Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-05-2014, 05:18 PM

Default my snaring system

Had to build some snares last night and took some pictures. This system has been around for ages and I found it works very well for me. I can set these snares in under 20 seconds a snare. Two wraps around the desired tree a couple twists and set you height and your done. Adding the swivels to my #9 wire. http:// can built a swivel with this setup tohttp://
Old 12-05-2014, 05:21 PM

Finished snare with death blow cam and breakaway.http://
Old 12-05-2014, 06:37 PM

Pretty slick looking setup coy , are those the 265# breakaways from Marty ? And do they work ?
Old 12-05-2014, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Pretty slick looking setup coy , are those the 265# breakaways from Marty ? And do they work ?
Just an s hook 265 not sure who's brand bought these from an American supplier. I'd love a 365# but these work too well at times. Lol I find the more dogs I take out of an area the more deer move back in. The 265 are a little light sometime. If your snare fouls or you catch a big old male that acts like a dog on a leash and hes caught deep. He will open it.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coy coyote View Post
Just an s hook 265 not sure who's brand bought these from an American supplier. I'd love a 365# but these work too well at times. Lol I find the more dogs I take out of an area the more deer move back in. The 265 are a little light sometime. If your snare fouls or you catch a big old male that acts like a dog on a leash and hes caught deep. He will open it.
Cool...so do you use an extension? Is the only thing between your snare and the anchor that thick wire?
Old 12-05-2014, 11:57 PM
Gone Hunting

What is that machine? Sorta looks like a rope maker but not exactly like the ones I've seen.

That would be real handy round a snare workshop.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-06-2014, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post
Cool...so do you use an extension? Is the only thing between your snare and the anchor that thick wire?
No extension. That's the whole snare. The thick wire ties to the anchor. Keg. It's a rig that my grandfather used in the tin smith shop to crimp the bottom of tin pails to the sides of the pails together. I just welded a rod to the side to build swivels.
Old 12-08-2014, 04:48 PM

That is a wicked set up I have been making all my wolf snares like yours for a couple of years now they are easy and fast
Old 12-08-2014, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROAD HAMMER View Post
That is a wicked set up I have been making all my wolf snares like yours for a couple of years now they are easy and fast
You bet. How long does it take you to set up your snare. A few seconds? I bet there's some #9 wire what I have reused 10 times. There's nothing that can go work unless it gets kinked over hard
Old 12-08-2014, 08:59 PM

How are you tieing off the #9 or what are you anchoring to.seems to me when a dog is on the fight in a snare hes gunna kink back raight were the #9 is anchored to your anchore.just not sure with your aplication weather its willow runs and the dog is getting tangled up in the willows to take the pressure off the anchore point or your dealing with open country dogs and full impart when they hit the end of the snare and all the shock goes back to your anchore point.
Old 12-09-2014, 03:58 AM

Anything I can find. Popular saplings ,willows, barb wire, posts and spruce trees. I called my uncle and he said he's called an Alaskan wolf snare. I know that he's been using the same system since it was legal to snare. I have been for the last 21 years. Heres some pics. This is one tied to a sapling http://
Old 12-09-2014, 05:10 AM

Thats a very neat pic,that dog sure worked that sapling a long ways up,cant believe that coyote didnt break off,spin off or chew off that sapling.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:41 AM

Out of all my coyotes caught I had two swollen heads from coyotes that had been snared before and they pulled it tight and just sat there. Heres one from last night. http://
Old 12-09-2014, 05:47 AM

A 58 pound coyote from last night. My snare caught him across the ears and right behind the jaw http://
Old 12-09-2014, 06:47 AM

Congrats on that dog wow thats a giant coyote.
Like shooting a 200" whitetail buck.
Takes a lot of dogs to find a 58 pounder