Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 10-12-2014, 02:17 PM

Default Can somebody give me some pointers?

Hey all, just wondering if anybody could give me some pointers on fly fishing this season? I had a pretty good summer but I've
Been getting skunked the last few outings and can't figure out why. I've been using nymphs and streamers for the most part.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:44 PM

I am not sure how experienced of a fisherman you are but one thing to consider is that in the fall the fish aren't as spread out as they are earlier in the year. They will be in their deeper wintering holes now so you might have to find a couple new late season spots.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:07 PM

Thumbs up Fall fishing

At this time of year the water temperature in the smaller streams cool down considerably and with the drop the fish go off the bite particularly on the surface so think nymphs if you fishing small streams unless it is a very warm day when you may find a hatch on a sunny run. The bow is less effected but you will find that fishing sub surface will be more effective. Try swinging small #14,16,18 beadhead backswimmers, prince nymphs, copperjohns etc.... in the tail outs and you will be rewarded.... beef up you tippet to 3x as the takes will be violent and start fishing before you enter the water as fish will be in very shallow water if there is any chop to it. Look for laughing water or you will know it when you see it and slow down and cover it before moving deeper or down stream starting with shorter casts and gradually working out with more line. Have fun and hold on! If its a warm day and sunny watch the flat water there are still some snouts out there