Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 08-26-2023, 08:56 AM

Default Prairie Creek

Hello everyone I was just fishing on the "miracle mile" section of Prairie a few weeks ago. Managed to catch a few browns but they where all in the 6-8 inch range. Did not see evidence of anything larger. Is this the typical size for this area?

Also I did try and fish higher up on Prairie by the provincial recreation area but had to leave because the river silted up from groups of quads running through it. Are you allow to drive your quad across the creek in that location?

Anyway had a really nice time down there, first unguided browns I've had on the fly. Started this year on the North Raven with my brother and that was nothing but discouraging haha. This river in comparison seemed to be a paradise. Ample casting room, rising fish, easy walking.

Thanks
Nicholas
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20230812_213728.jpg (28.8 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20230812_210339.jpg (59.3 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20230813_095553.jpg (66.2 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20230812_200758.jpg (34.5 KB, 155 views)
Old 08-26-2023, 03:25 PM

What kinda flys were you using? Sometimes when you throw on a streamer, the bigger fish begin to magically appear. If all I’m catching on dry dropper is small guys, I’ll change to a deep nymph rig or streamers. That often brings in the larger fish.

Last edited by orvisman; 08-26-2023 at 03:36 PM.
Old 08-27-2023, 08:29 AM

I'll give that try next time. My only question about that technique is how do you keep your streamer close to but not right on that nasty timber?

Nick
Old 08-27-2023, 02:57 PM

Something to consider;

Bigger fish layup in their holes at the slightest provocation. That often means that you literally sneak in on a prospective piece of water. From that stealthy approach, you start casting close, gradually extending range to cover the water. When I dryfly, I need an indicator, which is typically a white tuft on the fly. It must drift with the current, without any tension. That often implies short drifts delivered with accurate casts, and line placed to account for current. While all this is going on, I’m concentrating on the next piece of water, looking for risers and a stealthy approach. Big fish don’t splash on the bite.

As the season cools, hatches tend to compress in time, and regularity. Be at your target location during that time. It may be the only feeding slot for larger fish who insanely gorge on the rise.

Muddied water, turn it into an advantage. That’s where a light coloured streamer can be seen by a fish who is maybe a bit hungry caused by the silt. As the water clears, move toward darker colours.

I’m pumped to be heading to my favourite river next week. At this time of year, the hatch happens at 2pm, lasting about 15 minutes. The biggest challenge will be other fishers and their wondering around, putting big fish down.
Old 08-27-2023, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swabs24 View Post
I'll give that try next time. My only question about that technique is how do you keep your streamer close to but not right on that nasty timber?

Nick
You can cast just upstream of the pool and let the fly float in, then strip it back to you. Personally I would go to a field and practice casting at targets. The more accurate you become, the less chance of getting caught up in the timber.

Last edited by orvisman; 08-27-2023 at 03:51 PM.