Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-22-2017, 11:07 PM

Smile "Off grid" question!

Hey all, hope you've had a good May long!!

We have the opportunity to move a mobile home onto a piece of land we own that is undeveloped, but we don't have the funds to install a sewer system or run power/solar at this time.

Please note that we have small children (2 & under), as that may make a difference?

Wondering about anyone's experience and/regulation regarding running a mobile home off a generator full time with propane and wood heat.
Also wondering about using an outhouse full time (we have no issue with it) and having only a grey water holding tank and no septic tank.

Thanks in advance for any tips, advice or resources!
Old 05-23-2017, 06:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesipow View Post
Hey all, hope you've had a good May long!!

We have the opportunity to move a mobile home onto a piece of land we own that is undeveloped, but we don't have the funds to install a sewer system or run power/solar at this time.

Please note that we have small children (2 & under), as that may make a difference?

Wondering about anyone's experience and/regulation regarding running a mobile home off a generator full time with propane and wood heat.
Also wondering about using an outhouse full time (we have no issue with it) and having only a grey water holding tank and no septic tank.

Thanks in advance for any tips, advice or resources!
It's going to depend on where your mobile home is. If near a water body, you may have an issue with an outhouse. Look into solar panels with a generator backup. Store your solar output with batteries, use low voltage LED's for most of your power. You really only need 120 for your washing machine, furnace motor, and a few appliances. There are 12V and 24V alternatives, but they are expensive. Calculate exactly what you need for power, and go from there.

I'm going through that exercise right now. I have no idea what I will end up with yet, but solar is cheap right now, and if you vent your batteries to the outside, you can get away with lead/acid to start. I will probably end up with a solar array that can be adjusted depending on sun angle, an auxiliary 750 watt wind turbine, and a back up small generator for emergencies. I hope to design in a manner that I would never have to use the generator. I do not plan on being on the grid at all for electric power.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:05 AM

Thanks for the reply! Solar is definitely a goal, but just to get out there ( we have a lot of work to do) we are trying to use what we have. Once we moved we will have a bit of cash to put towards ungrading power supply as we will no longer be paying rent in town.
I heard about a grant or something for solar too I'll be looking into
Old 05-23-2017, 08:34 AM

check with your county. Most have very specific requirements.

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)
Old 05-25-2017, 10:18 AM

For the outhouse idea try looking into composting toilets.

http://natureshead.net
Old 05-28-2017, 11:22 AM

If you have more than 10 acres you can use tank and pump out onto ground, buy smallest tank as pumped out anyway, will not cost to much if you know someone with backhoe. I installed system for couple grand few years back that included a field. You will help the trees grow fast and give you lots of shade.

Tags
generator, off-grid, outhouse, septic, sewer