Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-05-2022, 11:52 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetwaiter View Post
How did nobody else see this? This isn’t an international incident with the RCMP going all cowboy, it’s the county sherrif and the city police having a jurisdictional dispute.

There’s not enough information here to make any determination about what the Canadian officer and ATF were looking for.

Sounds about right, there seems to be more to this then what this document put out, we will never know nor find out but we can toss around a few thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-05-2022, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
The politics between a city pd, sheriffs and ATF aside, Canadian police were working with the ATF and responsible to the ATF. The buck stops with the ATF.
Not if the atf notified the agency with primary jurisdiction and someone didn’t like that they were left out. You need to spend a bit of time around sheriffs to get a feel for their attitude towards other law enforcement. Isn’t it an election year too??
Old 10-05-2022, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
True enough. It's embarrassing but it's not the fault of any Canadian police institution. They were a unit in an operation that was led by the ATF. The ATF failed to pass this on to the local police and supervise the operation. Thats where the problem lies.........with the ATF. Most of the comments here are so way off they are laughable. We tell the government to leave us law abiding firearms owners alone and go after the smugglers. Well that is what was going on.
Jumping on exaggerated news has folks on here laughing at those that do it… unless it fits there confirmation bias.

I’m all for roasting stupidity. But Canada and the RCMP did nothing wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Hmm reading the report it says they (atf) notified the great falls police department. The sheriff claimed the pd has no jurisdiction in the fair grounds, which are entirely within the limits of the city of great falls. Generally sheriffs do not handle city calls as they have their own police and focus on county calls. Sounds like a sheriff upset he was left in the dark and now claiming he controls something that his office would generally avoid.
Wish all the information came out at once so these “reporter” can’t invent news.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 10-05-2022, 05:20 PM

Well, I'll chime in on this.

Without knowing what the "Operational Plan" actually was with this alleged joint initiative, I will not comment on it. One thing for sure it did not come from K Division(Alberta). Cross border stuff comes from Ottawa.

But I will comment about the alleged LPS involvement. I don't get how they would be involved. Usually, any cross border investigations are the RCMP responsibility, not a local Municipal Police Dept like Lethbridge.

We are not getting the entire story here boys and girls...and I will leave it at that...
Old 10-05-2022, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post
Well, I'll chime in on this.

Without knowing what the "Operational Plan" actually was with this alleged joint initiative, I will not comment on it. One thing for sure it did not come from K Division(Alberta). Cross border stuff comes from Ottawa.

But I will comment about the alleged LPS involvement. I don't get how they would be involved. Usually, any cross border investigations are the RCMP responsibility, not a local Municipal Police Dept like Lethbridge.

We are not getting the entire story here boys and girls...and I will leave it at that...
Could be that the LPS officer was seconded to the RCMP for the Op.
Old 10-05-2022, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
I haven't been there in a decade or more since we can't buy reloading components.All they had was Snappy's and Sportsman Haus .
5/6 years ago. Right around same time Sportsman moved to their new building, maybe shortly after.