Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-30-2017, 09:44 PM

Default Reloading savings

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone who reloads 9mm has an actual per round cost for their own rounds? I'm considering taking up reloadi g because I've been spending a fortune shooting, but want to know the real deal on savings. If I know myself I'll enjoy learning, and the process once I get it down but am reluctant to invest in the gear without knowing the savings so I can pitch it to my wife!
Thanks in advance,
Old 03-30-2017, 10:03 PM

I just started reloading about a month ago. Can't say I've seen any reloading savings yet as there is a lot of equipment involved but over time the savings will come. Plus for me knowing what your shooting is also a good piece of mind. I haven't got into loading for hand gun cartridges I reload for my rifles which I want to get superb accuracy from. Lots of time spent researching and reading different reviews on each piece of equipment but worth it in the end.

Found this link on a different thread. Show it to the wife. Hopefully it helps with her decision.

https://x-reload.com/load-cost/?SID=...pa3nvi5de0k3u2

DR
Old 03-30-2017, 10:42 PM

Default You save more reloading rifle.

For my 9mm reloads not including equipment, tumbler media, case lube and so on.
Wasp once shot brass, Campro copper plated bullets, Titegroup powder and Remington small pistol primers.
Comes out to 26.5 cents a round.
If you have a free supply of brass you would be looking at 18.5 cents a round.
You could maybe cut costs a little more by casting and powder coating your own bullets but that's more time and equipment plus probably not as healthy for you.
Blaster brass case factory ammo is usually about 32 cents a round so you'll save
5.5-13.5 cents a round.
You can find cheaper ammo around to but if you want to justify reloading you have to show your wife the most expensive 9mm ammo you can buy.
Old 03-31-2017, 04:46 AM

If you have lots of 9mm brass, the only real cost will be bullets. If you buy lead cast bullets in bulk, you'll save big. At about 7gr. of powder per rnd. you'll get something like 1000 rnds. per lb. There's not a whole lot of equipment to buy for handgun reloading. Get a Lee press and a set of Lee dies, lube kit, scale, funnel, caliper, and away you go. And a tumbler. Have fun.
Old 03-31-2017, 02:29 PM

Thanks for all the great info. It appears to me it would be worth a try if I can find used equipment.
Old 03-31-2017, 02:51 PM

You never save money reloading. You shoot that much more
Old 03-31-2017, 03:01 PM

But you have pride and confidence in your ammo
Old 03-31-2017, 05:28 PM

If you've already got the brass, and you buy your components in 1000's or better you can crank out rounds for between $0.20 & $0.23, per cartridge.

Cheapest loaded ammo I've found online is about $0.31 to $0.33 per cartridge.

That's with GST factored in.

Tooling up well that's another kettle of fish.......

But let's just say spending 3 to 4 week nights(3-4hours each) turning out pistol ammo on a single stage press, to then expend that ammo in a few hours or less at the range is indeed a bit of a punch in the gonads.

There are no absolutes
Old 03-31-2017, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyRick View Post
Or you'll keep on buying reloading equipment...
Old 03-31-2017, 07:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
Or you'll keep on buying reloading equipment...
Avid reloaders are like goldfish, a 5 second attention span. Oh! a castle.....Oh! a castle....Oh! a castle. Except for us, it's Oh! a new bullet....Oh! a new bullet. Or...Oh! a new powder.

I just fell into that trap with the new Sierra "tipped" match kings. Same as the old match kings except for the polymer tip, slightly better BC. Well, I just gotta try them. It never ends. But it's tons of fun. Savings?...now that's funny
Old 04-01-2017, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyRick View Post
Shooting more is good. Not saving isn't.

I spent some time looking at reloading supplies yesterday. Jeez! I'm wondering if I should just buy a .22lr hg.
Old 04-01-2017, 08:39 AM

I don't shoot a lot of handgun, so I just load on my single stage press. If I did shoot thousands of rounds of 9mm per year, I would go with a fully progressive press. It would take longer to pay for itself, but the time savings would be worth it to me. It just wouldn't be worth it to me to spend several hours every week using a single stage press, to shoot once per week.
Old 04-01-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrant View Post
Shooting more is good. Not saving isn't.

I spent some time looking at reloading supplies yesterday. Jeez! I'm wondering if I should just buy a .22lr hg.
IMHO, every HG shooter should also have a similar HG in 22LR.

A 22LR shot cost is similar to a CF primer and requires no labor.
IMHE, regular practice using both 22LR and CF cartridges will help to avoid flinch development.

The savings in ammo cost will pay for a 22LR pistol in surprisingly few range viisits,
and certainly much quicker than the payback of reloading equipment costs and labor,
(but I suggest doing both eventually).

Both pistol and loading tool costs are a lasting investment that remains (and often appreciates) long after the 'bang' of usage has been consumed.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 04-01-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwert View Post
IMHO, every HG shooter should also have a similar HG in 22LR.

A 22LR shot cost is similar to a CF primer and requires no labor.
IMHE, regular practice using both 22LR and CF cartridges will help to avoid flinch development.

The savings in ammo cost will pay for a 22LR pistol in surprisingly few range viisits,
and certainly much quicker than the payback of reloading equipment costs and labor,
(but I suggest doing both eventually).

Both pistol and loading tool costs are a lasting investment that remains (and often appreciates) long after the 'bang' of usage has been consumed.

Good Luck, YMMV.
I've heard of hg's that can be converted back and forth from 9mm to 22lr. Any ideas which make and model? That seems like an ideal route to me. Or would that be recommended over 2 seperate hgs?
Old 04-01-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
I've heard of hg's that can be converted back and forth from 9mm to 22lr. Any ideas which make and model? That seems like an ideal route to me. Or would that be recommended over 2 seperate hgs?
Some of the Sig's and IIRC the Colt 1911 can be as well
Cat
Old 04-01-2017, 11:49 AM
Banned

Quote:

If i were to do again i would purchase this.
https://www.wolverinesupplies.com/Pr...stable-Sights-
Old 04-01-2017, 11:53 AM

Cat is correct. I have a sig.226 with the conversion slide and it works better than greased loon crap. Also have seen various 1911 slide conversions. Just a heads up your can buy a good .22 with similar ergonomic for a little more than what you pay for a slide.
Old 04-01-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Several brand and aftermarket conversion kits are available.
Most provide additional barrels, slides and magazines designed to be used with a single lower frame assembly.
One benefit is that conversions only require one registration (as the serial number is on the lower assembly), and this can be of great benefit in a jurisdiction that limits the number of firearms that may be possessed. Another benefit is that the trigger force and feel will be the same with both calibers.

A major downside of conversion kits is that their cost is most often much higher than the cost of a complete additional pistol, and simultaneous use is not nearly as convenient. The cost of a complete GSG 1911-22 pistol (~$400) is only slightly higher than a GSG 1911-22 conversion kit for a 1911-45.
A major malfunction can mean your range visit is finished,
having 2 complete pistols allows you to continue, and also for you to shoot one while your friend shoots the other beside you.

I like to alternate pistols by firing two magazines of 22LR then one magazine of CF (and repeat). I most often do 2x22LR > 1x9mm > 2x22LR > 1x45acp = 58 shots, then repeat, (a typical range visit is 200-300 rds, you do the math to compare ammo cost with using a single caliber). All are Browning/1911 pattern pistols which use similar control locations, function procedures and a single holster.

I always suggest that a GSG 1911-22 should be the first pistol purchased, as they are relatively inexpensive to buy (~$400),
and to shoot the VERY large number of shots required to learn proper technique and sight picture and to build muscle memory.
Once this is done, transitioning to a heavier recoiling caliber is relatively easy and does not require nearly as many shots to maintain proficiency.
If you start with any 1911-22 (or a Ruger MKxxx 22/45), you will probably favor advancing to a similar 1911-9mm (cheap to shoot)(Norinco NP29) or any other 1911-45 (more expensive ammo).

There are MANY reasons that the 1911 pattern pistols are so popular and well regarded.

Good Luck, YMMV.