Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-20-2019, 03:51 PM

Default New dams on the Bow?

Proper water management would be more beneficial than more dams in my opinion.
FHD

https://globalnews.ca/news/5925585/b...nput-sessions/
Old 09-21-2019, 09:28 PM

Ummm... Aren't dams part of "water management" ?
Old 09-23-2019, 10:43 AM

Default Managing discharge with current infrastructure in place

Fair enough.
My point is; Discharge of the water behind the current dams isn't managed properly. I see the water on the Elbow river in town here rise and fall as much as 6" to over a foot within a day with my observations made over the last decade.
The Ghost reservoir, one of the largest in the Bow system that I know of, is or has been badly managed with consistent low water in the past.
The proposal of a Springbank dam is in my opinion, driven by the few that built multi-million dollar houses in a flood plain. I was told that one "resident" of the area "just built a new home" with their wealth after the flood. Now, these same people expect that our tax dollars are spent to protect their choice to be in an area which has been deemed a "flood plain"?
I read this morning that the T'suu Tina are opposed to building the "flood retention" dam. Since their land will be affected, I very much doubt this will go forward and this plan will face years of delay due to this being deemed "Federal Land" owned by the Nation.
Question: Is what has been unofficially reported in the Bow system as less fish per km partly due to water management as above? I think that radical water fluctuations certainly do have an impact. Especially in the fall and spring when the fish look to spawn. One day, a nice redd bed, the next a trickle of flowing water.
I look South at Montana and their Engineers and how they use their wealth of science and experience on The Missouri system.
No huge, one day discharges. Rather, slow, meticulous level fluctuations over the course of the wet season to insure their dams and resulting water bodies behind them are kept as full as possible depending on the season and previous years averages. This allows enough water behind them in the winter to keep the river at a more healthy depth for the fish and those that depend on a well managed system for their livelihood's.

I'm just saying, if the current water managers in Alberta can't monitor and release water in a more structured manner, what are more dams going to do?
They have enough problems mismanaging discharge rates and dealing with what dams that exists now! IMHO.
FHD
Old 09-23-2019, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinhogdaddy View Post
Fair enough.
My point is; Discharge of the water behind the current dams isn't managed properly. I see the water on the Elbow river in town here rise and fall as much as 6" to over a foot within a day with my observations made over the last decade.
The Ghost reservoir, one of the largest in the Bow system that I know of, is or has been badly managed with consistent low water in the past.
The proposal of a Springbank dam is in my opinion, driven by the few that built multi-million dollar houses in a flood plain. I was told that one "resident" of the area "just built a new home" with their wealth after the flood. Now, these same people expect that our tax dollars are spent to protect their choice to be in an area which has been deemed a "flood plain"?
I read this morning that the T'suu Tina are opposed to building the "flood retention" dam. Since their land will be affected, I very much doubt this will go forward and this plan will face years of delay due to this being deemed "Federal Land" owned by the Nation.
Question: Is what has been unofficially reported in the Bow system as less fish per km partly due to water management as above? I think that radical water fluctuations certainly do have an impact. Especially in the fall and spring when the fish look to spawn. One day, a nice redd bed, the next a trickle of flowing water.
I look South at Montana and their Engineers and how they use their wealth of science and experience on The Missouri system.
No huge, one day discharges. Rather, slow, meticulous level fluctuations over the course of the wet season to insure their dams and resulting water bodies behind them are kept as full as possible depending on the season and previous years averages. This allows enough water behind them in the winter to keep the river at a more healthy depth for the fish and those that depend on a well managed system for their livelihood's.

I'm just saying, if the current water managers in Alberta can't monitor and release water in a more structured manner, what are more dams going to do?
They have enough problems mismanaging discharge rates and dealing with what dams that exists now! IMHO.
FHD
You hit the nail on the head!

In the states, they’re tearing down dams, and in Canada we’re building them. The bow is a great example of dam mismanagement, the water fluctuations are ridiculous.

Why spend tax dollars on protecting the do-do’s that have a house on a flood plain. I’m sure they pay extra insurance premiums to live there too, they know the risks. Just a bunch of snobs that don’t give a hoot about our natural resources.
Old 09-23-2019, 02:29 PM

The Natives are opposed. End of story. Seeing as they would be most affected, can't blame them.

Grizz