Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-06-2014, 11:34 PM

Default Custom coyote finishing.

I'm considering having someone finish my coyotes for me. I was wondering what it should cost. I found a guy who will flesh, wash and stretch for $15. He wants 25 to do whole frozen coyotes which seems steep to me.

Do you guys mark your pelts in any way? Maybe I worry too much but I wouldn't want my pelts switched for lesser quality. I don't know this guy so I'm a little leery.
Old 12-07-2014, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFNG View Post
I'm considering having someone finish my coyotes for me. I was wondering what it should cost. I found a guy who will flesh, wash and stretch for $15. He wants 25 to do whole frozen coyotes which seems steep to me.

Do you guys mark your pelts in any way? Maybe I worry too much but I wouldn't want my pelts switched for lesser quality. I don't know this guy so I'm a little leery.
20$ skinned fleshed washed sewn stretched and combed till there's not one hair out of place. Take a leather hole punch and punch a place in the ear that only you know about. I use to do a lot of custom and tags or metal clips in the ears would rip out in the washing machine. Anything cheaper go for it. Snared coyotes are nice to do do your looking at 15 to 18. We did a lot of dogs for fur buyers for 15 and I tell you it's not worth it. Some you spend an hour sewing up.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:04 AM

I am paying $12 when I skin them myself. $18 in the whole. We will see what they look like when I pick them up this next week. Some of the sewing he did for me there is no way I would do it for that price
Old 12-07-2014, 10:40 AM

As I expected, his prices are a little high. I was wondering about numbered tags through the nose. Those shouldn't rip out. Anybody try that?

Can anyone reccomend a trustworthy guy near Lloydminster?
Old 12-07-2014, 11:40 AM

The guy doing mine said it takes him 7 min to flesh a yote. Then the time to washe and board it and sew the odd hole. I would think easily he should do 3-4 an hr and that would be the min. That is $36 an hr if he only does 3 so I think that is more than fair for $12. Any more than that it is steep for sure. It is nasty work working on dogs though and I have enjoyed my time with the family as it would take me a lot longer to do one.
Old 12-07-2014, 11:51 AM

That's the thing it takes me forever to flesh one and by the time I'm done it probably needs a hole or two sewed up. It's a skill and is one I will learn but I've caught way more than expected and I fell behind during deer season. I can keep up on the skinning mostly.

Living in Lloyd you get used to traveling to get the things you need. I may have to consider traveling a bit to have them done.

Is your guy looking for more work or have you managed to swamp him?
Old 12-07-2014, 02:17 PM

TFNG, I know a coupla the boys from the Ribstone colony who do/did it for me. Just texted the one, he's charging $12....skin, flesh, wash and stretch.
Old 12-07-2014, 03:07 PM

Ribstonr colony is probably your best bet as those boys do a pile or use to do alot
Old 12-07-2014, 03:51 PM

Just to add there is not exactly a shortage of coyotes to do. I know a lot that go half and half. They say you had all the fun shooting them we have to do the work. I had a customer drive 2 hours with coyotes how he found me or my number he didn't say but I joking told him 22$ and he jumped on the back and started unloading dogs. He avg 102$ on the nafa sale with 12 dogs as high as 144 $. He thought it was a smoking deal. Got a 60 pounder as a bonus

Last edited by coy coyote; 12-07-2014 at 03:52 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-07-2014, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coy coyote View Post
Just to add there is not exactly a shortage of coyotes to do. I know a lot that go half and half. They say you had all the fun shooting them we have to do the work. I had a customer drive 2 hours with coyotes how he found me or my number he didn't say but I joking told him 22$ and he jumped on the back and started unloading dogs. He avg 102$ on the nafa sale with 12 dogs as high as 144 $. He thought it was a smoking deal. Got a 60 pounder as a bonus
So true coy. I sure wouldn't do it for twelve bucks if I hadn't caught it. Seems like a great deal. I'm out setting up another bait now so hopefully this deal will go through lol

Pm sent to Bushmaster
Old 12-07-2014, 10:56 PM

I am having the same concern. I just cut the tip of the ear off just to have something done for Id. I am trying a different skinner this year at another colony. They want $20 and more cash if there is a lot of sewing. My old skinner raised his price from $15 to $17. But I did get my yotes back he had a good tagging system with names. My current guy is busy at the colony so his skinning time is minimal. This other fellow got a top lot award at nafa last year so he is doing something right. So after the long preamble I am gonna make an ear punch. One that cuts the tip and part of the ear off in a shape. I will post a pick when done.
Old 12-07-2014, 11:14 PM
AO Sponsor

A good man can skin a coyote in 5 minutes easy.
A good man can flesh a coyote in 5 minutes easy.
Stretching is minor, seconds to stretch and maybe a minute in turning and brushing.
15 minutes a coyote max? For snared and clean shot. It's a $10 job. A little washing and a little sewing should add a couple bucks more.

However if some idiot likes to blow coyotes up with large calibers or with violent lightning fast ammo, then he should be selling his coyotes in market as blown up ugly coyotes. Never put much effort custom skinning blown up filth, do the end user a favour and let him buy his blown in half coyote for $25! Yes give a few minutes for a few extra bucks but do the system a favour and don't spend an hour sewing a coyote unless it's yours. Take care of the guys that take care to care about this industry but the fly by nighters that come and go with every market shift that Could really care less about the resource or market players... Well ya, not much sympathy! Not nice to over repair a coyote that somebody who doesn't care about the industry and hurt the end user in the process, the hand that feeds us. The coyotes that would take n hour to sew, the end user really doesn't want to buy those, they are garbage and extremely hard for the end user to work with. Most end users that end up reluctantly buying these types of coyotes cut up the good 1/4 or 1/2 of the coyote that is left and throw the rest away as they are too time consuming to work with. These are even damage terminologies... 1/4 coyote, half coyote, 3/4 coyote, but it costs them the same to tan a 1/4 coyote (which is a horribly damaged coyote, only 1/4 useable) or a 1/2 coyote as it does to tan a good coyote, making th 1/4 useable fur by expensive.

Anyways, 10 to 12 bucks for the whole job is fair. $20 constitutes rape. 1/2 for putting up a coyote is criminal!

A real good man can skin a coyote in under 3 minutes. A real good man can flesh coyotes on a beam in 3 minutes if he knows what he is doing. Most custom skinners are extremely good at what they do.

Last edited by Marty S; 12-07-2014 at 11:24 PM.
Old 12-08-2014, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
Stretching is minor, seconds to stretch and maybe a minute in turning and brushing.
15 minutes a coyote max? For snared and clean shot. It's a $10 job. A little washing and a little sewing should add a couple bucks more.

However if some idiot likes to blow coyotes up with large calibers or with violent lightning fast ammo, then he should be selling his coyotes in market as blown up ugly coyotes. Never put much effort custom skinning blown up filth, do the end user a favour and let him buy his blown in half coyote for $25! Yes give a few minutes for a few extra bucks but do the system a favour and don't spend an hour sewing a coyote unless it's yours. Take care of the guys that take care to care about this industry but the fly by nighters that come and go with every market shift that Could really care less about the resource or market players... Well ya, not much sympathy! Not nice to over repair a coyote that somebody who doesn't care about the industry and hurt the end user in the process, the hand that feeds us. The coyotes that would take n hour to sew, the end user really doesn't want to buy those, they are garbage and extremely hard for the end user to work with. Most end users that end up reluctantly buying these types of coyotes cut up the good 1/4 or 1/2 of the coyote that is left and throw the rest away as they are too time consuming to work with. These are even damage terminologies... 1/4 coyote, half coyote, 3/4 coyote, but it costs them the same to tan a 1/4 coyote (which is a horribly damaged coyote, only 1/4 useable) or a 1/2 coyote as it does to tan a good coyote, making th 1/4 useable fur by expensive.

Anyways, 10 to 12 bucks for the whole job is fair. $20 constitutes rape. 1/2 for putting up a coyote is criminal!

A real good man can skin a coyote in under 3 minutes. A real good man can flesh coyotes on a beam in 3 minutes if he knows what he is doing. Most custom skinners are extremely good at what they do.

True enough. The next time Hutterites drop coyotes off at your depot you tell them these exact words. Lol I know a lot that do. But I've never seen a skinner begging for work. It's the other way another. I'll admit Some nights I ll make over 90 an hour doing it . Yes my costumers know that but what are they going to do sell them whole for 20,. Pretty cool when someone with a grade nine education makes that kind of coin. Rant over. Bill the guy with the top lot coyote he's right off of the rosebud hi way. That's the only one with a 700 coyote in the area. He's not going to do any himself. He's playing middle man. He ll pay a kid 12$ and keep the rest . But I guess that's your business
Old 12-08-2014, 06:07 AM

it was always so awkward,embarrassing and kind of sad. watching people bring heavily sewn pelts and garbage to the buyer. and expecting to market them.

can see that its a sore point with marty aswell.

not sure why people would even do it to there own fur.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:28 AM
Banned

I give my guy half and am happy to do so...........used to skin them stinking things, but won't anymore. just shoot 'em, drop 'em off, and go lookin for some more!
Old 12-08-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Rant over. Bill the guy with the top lot coyote he's right off of the rosebud hi way. That's the only one with a 700 coyote in the area. He's not going to do any himself. He's playing middle man. He ll pay a kid 12$ and keep the rest . But I guess that's your business
Coy you know exactly what is going on. I kinda figured that was the deal. My family knows him and his dad really well. I expected a bit of pocket padding but if he is paying $12 and keeping the rest I won't be happy. Of course none of the boys were around. Also most custom skinners around here have increased rates. Some are $18 others are $20. But I'd rather have a good job done than a crappy one or my yotes do the old switch-a-roo. But there is no way I will be harvesting a yote with a larger caliber and then pay $20 to skin and sew to get $10. Not only is that not ethical it doesn't make economic sense.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post

I have never understood how an animal can be done that fast. Takes me 3 hours to do a coyote! Which is probably why i dont bother trapping them.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:12 AM

I always figured I spent a solid hr to do mine. It still takes me 12 min just to skin one. After I wash dry and primp it's an hr for me. I would pay $12 for the fleshing and washing and stretching but any more than that I think is robbery. These guys that do a lot of them are doing half a dozen or so in an hr and that is a lot of money they are making. Wish I got paid that much at my normal day job or even close to that.
Old 12-08-2014, 11:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill9044 View Post
But I'd rather have a good job done than a crappy one or my yotes do the old switch-a-roo. But there is no way I will be harvesting a yote with a larger caliber and then pay $20 to skin and sew to get $10. Not only is that not ethical it doesn't make economic sense.
My perspective as an inexperienced, first season Trapper.....

I agree with this. It also takes me about an hour to put up one coyote from start to finish but when I'm done I'm sure that it's the best job that I can do. I doubt that a custom skinner would take the time to flesh a pelt as well as I do.

These guys that can flesh a coyote in 3 minutes, what quality of fleshing (sewing if required) are they doing? Is it just good enough to turn in or is it a quality job that'll get you the most money for your pelts? Does the pelt sound like paper or like cardboard?

If I was going to get someone to do my dogs, I would rather pay an extra $5 to get the full value (or as close to it) for the pelt. It doesn't make sense to me to pay someone to turn a $100 pelt into a $50 pelt and pay him for it. After paying the guy $15 you'd make $35 instead of $80 for a $20 job. I could be wrong but I think that sometimes you get what you pay for and spending an extra $5 might be a better option.

WRT pelt quality. From a recent NAFA newsletter:

"The upcoming season will again discriminate against early caught, damaged and low grade pelts. They will either be unsaleable or be sold at very unattractive price levels."

Early caught coyotes is a no brainer IMO, although you won't get all experienced Trappers to agree on it, but it seems to me that experienced Trappers all have their own opinion/standard as to what constitutes too damaged/low grade to turn in. Some will be okay with turning in a $40 pelt while someone else will say that they wouldn't turn it in because it's less than perfect. I suppose that it's something that I will have to learn and form my own opinion on. I only have 2 dogs out of 21 that are damaged, one I ripped the belly on and sewed, and one that has damage to the leather on it's butt. Both are fully primed, beautiful pelts other than that. As a new Trapper I have no idea what their value at auction is and I'll learn from what I receive for them and chalk it up as being part of the learning curve.

Last edited by HunterDave; 12-08-2014 at 11:34 AM.
Old 12-08-2014, 11:55 AM

Fleshing you take it down to the hide how much more do you want to flesh. The quality of your fur is what counts for 80 percent of your dog. What I realized is at most trapping clinics they teach a person the hardest way of fleshing.
Old 12-08-2014, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Fleshing you take it down to the hide how much more do you want to flesh. The quality of your fur is what counts for 80 percent of your dog. What I realized is at most trapping clinics they teach a person the hardest way of fleshing.
Would you care to elaborate on fleshing the easy way? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFNG View Post
Would you care to elaborate on fleshing the easy way? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.
Me too.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:45 PM
AO Sponsor

He might not want to put it out there. Sounds like he has em lining up.

Just save your money, lots of guys to learn from. Even in my old, has been, crippled state, there's no way on earth that I would ever pay a guy $20 bucks to put up a coyote, unless my arms were cut off. Or my head

Before I used a winch I would skin coyotes regular in 3 minutes. The winch slows you down to 5 minutes but it doesn't get sore or tired. Beam fleshing was about 3.5 minutes for me I think. Depended on the coyote. Fatty coyotes, easy to flesh but more to take off, lean coyotes dry and difficult. I think I even did 3 minute coyotes on the beam when I was stupid and drew towards myself.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:17 PM

From what I've seen a beam that you drape your hide onto and flesh down is the most a.. backwards system there is. Very single coyote skinner I know that is good at what he does uses a post and slips the coyote onto a 8 inch post at a angle against the wall and fleshes from head to tail while rotating the post and coyote with the knee. People spend more time positioning and repositioning and repositioning coyotes on a beam then fleshing. Marty posts at 3.5 fleshing. Most guys post here are 7 mins to an hour. You want to use more muscle then brain. Go right ahead
Old 12-08-2014, 07:52 PM

I know Marty and trust what he says.He has snared and processed more coyotes than the next ten yote men together have. JMHO
Old 12-08-2014, 08:28 PM

No doubt. He posts 3.5 to flesh. Yet nobody realize there's an easier way to do it than how they are doing it. If I post there's an easier way it's called bull. maybe Marty could tells us how he does it so quick. Quick means he's found an easy way to do it. I doubt he ll show you his way. Neither will I. Same as trapping he ll how you how but not his hi producing set. People show the basics it's up to you to fine tune it and be efficient
Old 12-08-2014, 08:47 PM

geez... I can't find someone in my area to buy a whole SNARED coyote for more than 25$ let alone find someone to skin and flesh for 15$ and I get th dog back..

I talked to a few guys who would pay 25$ and they get to keep it.

I could see if I shot them, but they are snared adult dogs in prime
Old 12-08-2014, 09:02 PM

$20 to skin a coyote. Ha I would be a rich man $12 to skin and wash and flesh and Stretch is fair after all it only takes 4to5 Minutes to skin same to flesh and a few Seconds to Stretch
Old 12-08-2014, 09:15 PM

Ha ha my buddy skinner.
New youd rollin in sooner or later and trip on your big head
Old 12-08-2014, 11:50 PM

On a happier note I've got it lined up to have my coyotes ready for auction. I sent a few to Ribstone and a local trapper is helping me out with a few.

The local was nice enough to give me an afternoon of help and showed me a couple and coached me through a couple.

He uses a system similar to what Coy Coyote describes except it's a 4 inch dia. piece of pvc. It works well for him, his knife is considerably duller than what I have. You will have arms and shoulders like Popeye if you do a big number of coyotes. I'm not a huge guy so I found it easier wedge on the floor more like a conventional beam. This allowed me to use my body weight, and still maintain the benefit of not having to reposition frequently. The biggest thing I took away is that beam shape is critical.

A job is worth what people will pay!, this is Alberta after all. If Coy is turning people away because he's too busy, good for him.

I'm pretty cheap and hope to make a little extra spending money on my coyotes so I'm on budget and got a great deal thanks to Bushmaster.

Edit- I re-read coys post and sounds like he does it the way I found more comfortable. I found it difficult to pull down and towards myself.

Last edited by Tfng; 12-08-2014 at 11:59 PM.