Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-20-2019, 09:20 PM

Default South America- Peru

The wife and I are trying to plan a trip to Peru for next year. Never been to South America before so I was hoping some one who has some experience could maybe give me so pointers. Either by PM or if your local to Calgary maybe meet up for a beer.

Looking at doing a 2 1/2 week trip around Peru. We have a list of things we’d like to see and do but are open to suggestions. Machu Picchu is a must, as is seeing the Amazon. If any one has fishing info I would love to try to fish in the jungle.

Anyways, i’d Appreciate any info or help I could get.
Old 09-21-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff336 View Post
The wife and I are trying to plan a trip to Peru for next year. Never been to South America before so I was hoping some one who has some experience could maybe give me so pointers. Either by PM or if your local to Calgary maybe meet up for a beer.

Looking at doing a 2 1/2 week trip around Peru. We have a list of things we’d like to see and do but are open to suggestions. Machu Picchu is a must, as is seeing the Amazon. If any one has fishing info I would love to try to fish in the jungle.

Anyways, i’d Appreciate any info or help I could get.
I went in April of 2011. Our trip was only 2 weeks and basically to do machu picchu. We acclimatized in Cusco for 2 days at which we starting taking our altitude sickness pills. Keep in mind it tends to make you extra sensitive to sunlight. We decided to spend a day quading and my friend burned the back of her hands. This is the e-mail of the travel agent we used. info@walkingholidaysperu.co.uk.
We didn't prebook anything but I have heard the rules have changed since I have been there.
Also we didn't do the "4 day Inca trail" we did the 5 day salkantey trek which was less people and off the beaten path. We had an absolute blast and the experience was amazing. You can also take the train to agua calientes if you don't want to do the hike.
Old 09-21-2019, 08:42 PM

I was there 5 weeks this past winter, 3 months total I n SA, 2.5 weeks is limited to what you can see it’s a huge country depending how you get around.
Old 09-21-2019, 09:58 PM

Somewhere in the Amazon there is some beautiful big peacock bass and armored catfish. I've seen the shows only.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 09-22-2019, 12:35 AM
Banned

one of my clients came back a few weeks ago from peru. They hired an adventure company that takes a smaller group of people to hike up Machu Picchu.

It's a few days of hiking but the guides carry everything for you. He said the difficulty was a 4 out of 5. If you do the hike vs drive up you'll see a lot more ruins that are off the beaten path and only accessible from hiking.

He mentioned there were 30 sherpas/guides to the 12 hikers. They always beat you to specific destinations so your lunch or dinner was always ready as you got to the next destination.

The pictures were amazing.
Old 09-22-2019, 08:05 AM

We have been to both Peru and Brazil. I add Brazil as this was the Amazon trip into an Eco Village. Peru was specific to see Manchu Picchu. Both trips were booked through adventure companies.

Peru we stayed in Lima for 3 days, flew into Cusco (2 days) and then spent 3 days in the sacred valley before going on to Manchu Picchu (1 day) and returning to Lima (3 days) . As we are older and my wife does not walk all that well we decided against the hike so we did the train. Highlights were the Museums in Lima and Cusco, walking around Lima, the sacred valley - people and ruins, Manchu Picchu and the mountain across (Winna-Picchu (sp)). Watch out on hygiene and take lot's of handy wipes for washrooms (sink handles), cutlery etc. Misses were not staying an extra week and going south to the other ruins (Mud Pyramids). Manchu Picchu can get busy -- when we were there they said there were 5K people on the site and it was not considered to be a busy day.

Brazil - Eco Village -- no power, in the heart of the jungle, unbelievable insects, amphibians, noise, heat and humidity --- would go again in a heart beat.

I would start checking with adventure companies as they can get micro tours of 3 to 5 days that are off the beaten path. ie if you go to Iguazú Falls do you want to stay in 5 star accommodation or a tree top cabin? -- do you want to go to -- Lake Titicaca or the Mud Pyramids. There is more to tour than a person can see in a month.