Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 09-02-2019, 04:11 PM

Default Michele Lakes

Was up there for the first time a couple days ago... Hiked up the Owen Creek trail.
The Goldens seemed a little picky and quite small on average, landed about a dozen with about that number again displaying their amazing ability to spit out hooks.
Anyways, I had expected both lakes to be holding fish but only the lower lake had any life.
I'm curious to hear how my experience stacks up against others who have fished these lakes:
Action level?
Successful flies/lures?
Life in upper lake?

some pics:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0798.jpg (115.4 KB, 206 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0815.jpg (48.0 KB, 233 views)
Old 09-02-2019, 09:27 PM

I saw fry in the outlet stream just below the upper lake when I was there but we didn’t actually catch any there either. I suspect there’s VERY few fish in the upper lake but they should be bigger in size than the lower. All our fish were caught in the lower lake as well, small but very beautiful!
Old 09-03-2019, 09:46 AM

I was up there a couple of years ago. I do remember the Golden trout being a little picky but once we figured out what they were after we didn't have a problem catching them. Ended up focusing on very small terrestrial flies like ants. We didn't bother trying to fish the upper lake when we went because we had heard there wasn't much for fish.

I shared my visit and a lot of pictures here if you want a read:
https://www.stringtheoryangling.ca/m...-alberta-2017/
Old 09-10-2019, 02:28 PM

Thanks for the pics, unfortunately no intel here, haven't been but want to. Curious how long the hike in was and if the trail was well marked or guess work? Thanks again.
Old 09-10-2019, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehrgeiz View Post
Thanks for the pics, unfortunately no intel here, haven't been but want to. Curious how long the hike in was and if the trail was well marked or guess work? Thanks again.
It took us 5.5 hours to hike in. The trail was about as well marked as I expected a back country trail to be... decent amount of flags and inukshuks to reassure you. Can't get lost if you stick to the creek.
Parts of the trail will not be there next spring as erosion takes a toll.

It's a slog! 1000m elevation gain in half a day is no joke
Old 09-11-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck Hippy View Post
It took us 5.5 hours to hike in. The trail was about as well marked as I expected a back country trail to be... decent amount of flags and inukshuks to reassure you. Can't get lost if you stick to the creek.
Parts of the trail will not be there next spring as erosion takes a toll.

It's a slog! 1000m elevation gain in half a day is no joke
Thanks for the info! Sounds like a worthy trip!
Old 09-11-2019, 05:10 PM

Fished there many moons ago so take my info for what it’s worth. Myself and 2 others camped there for 3days

Caught lots of fish in the lower lake not a one in the upper lake not even a bite. If there is fish in the upper there is very few

Humpys and black gnats were the most productive. Water was crystal clear so I watched where they cruzed and just let my fly sit still waiting for a bite. Casting to the fish spooked them and they were not a fan of stripping flies. I did get a few nymph fishing but dries fished still worked best

Fish were not big lots of 10inchers biggest was just shy of 14inches
Old 09-13-2019, 10:11 AM

Default Michele lakes

I was up there 4 years ago and had a great day with plenty of action in the Lower Lake (did not try the upper Lake). Small olive-colored beadhead streamers fished with a dead sink along the steep drop-offs were the order of the day. Not much action near the surface. You can see the photo essay here: http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/...=89991#p673818