Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-24-2017, 04:36 PM

Default Duracoat Aerosol, Endura coat 2K and the like

I recently was out at the range and noticed that a small amount of surface rust had begun to develop on my blued mossberg patriot. I have read that these rifles are something of a rust magnet and that the finish on them are more prone to rusting than other similar products. I can only speculate if this a problem on all of these rifles or if this was just a one time event, but it got me thinking about changing the finish on the metal.

I have done some research on my options and armacoat is one that often comes up. I am looking at some other options, however, ones that I can do at home. Duracoat aerosol and Endura coat come recommended by some, and I like that they are both easy to apply ( no more difficult than a spray paint) and air dry, so don't require a ton of special tools.

When looking at these, I have been unable to find good solid advice for how to tape off or block the openings in the receiver. The barrel i can plug with foam ear plugs, but the larger holes I am unsure of what to use. Frogtape? playdoh? I am open to suggestions.

This is new to me, and I am undecided what my final plan will be, but am definitely leaning towards these options, since they are relatively easy to apply but offer a harder and more durable finish with more corrosion resistance, or so it seems.

Any tips, tricks, suggestions, etc... are welcome.

Thanks,

M
Old 05-24-2017, 04:48 PM

I use arma-coat,they say it will not build up on parts but I usally only do the bolt and inside the reciever with enough to just cover,it is a little sticky at first but eventually wears in with some oil and a little use.Sometimes I mask the inside of reciever with masking tape and make sure it is stuck good under scope base screw holes.
I have never used endura on a gun but it is tuff paint(I have used it on vehicles and industrial equipment).Might work good if you can keep it thin.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:22 PM

Thinking the op was talking about Duracoat. I tried endura once on a rifle out of curiosity but it was way too thick of a product. The only two holes you need to plug are the ones in the barrel. I bought a plug kit from cerakote which works great. You can coat the rest of the gun, if you apply it correctly it should only be 1-2 thou thick. Try not to go heavy on the ID of the receiver.
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 05-24-2017, 09:58 PM

I had a remington sps. I hated the ugly finish. I sold it but had I kept it I would have had it stripped down and properly hot blued. To me paint and guns don't mix. I guess it's whatever floats one's boat.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:17 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone,

To clarify a little, Endura was recommended to me as a locally available alternative to Duracoat, and one that can be done at home with few specialty tools.

I am a little skeptical of going for Endura if it is going to be too thick, but i may contact the company and ask their opinion for keeping the thickness down.

I can appreciate opinions on painting rifles in general, and comparisons between stainless, blued and cerakote, etc.... can keep going on forever, and of course to each their own. I don't mind the look of duracoat and it's cousins on rifles.

I got in touch with Flys etc... in High River, who can order in the duracoat aerosol, and the company that bought black cat coatings no longer carries duracoat. If anyone knows of anywhere else to check for duracoat, please let me know.

Also, looking at armacoat, has anyone used the stage 1 kits, where no spray gun is required? what are your thoughts
Old 05-26-2017, 08:47 AM

I painted a couple of barrels with Enduracoat (will try to find a pic) ...and will do some more this summer because it serves the purpose (rust protection), is relatively straightforward to apply, is inexpensive, and available locally in custom color mixes.
I applied about three very light coats, but as Rob mentioned, it does build up enough to hide etching. I did not paint any actions. Both barrels are CM. NOTE: I am just a hobby type, with no paint related skills.
I roughed up the barrel with sandpaper. I de-greased with soap and warm water...them rinsed. Aerosol application with barrels suspended vertical so I could turn them.
After waiting 3 weeks cure time, I reinstalled one of the barrels and got a very faint "shine" in the matte where the barrel vise was tightened for the instal.
EDIT: You should be aware that the Enduracoat can be chipped...it is a coating.

Last edited by 260 Rem; 05-26-2017 at 09:06 AM.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:08 AM

Pic of the barrels done with enduracoat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-26-2017, 02:01 PM

give armacoat a call he's got those preval aerosol sprayer kits, just mix your coating and it sprays like an aerosol. His product seems as good as duracoat.
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 05-30-2017, 09:11 PM

Thanks for all the replies and those photos were good to see also.

I have a little more planning and research to do before i make a final call on how to get more corrosion resistance. If anyone thinks of anything else to add or has suggestions on what to do, please do not hesitate to let me know what you think

-M