Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-25-2017, 07:17 AM

Default Sako finnlight

Thinking of getting a sako fin light in 30-06? Those who have them , want do you think of them ? Pros and con. Some say problem ejections. How would it compare to my sako classic av 30-06 I got now? I'm looking for a lighter gun than my classic
Old 05-25-2017, 08:34 AM

I have one in 270, and love it!
Never had a problem with it, accurate and feels better than 99% of factory tupperware stocks.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:22 AM

I have a finnlight in 30-06. Have had no mechanical or operational problems with it. Nice and light for this old guy humping it up and down the foothills.

That light weight does have drawbacks. Kicked a little more than I liked (previous main big game rifle was a Browning A-bolt in .270, also a light rifle). So I put on a limbsaver and now it's fine.

I think it has a five shot MOA guarantee. I've NEVER been able to get that (the 5 shot part), but it's not a bad shooter. Decent, not tack driver. Can get 3 shot MOA with the right ammo. Good enough for me. Maybe part of it is the light weight, or the fluted barrel.

Not sure if I'd do it again if I had to do over though. I paid a premium for a Sako, but it isn't one iota more accurate than my Browning. I liked the features (nice solid, metal mag system, bolt release while safety is on, very smooth action) and it was at a time where I felt like I wanted to "reward" myself, so I paid an extra grand for a rifle that, strictly for hunting, doesn't do anything more or better than my Browning or my son's Vanguard.

As for the "tupperware stock" comparison, I sort of feel like it DOES have a Tupperware stock. I've yet to be able to find a description of what it is actually made out of, but it feels more rubbery. I've been thinking perhaps I could get more accuracy out of it if I went to a really solid custom stock. But then I'm not a really long shot sort of guy, so would getting an extra 1/4 MOA really have any real world impact when all your shots are generally under 200 yards? And the current stock does fit me well.

But there is nothing at all "wrong" with the rifle. If you want a lighter 30-06, go for it.

Last edited by Okotokian; 05-25-2017 at 09:34 AM.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:36 AM

I really love my 30-06 finnlight. Mostly comparing it to my x-bolt. Both shot well, but the mechanical feel of the two could not be further apart. The Sako is super smooth and crisp. Is it needed in a hunting rifle...no but is it awesome.....hell ya!

Just got the wife a 25-06 stainless T3 and damn that thing isn't far off the feel of a finnlight for what it's worth.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:38 AM

Default Sako 85 Blackbear

I don't have the Finnlight, but I have the Sako 85 Black Bear in a 30-06. It has the similar fluted barrel and stay accurate after multiple rapid shots!
Old 05-25-2017, 11:12 AM

Default Scope mounts

THanks guys, now for the mounts. Planning on going with the leu pole cx3i 3.5x10x40 with cds. Does the opti lock rings and bases do a better job than the Leopold rings?
Old 05-25-2017, 11:21 AM

I have the sake fanlight in 300wsm and love the gun! it is my beater bush gun that is all scratched from branches and gets muddy on my quad and has been threw all weather and it just keeps working for me. The trigger is adjustable and i have it down to the lowest it will go which is real nice and makes it shot that much better, i think its around the 2lbs mark! never had a single issue with mine once and as far as accuracy it is awesome! i reload for it and have a group that shoots 1/2" at 200yards so i have no complaints with that either. With the light gun the recoil is there but that isn't a problem to me. For ur question about the scope bases and rings i would deff go with the optiocks! i did not go with them to begin with because wholesale told me to get the leupold ones when i purchased the rifle and i fought with the bases and rings for a while to get them tight enough and to stay and not move around at all from the guns recoil, sense then i put the optilocks on it and i have not had another issue once with it even with the rattling around on a quad or banging aorund in a case it has never left zero in 4 years!! in my opinion worth the money to get the optilocks!
Old 05-25-2017, 11:22 AM

what he said. Get the rings and bases made for it. I've never had any issue with mine, and you have a nice choice of heights.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfie bullet View Post
THanks guys, now for the mounts. Planning on going with the leu pole cx3i 3.5x10x40 with cds. Does the opti lock rings and bases do a better job than the Leopold rings?

Leupold sako rings work fine.

I prefer the 1-piece sako ringmounts. They are well built, made of actual stainless, have the spherical bushing to eliminate any scope torque and secure directly to the integral base.

Don't confuse the ringmounts with the typical sako optilocks you see in most stores that use a separate base.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfie bullet View Post
I have the same scope, (duplex) on a Sako finnlight, 2506, mounted with leupold rings, fine set up,
Sako ring mounts, rather than optic locks, a lot lighter.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:10 PM
Banned

Beautiful action but spending that kind of money on a rifle with a Molded stock is ridiculous
Old 05-25-2017, 07:36 PM

I liked the one I had, but I just don't see why they cost twice as much as a Tikka T3X or a Kimber Hunter. If you like it, buy it used and you will always be able to get your money back if you don't beat it all to hell.

Last edited by sns2; 05-25-2017 at 07:50 PM.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:47 PM

I've had a few finnlight and back to another in a 270win. Love them. Very accurate and function flawlessly for me. I personally like the stocks and they fit me very well. I always use the the one piece ringmounts for them and they work great.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:29 PM

Had one in 308. It was handy and light. I sold it because it had the stupid ejection problems when mounting a low scope. Unacceptable for a gun that pricey.

The same scope mounted extra low on a T3 is flawless. Personally I think sakos are overrated.