Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-22-2008, 01:47 PM

Default 357 Magnum

I have been looking for a nice Winchester lever action rifle for a while, and the other day i bought a 357 Magnum Trapper model. I did no research on this calibre before i bought it, kind of a fire sale deal. After doing a little looking, i am fairly dissapointed in the ballistics of this calibre, something i probably should have known before the purchase. What would any of you guys use this rifle for? Too small for bear, maybe even too small for deer? Thanks for any info.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:51 PM
Banned

Whitetails under 100 yards preferably with handloads. Also check to see what barrel length your balistics tables are using. I myself have never chrony'd a .357 mag but i would think it should be coming out of the pipe quicker than a 6-8" handgun.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:55 PM

It is the Trapper model with a 16" barrel. I don't think its the gun i want and am considering selling it, looking for someting with a little more ooomph.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:20 PM

sleslie,
PM me with a price I'm interested.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:26 PM

I still don't even have the rifle, it is being shipped to me from Ontario. I beleive it is only 2 years old and said to be in excellant condition. Once i get it i will decide if i am going to keep it or not.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:30 PM

This is a picture of my little rifle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 69175_Winchester_357_lever_122_1082lo.jpg (66.6 KB, 74 views)
Old 01-22-2008, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleslie View Post
What would any of you guys use this rifle for? .
Hmmmm hang it on the wall and admire it with your guests? Doubt it would be better for actual hunting than anything you currently have in your gun cabinet LOL Sorry, cheap shot.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:19 PM

Quote:
I still don't even have the rifle, it is being shipped to me from Ontario. I beleive it is only 2 years old and said to be in excellant condition. Once i get it i will decide if i am going to keep it or not.
Maybe decide now, and if you don't want it, tell the owner you will pay him $50 for his trouble and tell him NOT to ship it and waste all the time and expense.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:23 PM

I guess i should have done that a few days ago, i beleive the rifle has already been shipped. Maybe i'll keep it for my little girl to use someday, not sure what else to use it for.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:55 PM
Banned

If you are a reloader its a fun caliber. Hard casts loaded down for rabbits and grouse, full power loads for whitetail. It would be even better if it was a .44mag
Old 01-22-2008, 05:22 PM

I've never reloaded anything, and wasn't really planning on starting. It would probably be cheaper for me to sell the gun and buy something i want than spend the money to get set up reloading. All i wanted was a nice little saddle gun to take with me on horseback trips into the wilderness, and it sounds like a bought a glorified handgun. I'd probably be better off throwing rocks at a grumpy grizzly than try to use this gun!!!
Old 01-22-2008, 05:51 PM
Banned

Yes, if you want to do double detail, as in bear protection and deer hunting, the .357 isn't what you want. Levers in .45-70 govt, .450 Marlin, .444 Marlin, .356 Winchester, and .375 winchester would be your best bet.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:32 PM

I really don't know what they use for rifle calibres but if you decide to sell it,maybe there would be a market with the guys that do the "cowboy action shooting". Is that the right term for it?
Old 01-22-2008, 07:11 PM
Banned

Looks like it would be a fun gun to plink around with,, you know play cowboy....
Old 01-23-2008, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyes View Post
Looks like it would be a fun gun to plink around with,, you know play cowboy....
Agreed. Got to fire maybe 10 rounds of .44-40 through a commemorative Model 94 and it was fun plinking, recoil minimal.
The OP's .357 would likely be quite cheap on ammo, great fun too.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:50 PM

Quote:
I have been looking for a nice Winchester lever action rifle for a while, and the other day i bought a 357 Magnum Trapper model. I did no research on this calibre before i bought it, kind of a fire sale deal. After doing a little looking, i am fairly dissapointed in the ballistics of this calibre, something i probably should have known before the purchase. What would any of you guys use this rifle for? Too small for bear, maybe even too small for deer? Thanks for any info.
Can't say why others might buy one, but for me it's all about matching the revolver's caliber. Lots of shooters these days buy handguns in .357 just because of the fact that they'll chamber .38 special as well as .357. This little detail means that you have a handgun that'll deliver stopping power, if needed, but which can also shoot a round that is very common and therefore cheaper.

For pistol shooters, that's the end of it. For revolver shooters who are into CAS, they want their lever gun to be in the same caliber as their revolver(s), so they don't have to worry about carrying 2 calibers of ammo or accidentally chambering the wrong round some day. Cowboy shooters are hitting targets, so they don't care that the load isn't really the best for hunting.