Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-03-2014, 09:30 PM
Banned

Default QUAD or sled

Thought I'd post this in the trapping section...

I do all of my hunting from nov deer
Then coyote and fox and rabbit dec and on

Now with our recent weather (lack of snow until now), and the seasons that I hunt what would you guys reccomend I buy a quad or a sled?

I've done all of my hunting by foot until now as I get older I think I'm going to want soemthing to get me close to the area I want to predator call instead of walk 30 min then to the next spot

Opinions?
Old 12-03-2014, 09:34 PM

What about a quad , and get the tracks for when the snow is deeper ? Still have 12 months of use with one toy !
Old 12-03-2014, 09:55 PM

I use my honda 400 for trapping and calling. Easy to hide when doing a set. Got some mudders on it go thru anything if I don't get hung up. Probably not as loud as sled.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfish View Post
What about a quad , and get the tracks for when the snow is deeper ? Still have 12 months of use with one toy !

Good call, but I have no interest in quadding for leisure all just for my
Trapping and hunting so it's all from fall-winter
Old 12-03-2014, 10:08 PM
Banned

I like the idea tho just get tracks
Old 12-03-2014, 10:40 PM

I'd just get both. Instead of buying a brand new quad and 4 grand worth of tracks buy a good used quad and sled. Take your time and wait until you find the right one. That's what I would do if budget is an issue.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:29 PM
Banned

I'd get a quad if I could only have one or the other. Most Novembers there isn't enough snow around here to use a sled. I've used my quad in January and I got around pretty good. Buy a quad, shoot a bunch of coyotes and buy a used sled with the money.
Old 12-04-2014, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
I'd just get both. Instead of buying a brand new quad and 4 grand worth of tracks buy a good used quad and sled. Take your time and wait until you find the right one. That's what I would do if budget is an issue.
X2
I sounds to me like you will use a sled for a tool not high marking. You can find cheap used sleds guys want to upgrade.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
X3 quads are nearly useless when the snow gets deeper.
Old 12-04-2014, 04:12 PM

I would say get both. The snowmobile will burn more fuel but if you get a longer track, the smoother ride on rough trails makes up for it.
Old 12-07-2014, 05:36 PM

Personally I'd pick up a quad and a sled. From my experience as a mechanic and a big ATV guy for your purposes I recommend a mid-late 2000's Honda with a solid rear axle. You can pick one up for less than 1/2 the cost of a new one now a-days. Plus as we all know anything Honda is bullet proof. Sleds on the other hand are a bit tricky, as they really like to break down IME. Personally I would stick to somewhere around the 600cc engine size. In the perfect world I'd say pick up a new 4 stroke Honda sled, but those are pricey new and used. For a good bargain look into the RMK line of Polaris. Pre-warning, when/if you pick up a used sled take it to a qualified mechanic or a reputable shop and have them replace the belt, rebuild the carb's, inspect the clutch and do a compression test. Nothing worse than breaking down in the snow.

I ride a 2013 Polaris, all year long for rec and hunting. I will admit right now that I had absolutely no issues riding it while pulling my game sled this year. Last season was a different story. I got it high centered twice on the solid deep compact snow. Each time it took me approx 15 min to dig it out by hand, more of a nuisance than a real issue.

Whatever you decide to pick up treat it well. Do your regular maintenance. Take care of your machine and it will take care of you!!!
Old 12-07-2014, 09:43 PM

Default Honda sled

What honda sled are you speaking of?!
Old 12-07-2014, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonedocks View Post
What honda sled are you speaking of?!
I wondered the same thing.

I'd also like to add that last year when we had a big melt and the snow got icy and patchy I had a lot of trouble keeping my liquid cooled snow machine cool. I'd like to have a fan cooled machine for when snow conditions are poor.
Old 12-07-2014, 11:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFNG View Post
X3 quads are nearly useless when the snow gets deeper.
Yes, but sleds are useless when there's no snow, which would have been until a week ago around here when we got that storm. It wouldn't have done you any good to own a sled here during November deer hunting season.

I don't know where the OP lives but around here you couldn't go everywhere that you want to from November until March with one or the other.
Old 12-08-2014, 12:35 AM

Sled or Quad? Neither. Save up for a Hexapod. Snow or no snow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftV2HeKPeBM

Or A Military grade Big Dog and hook up a toboggan to it in winter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHJJQ0zNNOM

(Maybe not affordable but look like they would go anywhere snow or not. Looks like fun and low impact to land.)
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets