Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-24-2017, 12:49 PM
Banned

Default Rem 541s

can anyone tell me how to properly set the trigger housing locking screw on a Rem 541s? It's the one that sets the angle of the trigger housing to receiver. I don't understand what it does.
Old 05-24-2017, 01:13 PM

This link should help you a lot. If you are talking a different screw than the three for adjusting the trigger let me know exactly which one you are referring to.

http://www.snipercountry.com/Article...onTriggers.asp

Detailed PDF of Trigger parts.

https://www.remington.com/sites/defa...%2010-1980.pdf

Last edited by Dean2; 05-24-2017 at 01:32 PM.
Old 05-24-2017, 03:17 PM
Banned

It's the screw in the extreme forward [towards muzzle] of the trigger housing. Not any of the three adjusting screws for weight, pull, and over travel. It's the set screw that goes through the housing and bottoms into a blind indent into the receiver. It changes the angle relationship of the entire trigger assembly as it relates to the receiver.
Old 05-24-2017, 04:14 PM

It should be snug so the trigger housing is pushed tight against the receiver ( back against receiver )so as sear properly engages cocking piece . They are generally staked in place from the factory
Old 05-24-2017, 07:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fps plus View Post
It should be snug so the trigger housing is pushed tight against the receiver ( back against receiver )so as sear properly engages cocking piece . They are generally staked in place from the factory
If you snug the screw it pushes the housing away from the receiver? I think the bolt drags if the housing is against the receiver. [memory] If it were a matter of having the housing snug then you would think the receiver would be threaded. I have lost track over the years where it was but did read somewhere a guy checked his un altered 541 and it was about 1/16 in. from housing. I have set mine so there is no bolt drag but have no idea if this is correct.

On a schematic it's called the "housing locking screw". Just google Rem 541 trigger. Thanks
Old 05-24-2017, 07:03 PM
Banned

Default CALLE teglio

Quote:
Originally Posted by fps plus View Post
If you snug the screw it pushes the housing away from the receiver? I think the bolt drags if the housing is against the receiver. [memory] If it were a matter of having the housing snug then you would think the receiver would be threaded. I have lost track over the years where it was but did read somewhere a guy checked his un altered 541 and it was about 1/16 in. from housing. I have set mine so there is no bolt drag but have no idea if this is correct.

On a schematic it's called the "housing locking screw". Just google Rem 541 trigger. Thanks
Old 05-24-2017, 07:25 PM

It sounds like the sear spring sear and trigger are not in the proper position They are a bit tricky to get everything in the right position
Old 05-24-2017, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigstone View Post

If you are trying to adjust the actual housing lock screw then the correct way to set the trigger is to have this set FIRST, then adjust the trigger pull, over travel and sear engagement. To set the lock screw turn it in until it is just snug on the action, then turn it in 1/8th turn at a time till you get drag on the bolt. As soon as there is drag on the bolt, turn it back out 1/8th turn and leave it there. This is designed to get the sear in proper alignment with the cocking lug on the bolt. Set wrong you will get draggy bolt or failure to engage on cocking or slam fires.

Do not adjust the set screw further in than 5/32 clearance of the trigger housing to the action, even if you don't get trigger drag (which is highly unlikely). The normal setting on most 541s will have it at 1/32 to 5/64ths.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:42 AM
Banned

Thanks everyone. I talked to a fellow in the states last night and learned that the idea is to adjust the screw until the trigger housing is snug at the back where it touches the receiver. This point puts everything in proper position. If you have bolt drag then slightly grind top of sear until drag stops or if drag isn't bad just ignore it. Thanks again.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigstone View Post
Thanks everyone. I talked to a fellow in the states last night and learned that the idea is to adjust the screw until the trigger housing is snug at the back where it touches the receiver. This point puts everything in proper position. If you have bolt drag then slightly grind top of sear until drag stops or if drag isn't bad just ignore it. Thanks again.
Your guy in the states in incorrect!!!. You NEVER grind the sear. The whole point of the lock adjusting screw is to get a proper fit WITHOUT having to do that non-sense. The adjustment process I gave you is the correct way to set the trigger housing clearing. Ignore it if you want but for God's sake DO NOT GRIND THE SEAR!!!!
Old 05-25-2017, 03:39 PM

I agree you do Not want to be grinding . I think you should have it looked at by a profession .
Old 05-25-2017, 06:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Your guy in the states in incorrect!!!. You NEVER grind the sear. The whole point of the lock adjusting screw is to get a proper fit WITHOUT having to do that non-sense. The adjustment process I gave you is the correct way to set the trigger housing clearing. Ignore it if you want but for God's sake DO NOT GRIND THE SEAR!!!!
Grind the sear????????? I've "touched" a sear with a stone. Grinding must come from a tin shack in the backwoods of Mississippi.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
Grind the sear????????? I've "touched" a sear with a stone. Grinding must come from a tin shack in the backwoods of Mississippi.
Before you all have a heart attack, you grind the top of the cocking sear if it sits too high when the housing is set. That would be obvious to anyone who knows what a 541 is.Trigger adjustments are independent of the housing position.

"My guy" happens to be one of the half dozen greatest rimfire smiths in America with several world record rifles to his credit. Took his advice and everything is perfect!

Many times the housing position will not correct the high sear.

Thanks to all who offered advice.

Last edited by Bigstone; 05-25-2017 at 08:29 PM. Reason: more info