Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-14-2017, 03:04 PM

Default Newbie question about distance

Ok, pumped for my son, 19 and drew a moose tag where Bow is allowed Sept 1 to Oct 31st. Then rifle till Nov 30th. Kid is practicing like a mad man with the compound bow and doing real good to 20 yrds. Time to stretch it out a bit Not even thinking about long distance shots but whats a good increment level? Go up by 5 yards to 25 next or jump right up to 10 yards farther?

From the threads and articles I have read, I'm guessing 30 to 35 yrds is about the max for a newbie to try a shot if he is hitting targets consistently at that range?(and if the best possible shot presents itself in the field) Or is that too far for a newbie archer? You all here have years of experience and I look forward to your opinions.

Thanks, he is new to archery and I just want him to do it right. So excited to be calling moose for him.
Old 08-14-2017, 03:16 PM

Personal max distance for bow shot for us is 30 yds. Just know shot will count at that distance and less room for error. If shooting consistently at 20 yds, try 25 and then 30. If still getting really good groups, you should feel pretty confident at these distances for hunting. If you're planning to hunt from a tree stand, practice those angle shots from above too. Don't forget to factor in the adrenalin that will be pumping thru your system when you see that first animal in your sights. That can make all kinds of practice go haywire!!
Old 08-14-2017, 03:27 PM
Banned

My rule of thumb is to practice at twice the distance you will want to hunt at. I was on holidays a couple of weeks ago and I practiced out to 80 yards. I'm shooting dessert plate groups at 60 yards, dinner plate at 80. Nothing to brag about. But at 40 yards I can shoot softball sized groups and they just keep getting smaller the closer in I get. I would prefer to shoot 30 or under but my confidence is up to shoot up tp 50 yards if I just couldn't get any closer, situational shot of course.
Old 08-14-2017, 03:35 PM

Something to keep in mind on moose. Never intentially put an arrow above the midline, too many new hunters aim high on moose because of the hump. 1/3-1/2 is perfect.

LC
Old 08-14-2017, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Something to keep in mind on moose. Never intentially put an arrow above the midline, too many new hunters aim high on moose because of the hump. 1/3-1/2 is perfect.

LC
This is good advice. I never even thought of that.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:40 PM

Ethical kill. That's what he needs to remember. If he is only comfortable at 20 yards then he shouldn't be shooting at anything farther out than that. My personal max distance is 30-35 yards as well like arrow dog. I shoot out to 50-60 yards whenever I can to practice but feel most comfortable at 30-35 yards when coming up to an animal. I know at that yardage I will make an ethical kill shot.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:05 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow dog View Post
Personal max distance for bow shot for us is 30 yds. Just know shot will count at that distance and less room for error. If shooting consistently at 20 yds, try 25 and then 30. If still getting really good groups, you should feel pretty confident at these distances for hunting. If you're planning to hunt from a tree stand, practice those angle shots from above too. Don't forget to factor in the adrenalin that will be pumping thru your system when you see that first animal in your sights. That can make all kinds of practice go haywire!!
Exactly, my son, Robin Hood could place an arrow in the eye of a snake at 50 yards and then a 140 inch buck was standing broadside at 20 yards...first arrow went over top...noise from arrow behind the buck scared it in closer, second arrow at 10 yards ended his first archery buck hunt....yahoooo...
Shoot lots, myself 30 is my good to go limit, practice yardage estimating, that and knocking an arrow, drawing, picking a small area and releasing should all be second nature until then your just guessing and hoping...

Luv watching a guy bring up a rangefinder at a 15 yard critter....

Good luck!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-08-2017, 11:50 AM

Well the kid has been doing great. Out to 40 yrds now, hitting good groups on the paper plate at that distance. Could be out on Sunday for a walk about if the weather don't get too hot. Bit early for the rut but it can't hurt to have a look see.

Got to check trail cam videos too. Exciting times for the newbie archer and his dad the moose caller
Old 09-08-2017, 12:24 PM

tell your son to have a few judo heads in his quiver and practice on ruff grouse with a licence and season open of course . also guess ranges and practice in the field well out scouting .