Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 11-26-2014, 09:08 PM

Default Sick coyotes??

I'm fairly new to trapping and have a question. Out of 16 coyotes I've snared 2 had mange to the point of missing guard hairs and big bald patches, the other 2 just had small patches of matted fur on the thighs with missing guard hair. How much is too much? Is it worth skinning if there is any signs of mange? Just wondering if there is a guide line or something.

Thanks..
Old 11-26-2014, 09:22 PM

If my coyotes had a little bit of red belly but no missing hair, my fur buyer didn't dock me anything. Once they start loosing fur, my buyer said he wouldn't take them.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:28 PM

I chucked one today. It was a mess. No hair on its entire hind, gaunt, bloody festering sores all over. It didn't even look like a coyote. Out of 25 coyotes I've only had one other that had pink belly...no missing hair though
Old 11-26-2014, 09:30 PM

What about matting? If I try to brush it out, it might end up bald.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:57 PM

Any sign of mange or matting etc and I chuck them - don't want to be touching any of that stuff!
Old 11-26-2014, 10:13 PM

i was in Manitoba over the weekend and a trapper told me had 11 but only skinned 2 due to mange and talked about another problem were the guard hairs were being destroyed
sounds like mother nature thinning out the herd
Old 11-26-2014, 10:20 PM
Banned

I've caught a couple that had little to no hair in between the back legs/lower belly area but nothing as bad as what you are describing. Other than that, the rest of the pelt looked good on them so I'm sending them in and I'll take what I can get. When I started last year I sent in a few bad yotes that I should have never bothered with. I got a whopping $1 for one of them but they all sold.

If you are a new Trapper why not use the yote for practice and put the pelt up anyway? Afterwards, give it a good wash with baby shampoo and see how it ends up. If there's nothing left of the under fur/guard hair you can just turf it.....or settle for $1 at auction like I did.
Old 11-27-2014, 01:38 AM

The mite that causes mange alot of time is transfered from coyote to coyote via the roof of dens. So if you catch one mangy coyote odds are there will be more.

Be really careful handling mangy coyotes. Mange is transferable to pets, livestock and humans.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 11-27-2014, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAPPER92 View Post
Any sign of mange or matting etc and I chuck them - don't want to be touching any of that stuff!
my thoughts too , I sent in one last year that showed just a start of mange {thinning hair } and I got $7 for it . Don;t need that disease either .
Old 11-27-2014, 06:35 AM

any thing less than near perfect shouldn't be sent to the auction. diseased and sewn up pelts just fall apart. when it goes through the dressing process.

costing the people that buy your fur, money. which in turn, gets passed back to all of us.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:59 AM

Thanks. I'm gonna carry on with what I'm doing, not skinning the sick ones.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:41 AM

I have one area that has mostly mangy coyotes maybe keep 10% but I try to keep the population down around there to stop it spreading. Over the last few years I seems to be helping
Old 11-27-2014, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philintheblank View Post
If my coyotes had a little bit of red belly but no missing hair, my fur buyer didn't dock me anything. Once they start loosing fur, my buyer said he wouldn't take them.
What disease is red belly?
Old 11-27-2014, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger CS View Post
What disease is red belly?
Its the start of mange, the parasite starts to attack the belly first causing red skin due to irritation, spreads from there.
Old 11-27-2014, 11:08 AM

What is everyone do to get rid of the coyotes they get with manage? Burning? I have never got one with it but if I do I would like to know how to properly destroy it without passing it onto anything else.
Old 11-27-2014, 12:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by braggadoe View Post
any thing less than near perfect shouldn't be sent to the auction. diseased and sewn up pelts just fall apart. when it goes through the dressing process.

costing the people that buy your fur, money. which in turn, gets passed back to all of us.
I don't follow this logic at all. While I'll agree that there is no market for the worst of pelts, and we should be doing the best possible job putting up our fur, only submitting near perfect pelts would create a huge void for buyers looking for lower quality pelts to use for trim, etc. They know what they are buying and they know a bargain when they see one. If they can pick up a coyote with a damaged belly for cheap and they aren't going to use the belly anyway, they can get a great deal on a damaged pelt and as businessmen they know how to make money. Not everyone is at the auction to buy the top lot quality pelts, many are there to purchase lower quality ones.

There is a market for less than near perfect pelts otherwise buyers wouldn't be buying them. Take for example the big male adult that I ripped the belly on and sewed it up......I'm sure that you remember it. According to you it'd be less than perfect so it shouldn't be sent to auction however the entire back of the fully primed coyote could be used. It will be graded accordingly and the buyers will inspect it so they know exactly what they are getting when they bid on the lot that it's in. If it's of no value to them then they simply won't bid on it.

The same can be said with any pelts IMO. Just look at the muskrats that you are trapping that you find that are scarred. You send the damaged pelts in because there is a market for them, right?

IMO you take things to the extreme.....to put it nicely.
Old 11-27-2014, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith88 View Post
What is everyone do to get rid of the coyotes they get with manage? Burning? I have never got one with it but if I do I would like to know how to properly destroy it without passing it onto anything else.
No need to burn, the mites will freeze and die.
Old 11-27-2014, 04:17 PM

I heard (not sure if it's true) that the more poor pelts that get sent to market from a region (Canada) then the other nations purchasing the furs look down upon that area and it effects the prices from that region....again just what've heard that not all pelts are "sale worthy" per se.

LC
Old 11-27-2014, 06:25 PM

Caught 2 today. One had mange. 5 outta 18 now with mange. Seems like such a waste.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalohunterchalsie View Post
Caught 2 today. One had mange. 5 outta 18 now with mange. Seems like such a waste.
At least you are hopefully able to weed em out so others won't catch the disease .They sure are a sad sight ..
Old 11-27-2014, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I don't follow this logic at all. While I'll agree that there is no market for the worst of pelts, and we should be doing the best possible job putting up our fur, only submitting near perfect pelts would create a huge void for buyers looking for lower quality pelts to use for trim, etc. They know what they are buying and they know a bargain when they see one. If they can pick up a coyote with a damaged belly for cheap and they aren't going to use the belly anyway, they can get a great deal on a damaged pelt and as businessmen they know how to make money. Not everyone is at the auction to buy the top lot quality pelts, many are there to purchase lower quality ones.

There is a market for less than near perfect pelts otherwise buyers wouldn't be buying them. Take for example the big male adult that I ripped the belly on and sewed it up......I'm sure that you remember it. According to you it'd be less than perfect so it shouldn't be sent to auction however the entire back of the fully primed coyote could be used. It will be graded accordingly and the buyers will inspect it so they know exactly what they are getting when they bid on the lot that it's in. If it's of no value to them then they simply won't bid on it.

The same can be said with any pelts IMO. Just look at the muskrats that you are trapping that you find that are scarred. You send the damaged pelts in because there is a market for them, right?

IMO you take things to the extreme.....to put it nicely.
on fur out pelts(coyote,marten,lynx, ect) some guys can do great work on sewing. and slip them past the graders. still getting good money for them. when the pelt comes back from the dressers, its not what they bought. graders see 1000's of coyotes in a very short time. why send them crap? and hope they figure it out.

the buyers know this, and factor it in to the price they pay.(lower$). the more people that sew and slip. the less they are willing to pay. just like with any commodity.

as for the damaged rats. they are fur in and the grader can clearly see the hide. nothing is hidden, and a certain amount of holes is acceptable. in certain spots. certain grades.

personally, we keep all our damaged fur for our own use. like all things in life, anything that is not perfect, i wouldn't pass it onto someone else. but that's just me.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
I'm fairly new to trapping and have a question. Out of 16 coyotes I've snared 2 had mange to the point of missing guard hairs and big bald patches, the other 2 just had small patches of matted fur on the thighs with missing guard hair. How much is too much? Is it worth skinning if there is any signs of mange? Just wondering if there is a guide line or something.

Thanks..
I've been thinking this one over and I'm wondering if something else isn't going on with the dogs missing guard hair. Is it possible that your dogs are freezing to the snow and you are ripping out the guard hair when you pick them up, or maybe they are freezing to the steel bed of your truck? The reason that I ask is that I've seen sick coyotes the complete opposite, with guard hair but very little under fur.

I caught one yesterday that didn't look at all very healthy with dirty, matted fur, and I wasn't too sure about it. It also had some red belly and thinning of the hair on the belly. Today, I skinned and fleshed it and then I washed it with baby shampoo and it looks much better. I won't know for sure what kind of quality the pelt will be until it dries, but it didn't look all matted, etc when it was wet. I should have taken a before and after picture.

Anyway, I'm trying to think outside of the box and offer a different perspective on what else may have happened.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:39 PM

Defiantly not frozen or me damaging them. Where there is no guard hair it's because there is a large piece of matter fur. Some times the fur in those areas will be almost slimy, sometimes it's dry. I'll post some pics
Old 11-27-2014, 09:46 PM

Coyote
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (66.6 KB, 91 views)
Old 11-27-2014, 09:47 PM

Coyote close up
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (86.7 KB, 75 views)
Old 11-27-2014, 09:50 PM

Coyote
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (55.5 KB, 75 views)
Old 11-27-2014, 10:02 PM
Banned

I'm not sure what I'm looking for in the 1st and 3rd pictures but the second one looks like it has 2 bald spots and I wouldn't bother with that one.

That red one in the background looks REALLY bad.
Old 11-27-2014, 10:21 PM

The wet matted spot on the hip
Old 11-27-2014, 10:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
The wet matted spot on the hip
Is there no underfur there or is it matted?
Old 11-27-2014, 10:28 PM

The middle one is the coyote from the back round.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (43.2 KB, 60 views)