Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 01-22-2015, 07:38 AM

Default Both Eyes Open

I tried this the other day and man it made a difference!

I was just watching some hunting videos and i saw a guy do this... i thought "thats crazy.... ". But i figured I'd give it a try. Half expecting my arrow to go into oblivion, it was quite accurate.

it's definitely something to get use to... but i can see a lot of benefits in doing this. For one it gives much better field of view and i feel like i can actually watch my target. It also helps with the whole "conscience mind and subconscious mind" communicate and everything feels more natural.

Another benefit is following my arrow. For the first time i actually watched my arrow all the way to the target. I kept losing it after every shot and was very frustrating.

Also its MUCH easier on the eyes! Maybe it's just me, but after shooting for a while peeping through the site and focusing with one eye, my eyes would be killing me. And was a bit difficult to focus normally after. With both eyes open, it was much more comfortable.

This my experience anyway. It's probably a very common bit of information that all archers know lol. But i just discovered it and thought I'd share.

Do you do this?
Old 01-22-2015, 07:49 AM

Yes! I shoot everything with both eyes open rifle, shotgun, handgun, bow. It definitely gives you a better field of view and certain things that are in your peripheral you will see! Once you get used to it, it becomes second nature.

LC
Old 01-22-2015, 07:59 AM

Have always shot with both eyes open...try to coach or instruct shooters to do the same...most can do it unless they have ambidextrous dominant eyes ...meaning both eyes are almost equal and left eye for a RH shooter is fighting right eye for dominance...this is where a peep is really needed...

I dont use a peep but have no issues with dominant eye or my left eye open...

if you think about it ...closing one eye is a bad deal for hunting as your losing 50% of your peripheral vision...

We have had great success on instructing shooters to shoot with both eyes open even if they shot for years closing one eye...

The exceptions are left handed-left eye dominat shooting right eye-right handed...and those that have "ambidextrous" vision and shooting with no peep...They are usually usually convinced to use the peep but still shoot both eyes open...

Then there is the rare... but more than most think...a right hand shooter with left eye dominance...again a peep is a must!

Neil
Old 01-22-2015, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post

Then there is the rare... but more than most think...a right hand shooter with left eye dominance...again a peep is a must!

Neil
This isn't true in all cases, I am left handed right eye dominant and I use a no peep.... A peep isn't a must. I installed a peep in my target bow AND use a no peep . Is your mind blown yet

I have trained my eye and brain since I started shooting to do this.

LC
Old 01-22-2015, 10:08 AM
Banned

Depends how many drinks I've had.... too many targets are no good!
Old 01-22-2015, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
This isn't true in all cases, I am left handed right eye dominant and I use a no peep.... A peep isn't a must. I installed a peep in my target bow AND use a no peep . Is your mind blown yet

I have trained my eye and brain since I started shooting to do this.

LC

Ya but yer weird and using a no peep..ha haaaa...In theory !!

Neil
Old 01-22-2015, 11:06 AM

I always close one eye even had to wear a patch when I was a kid maybe it is better now might have to try it out with eyes wide open... no peep tried it but didn't like it... found the pins become too blurry I will stick with what im doing
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff

Last edited by backyard; 01-22-2015 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:27 AM

have always had both eyes open, since day 2 on learning to shoot a bow.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:51 PM

I learned to shoot with both eyes open, actually i never really ever thought about it that much.....i wish i could shoot with no peep but my eyesight requires me to use a clarifier peep.....my son who is left eye dominate and right handed cannot shoot with both eyes open at all.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:06 PM

Wish I could but I'm one of those right handers with a dominant left eye, but even trying to shoot left I get kind of a double image as my right eye fights my left eye. I don't use a peep, I have an Anchor sight and it works quite well.
Old 01-24-2015, 03:03 PM

I shoot with both eyes open because of the added depth perception while making the shot.

You do gain a better field of view and more accurate perspective while shooting rifle with both eyes open.

At the end of the day, you will ALWAYS shoot better with what you are more comfortable with.
Old 01-24-2015, 05:26 PM

Unfortunately I am left eye dominant, and very strongly right handed. Therefore I shoot with one eye closed. I know my accuracy probably suffers a bit, but I'm used to it, and I shoot good enough for my liking!