Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-16-2019, 08:01 PM

Default Iko shingle quality??

Hey folks. Just wondering what the general consensus is on Iko Cambridge architectural shingles is. Need half my roof done and the guy wants to use them. Might look goofy with one side being 5 year old 3 tab and the other being different.

But big question...are they good quality?
Old 09-16-2019, 08:07 PM

Yes they are good , industry standard
Old 09-16-2019, 08:38 PM

Had them put on my house 7 years ago. Everything looks great. Had the contractor come back this year and do the garage with the same shingles.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:42 PM

They are a good quality shingle. I put them on my house in 2008 when I built (installed myself) and they still look like new. Will be doing my daughter's house this fall sometime.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 09-16-2019, 08:44 PM

Ours are 9 years old and are holding up really well. Purchased the home in May and the inspector had nothing but good things to say about them.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:52 PM

Why do half a roof ?? Check roofmart for price I think the Iko are the cheapest in price I think paid $22 a bundle
Old 09-16-2019, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtank View Post
Why do half a roof ?? Check roofmart for price I think the Iko are the cheapest in price I think paid $22 a bundle
Cant get it done for 2-3 weeks or so. The other shingles are only 5-6 years old. Its a 2 story house with a 8-12 pitch roof and I am getting some one to do it for me.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:30 PM

The only difference is that IKO shingles have glass in them, hard on hands.. We as roofers hated them but they do stand up better.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehunter View Post
Cant get it done for 2-3 weeks or so. The other shingles are only 5-6 years old. Its a 2 story house with a 8-12 pitch roof and I am getting some one to do it for me.
No complaints on the iko from me, as long as you have a good roofer to do the underlay and water &ice and chimney/valleys properly you should be good , with 3 tab they tend to rip and sometime roofer don’t overlap it properly cause it to leaks. , the architectural one are more forgiving and tougher .
Old 09-16-2019, 10:25 PM

was thinking of using those shingles as well but have been looking at GAF shingles that home depot sells. Anyone try the GAF shingles?
Old 09-17-2019, 06:19 PM

Default Iko plant in Calgary.

Support the boys in Ogden. For the 30 years shingles they are the best. All of them are algae resistant as well. Good reps to deal with.
Old 09-18-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
was thinking of using those shingles as well but have been looking at GAF shingles that home depot sells. Anyone try the GAF shingles?
I've went through 2 sets of GAF shingles in 10 years. One of the lower end and this last set of the higher "architectual" style. Biggest problem was them blowing off in high wind. Was told by the latest roofer that GAF is known for poor wind performance. I'm going with rubber this time and hopefully never have to replace this roof again.
Old 09-18-2019, 11:54 AM

Another vote for Iko.

We do probably a thousand multifamily units in a year, 90% of it is Iko roofing products.
Old 09-18-2019, 11:58 AM

I have IKO shingles that had a 30 year warranty on them. I've had them for 20 years. They don't leak or anything, but they don't look great, and I have lost a ton of the little stone bits off the shingles into my gutters. Will they make it to 30 years? Maybe. But they'll look terrible if I leave them that long.

Having said that, I kind of assume that is standard for most brands. I loved the look of them when they were 0 - 15 years old. They did deteriorate pretty quick after that as far as the look of them goes.
Old 09-18-2019, 09:36 PM
Banned

https://youtu.be/XSI1bXx99K0
https://youtu.be/6x8t1O6knAI
Old 09-18-2019, 09:43 PM

My Iko Cambridge shingles are in good shape and they're a decade old.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:41 AM

I had IKO Cambridge 30 yr shingles installed 11 yrs ago. The north exposure half is holding up well. The south exposure half is showing extensive sun damage and will need to be replaced in 4-5 yrs. I'll be using metal roofing next time.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:50 AM

Default Don't get Malarkey shingles

Redid my roof last year with Malarkey's high end shingles. Work done by a certified Malarkey installer. Installer noticed an issue with some of the shingles losing the granules more than normal. He notified the Malarkey rep who took a couple of weeks to check it out. Warranty claim submitted and approval to get it repaired Sept 2018... got a few shingles replaced but still waiting for the job to get completed. Would not put Malarkey shingles on another roof if they were free. Product may be ok but not impressed with their service at all.
Old 09-23-2019, 12:55 AM

I had IKO 25 year shingles installed several yrs ago & had to replace at 16 yrs. I was choked. I've reviewed several and all seem to have had troubles over the years. Will not go IKO ever again.
Old 09-23-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dweb View Post
Yes they are good , industry standard
Modern shingles are crap, the real waterproofing comes from that high tech under layment they demand. Seen enough that never survived the warranty period, then good luck trying to collect.

Grizz
Old 09-23-2019, 04:57 PM

From what I have seen Pabco are the best but are harder to get not sure if any one in Alberta supplies them any more, pretty much all other brands have had issues of one kind or another and reinvent them selves every few years with something that is supposed to be better. Some thing that many don't look at which may cause premature lose of shingle life is poor ventilation.
Old 09-23-2019, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidderman View Post
I had IKO 25 year shingles installed several yrs ago & had to replace at 16 yrs. I was choked. I've reviewed several and all seem to have had troubles over the years. Will not go IKO ever again.
prorated warranty , and you are not getting it because its a bunch of hoops you have to jump thru, and i think the labour is on top. as for the life of the shingle alot of it has to do with the proper ventilation and color choice. i find the light color last longer, i had solid black ones before they peel bad on the southwest side and i switch to 2 tone gray they seem to stay flat its about 12 years now