Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 10-22-2014, 06:57 PM

Default fly fishing Los Angeles area

I'm heading to L.A. in a bit. Anyone fish that area? I'mjust starting to research the area. Any one with link's or hints/ tips. Let me know. I'm looking to flyfish some creeks or rivers in the general area.

Thanks!
Old 10-22-2014, 08:29 PM

I suggest pm Brandon aka 'The Fishing Doctor'. Good luck he knows alot about that area
Old 10-31-2014, 07:05 PM
Banned

Just Lakes. No rivers or streams until you get significantly out of "LA" area. You want to have a little fun...I'd go for Striped Bass in Lake Pyramid on top of "The Grape Vine". I no longer live there but we used to take out our Bass Tracker boat and head down to the dam area to the left is a cove. Fish middle of cove with Diamond Jigs, Purple feathers about 1.5" inches feathers and 3" or 4" Diamond jig. Keep varying your depth until you find them and just jerk and fall, jerk and fall. They school together and are suspended most of time. If you can catch Fall turnover, go as large top water jerk lure as you can find that look like a shad. Some huge ones in that lake. 5 - 6 pounds average. But much larger in there. Good luck. Fly fishing?.....I don't know...put on your bathing suit, wade out into the high tide of the Pacific Ocean and throw into the calm....gotta know when to hit it with a long calm wave interval though. You can always ask Sea World if they'd let you throw a few!