Well then,rattle away!
I have been told that big antlers scare smaller bucks away but I have not witnessed that .
My antlers are on the larger size although not B&C,( about 140’s) but they sound well and have brought in lots of deer over the years.
Small Rayleigh bags and simply light tinkling works well early in the season as well as grunting .
Cat
Old 09-22-2019, 08:55 PM

Ratting antlers can work great right now as the velvet is gone and the bucks are learnin' how to use their new tools with their buddies.

Be subtle and patient... bucks aren't fighting now, just play wrestling....

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 09-23-2019, 09:48 AM

If just looking for meat I would try a fawn in distress call the does for sure would respond I think..bucks maybe not, but one never knows
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 09-23-2019, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
If just looking for meat I would try a fawn in distress call the does for sure would respond I think..bucks maybe not, but one never knows
I'd be doing that, but at the moment it's antlered-only in my area. Come November 1st it'll be a different story. Do you thing a fawn distress call would work during November?
Old 09-23-2019, 08:51 PM

A fawn distress call you may end up with a bunch of coyotes in your lap or other critters with teeth.
Old 09-23-2019, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teberle View Post
I'd be doing that, but at the moment it's antlered-only in my area. Come November 1st it'll be a different story. Do you thing a fawn distress call would work during November?
I think the mothering instinct is always turned on.... As for critters with teeth well an extra bang for your buck.....
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 09-24-2019, 12:21 PM

Had a doe running around in front of my stand last night (no idea what she was running for, back and forth for no good reason), she let out a couple loud bleats. No bucks came in and there are a few around.

I’ve never had any consistent success with deer calls. They spook as often as they investigate. Biggest problem is they will ALWAYS circle down wind to investigate. You better be able to see, and shoot quick
Old 09-24-2019, 11:23 PM

Thanks everyone for the responses. As far as rattling goes, does anyone have anything to say about rattling bags such as this one?

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/10341...k-rattling-bag

And when it comes to grunting, any products to recommend?
Old 09-25-2019, 12:43 AM

I like the duel stretchback grunt tube. Sounds really good compared to others I’ve used and you can imitate big and little bucks by stretching the rubber tube out for a lower sound. As for rattling I’ve used the pack rack with some success but really nothing beats a real set of antlers, just make sure you cut the brow tunes off before the rut kicks in. It’s easier on the fingers when your smashing them together later
Old 09-25-2019, 10:06 AM

real antlers , there is no substitute. I have that same rattle bag and its never proven results compared to a real set. I also have the duel tone grunt tube. works great, have called in several bucks. I dont start calling until last week of October thought, but I don't focus on deer really until then either.

A snort wheeze I find is by far the most effective right now and you only need a mouth to do it. Pretty sure You have one of those already haha
Old 09-25-2019, 01:10 PM

I don't mind the sound of these, I like it better than a rattling bag.
Old 09-27-2019, 08:58 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Act like they do....littl rattling....rub a tree...snap a branch or two....a few grunts...dig a bit at the ground rustling leaves then sit tight.....don't go bonkers.

Little spike was ripping around yesterday like a idiot around my burn barrel...I could send him your way to fill the freezer

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-27-2019, 09:50 AM

I usually don't bother with rattling/calling until later in October. I've heard of a couple guys having luck bringing bucks in earlier in October with a bleat though...
Old 09-27-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_Wagon View Post
I use something very similar -- the compact version.
Nov 12th last year I rattled in a decent WT to 5 yards with it -- he came from behind me and scared the sh*t out of me when he grunted. He died 10 secs later.
Old 09-27-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_Wagon View Post
I have one of these as well. Works decently well, is compact and eliminates pokes from real antlers. I usually pair this with a bleat/snort call.
Old 09-28-2019, 09:19 PM

If you looking for meat, fawn in distess.
Works great on whitetails, works unbelievable crazy on mulies.
Old 09-28-2019, 11:08 PM

You can also try to appeal to a deer's nose with different fragrances. Deer will come to smells. Try fresh cut alfalfa or clover juice, turnip juice, corn juice, anise seed oil, orange blossom essential oil, and a few others. Don't put the scent in one spot as a bait but a few drops along a 20 to 40 yard line cross wind to where you know or think the animals are. It might arouse their food curiosity. Drip the trail, stop, turn around in range of the scented area and watch the downwind side. Be ready. A breeze will carry the scent pretty quick. No breeze might not be as effective.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 09-29-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
You can also try to appeal to a deer's nose with different fragrances. Deer will come to smells. Try fresh cut alfalfa or clover juice, turnip juice, corn juice, anise seed oil, orange blossom essential oil, and a few others. Don't put the scent in one spot as a bait but a few drops along a 20 to 40 yard line cross wind to where you know or think the animals are. It might arouse their food curiosity. Drip the trail, stop, turn around in range of the scented area and watch the downwind side. Be ready. A breeze will carry the scent pretty quick. No breeze might not be as effective.
I think someone needs to read the definition of baiting in the regulations before he/she goes back out into the field

Bait - any substance that consists of a food attractant, including mineral and any representation of a food attractant.
Old 09-29-2019, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith_h_c View Post
I think someone needs to read the definition of baiting in the regulations before he/she goes back out into the field

Bait - any substance that consists of a food attractant, including mineral and any representation of a food attractant.
Point taken. Thank you for clarifying this. I have used this method with doe in heat urine in November. Though these scents I mentioned would work I overlooked that some scents would be considered a food attractant.

From the 2019 hunting regs.
It is unlawful to:
-set out, use or employ any of the following items for the purpose of
hunting big game:

" - bait, except as permitted for the hunting of black bears (page 56),"

There are scents that would not be food attractants. Curiosity scents. A flower essential oils wouldn't be a food, like anise or even Channel No. 5 perfume sparingly. I notice Cabela's even sells curiosity smoke sticks that have apple or honeysuckle as ingredients in them. I wonder how many they sell to Alberta hunters?

I will be more careful of what I suggest in the future. I certainly don't want to misguide anyone. Apologies.

Don't do what I suggested at home kids! or in the bush.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 09-29-2019, 09:47 PM

Guess you missed the “any representation of a food attracted” part in the definition take word for word out of the regs. Just cause they sell something doesn’t make it legal. They sell BB gun you going to tell my your aloud to hunt big game with one next.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:51 AM

Calling deer before the rut. A little ...very little bit of doe sounds will sometimes entice them to come round for a look. They’re very social animals and like to see whose new on the block.