Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-03-2014, 09:17 PM

Default Need some ideas

Hi guys. I have a quandary. I am running long coyote lines in southern Saskatchewan and am ok until the deep drifting snow comes. I have to use a truck to run the lines. Each is 65-75 miles long. I have to pull a heavy trailer loaded with bait. All my lines are along the roads, but every bait is off in the fields. I have used tire chains, but the constant chattering in deep snow destroys drivelines. I was thinking of mounting a plow, but hitting one rock or rut will do extensive damage to the plow and/or my truck. A snowmobile doesn't work as I need to get the trailer to the bait sites. A tractor with a plow is too slow to run the long lines. I run the lines alone so whatever I use has to be able to take my trailer and all my gear, plus haul out all the catch. Any thoughts??

P.S. Keep tuned to Wild TV in January for Trapping Inc. Rich Mellon and his son was out on my line with the cameras. It looks like I'll be on episode II Ryan
Old 12-03-2014, 09:29 PM

How about an argo ? takes some space on the trailer but can offload and use in the snow .
Old 12-03-2014, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
How about an argo ? takes some space on the trailer but can offload and use in the snow .
The Argo won't be able to haul the 20 foot trailer through the deep drifted snow. I had an 2011 Argo 750Hdi with tracks so I know what it can and can't do. The bait is just too heavy to move. The trailer has 8000-9000 pounds of whole dead cattle on it right now just to give an idea of the size and weight.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:47 PM

All I can say is a fendt tractor that goes 55k an hour or a track kit for.your truck. See some n youTube. Sure plow thru a lot of snow in the videos
Old 12-03-2014, 09:53 PM

I know some farmers that plow to the bait for guys to snare. They are grateful that somebody is catching the dogs on there farm. Maybe that's an option. I know margins are probably thin but maybe you could even pay the farmer to plow for you. Just some thoughts.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5911ryan View Post
The Argo won't be able to haul the 20 foot trailer through the deep drifted snow. I had an 2011 Argo 750Hdi with tracks so I know what it can and can't do. The bait is just too heavy to move. The trailer has 8000-9000 pounds of whole dead cattle on it right now just to give an idea of the size and weight.
Ok , had no idea how big a trailer you were talking about .. Maybe gmans idea about approaching a landowner to assist you is your best bet ..
Old 12-03-2014, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman1978 View Post
I know some farmers that plow to the bait for guys to snare. They are grateful that somebody is catching the dogs on there farm. Maybe that's an option. I know margins are probably thin but maybe you could even pay the farmer to plow for you. Just some thoughts.
I think this is the best idea. Set up with each farmer in each area.
Old 12-04-2014, 12:20 AM

i would run a boss v plow and raise it six inches of the ground, i run two of them and they are awesome
Old 12-04-2014, 07:33 AM

If you are going to plow I wouldn't be towing a trailer with that much weight at the same time. Or get a crazy jacked truck with tall tires. But a buddy plowing would be the best bet.

Im sure with that many baits and sets you have single handedly passed the coyote count. I hope you add your number at the end of the season.
Old 12-04-2014, 10:36 AM

If you plan on running lines in this way into the foreseeable future I would look into a medium duty 4x4. I've seen older 80's Fords from forestry or oilfield jobs on kijiji for reasonable prices. They are heavy and have good ground clearance. Chained up they go a lot of places. Also the drive lines are very heavy and often come stock with full lockers.

For this year I think having a road plowed is a great idea.

I run 35 inch mud tires on my pickup and it makes a huge difference. I would never be able to check my line now with a stock truck. Of course this comes with increased maintenance.

The only other thing I could suggest would be to drop the trailer and pull one cow in with your pickup. This would slow you down considerably but would save your equipment. With practise you should be hooked back up in five minutes or less.
I like the v plow idea as well and may consider that myself when I get moved to an acreage.

Last edited by Tfng; 12-04-2014 at 10:54 AM.
Old 12-04-2014, 01:51 PM

Tried to edit but could not. I should add that I'm bad for assuming people have at least some mechanical ability. If you could not do at least some of the repairs yourself a heavy truck may not be the way to go.

Repair costs to take it to a heavy truck shop would make you want to puke. Marmon Herrington front axles are well built and fairly reliable but parts cost is quite expensive, most common is oil leaks at the axle shaft. This can be expensive to properly repair.

I do believe though that this type of truck with a single rear axle would suit your purpose well. Depending on wheelbase and deck configuration you may even be able to do away with the trailer. I would not consider a newer model, no matter the price. Multiplexed wiring and complicated electronics put it out of reach of the average backyard mechanic.

Good luck with your line this winter!

I'd also like to thank you for the time you spent putting videos on YouTube, as a new trapper they were very helpful to me!
Old 12-04-2014, 02:23 PM

surplus army truck?...unimog style? I know a guy from Devon who buys them from the states all the time (less than $10K). He likely has one for sale. They are not comformatble to ride in but will go anywhere you need them too and haul as much as you need. I think they are 6 wheel drive.
Old 12-04-2014, 02:41 PM

That's another good idea Drake. Do you know if parts are readily available?
Old 12-04-2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFNG View Post
That's another good idea Drake. Do you know if parts are readily available?
Yes, parts are relativly easy to source....however, they are built not to break. You would be suprised how low the hours are one some of these things.

It the only option that would work in my area....add a v plow and no drift will stop you.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:58 AM

Unimog is a great idea, You wouldn't need a trailer. The deck height would be the only draw back.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:04 AM

Default Trapping

The first thing that comes to my mind is do u really need to pull the big trailer out into the field? Could you use a skidoo pulling a smaller sled?
Old 12-05-2014, 10:34 AM

Speaking of Unimog...

http://ccsurplus.com/content/1987-un...hoe-3182-miles

That should do the trick!
Old 12-05-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevoroni View Post
Speaking of Unimog...

That should do the trick!
Back to the General Forum Trev....men are talking.
Old 12-05-2014, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post
Is there even room for one dead cow on that unit?
Old 12-05-2014, 03:50 PM

Unimog... pffft!

Old 12-05-2014, 05:21 PM
Banned

Get a V Plow for your truck and after snow falls, or before you have to re-bait, do your circuit without your trailer. Once it's plowed out, hook up the trailer and head on out.
Old 12-05-2014, 05:38 PM

Well we haven't heard from Ryan in a couple days. I wonder if he's buried in a snow drift with one ton driveline pieces on the ground and using 9000lbs of questionable beef as survival rations?
Old 12-05-2014, 08:03 PM

I was going to suggest a unimog as well. I've seen them in action, its amazing where they can go.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post
Haha Good one...
I hope a 'man' can unload a bunch of dead cows off of a military surplus truck with a 4' high deck by himself.

Hook a trailer to the unit I posted and loading/unloading will be no problem.
Get stuck in a snow drift? (Highly unlikely with the locking diff's and ground clearance) Dig yourself out...
Travels the long distances faster than a tractor with all the benefits of one.
Wouldn't even notice the loaded 20' trailer behind it at 16,000 lb gvwr.
And still costs less than the Argo he already has that can't do the job.

But I don't have 2,000+ posts so just ignore this one too because I am not a 'man'.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevoroni View Post
Haha Good one...
I hope a 'man' can unload a bunch of dead cows off of a military surplus truck with a 4' high deck by himself.

Hook a trailer to the unit I posted and loading/unloading will be no problem.
Get stuck in a snow drift? (Highly unlikely with the locking diff's and ground clearance) Dig yourself out...
Travels the long distances faster than a tractor with all the benefits of one.
Wouldn't even notice the loaded 20' trailer behind it at 16,000 lb gvwr.
And still costs less than the Argo he already has that can't do the job.

But I don't have 2,000+ posts so just ignore this one too because I am not a 'man'.
Just a little friendly hazing for a forum noob...no disrespect intended
Old 12-05-2014, 11:04 PM

Hey guys. Thanks for all the ideas. I use a 2013 F350 diesel 4X4 now to get around and since the bank still owns it, I don't want to bend the frame using a plow. I like the unimog idea, but it's a coyote line, not a gold mine. lol I'm thinking I will buy an older 1 ton truck with a plow and if I bend the frame or make a boo boo on it, oh well, no problem. The reason I haul such a big trailer is because my bait supplier fills that much every week or so. It's guts, heads, trimmings, bones, etc and my other supplier gives me whole dead cattle from a large feedlot. Since the lines are so long (65-75 miles each) and running around 25 baits on each line, a small trailer just won't do the trick. I know I have painted myself in a bit of a corner, but to get the big catches, a guy has to do things a little differently. All these plans are for next year. I wanted to go super big this year, but my original bait supplier screwed me around so bad that I only got 18 baits running and it wasn't until the middle of November that I even started. Lots of phonecalls and asking around finally got me in with a couple guys who can supply all that I need now. Hopefully coyote prices hold this year and next and I can take a run at 1000 coyotes. Thanks again for all the ideas and help. Ryan
Old 12-05-2014, 11:46 PM

Unimog sounds like way more fun . Lol. Was wondering what your goal is for the year and your progress?
Old 12-06-2014, 12:54 AM
Gone Hunting

Bombardier B12 snow bus.

I'm not sure they would work well for you considering the distances. I think 50k is about their top speed. But they can haul a good load and they can handle the snow.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-06-2014, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
Bombardier B12 snow bus.

I'm not sure they would work well for you considering the distances. I think 50k is about their top speed. But they can haul a good load and they can handle the snow.
X100. That is a sweet unit.

Funny they aren't used as much anymore. Beats a sled or quad.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 12-06-2014, 02:22 AM

If you are dealing with whole carcases from cattle i would suggest getting your hands on an older 3/4 ton pick up with the old style lockin hubbs and throw a set of tall but skinny 16"tires on it probley 235/85/16.
But make sure you have a old style bale picker on it,cost wise.you will comfortably get 3 whole carcases on er.then build yourself not a snow plow but a V plow on the front of it,im guatinteein with 4500 lbs of carcas on her between three bovine there is no were you will not go.just make sure your front grill is protected from all the 3 foot drifts after our wind snow storms.
Cant speak for all the parted up carcases and a trailor,but for whole carcases and not terrible expensive with this rig no problems delivering the goods