Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-21-2008, 05:34 PM

Lovin all the info on the 100 offerings. This is kinda why I bought this gun. Somethin that is fast flat a powderpuff to shoot and will still down game. Ideally if I can get a load of 100 gr ballistic tips to shoot to the same poi as a TSX of the same weight this is probably what I will be slinging at deer this year. Ballistic tips would obviously be my target/coyote/plinkin load.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:02 PM
stubblejumper

If you like the bear claw,take a look at this new bullet.
http://www.federalcartridge.com/default.asp?pg=46
Old 01-21-2008, 07:07 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubblejumper View Post
If you like the bear claw,take a look at this new bullet.
http://www.federalcartridge.com/default.asp?pg=46
It's definitely pretty but I think the polymer tip is strictly for show. The TBBC was one bullet that proved it wasn't required for proper expansion but I think it was a case of everyone else was doing it so they had to as well. I've never been a huge boattail fan but I'll sure give it a try but it's got some mighty big boots to fill.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
It's definitely pretty but I think the polymer tip is strictly for show. The TBBC was one bullet that proved it wasn't required for proper expansion but I think it was a case of everyone else was doing it so they had to as well. I've never been a huge boattail fan but I'll sure give it a try but it's got some mighty big boots to fill.
To say that poly tips are for show is probably the truth. A deer won't know the differance between the two. They sure do sell bullets to ballistic fiends (myself included...maybe) that try to make a .257 weatherby out of a 25-06 and the like. truth be know if you need more power and an extra inch at 500 yards buy a different gun.
I've heard Bear Claw so much in this post though I'm starting to count my pennies to see if these shoot well out of my rifle.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:19 PM

Default 25.06

I've never found any factory tbbclaws to try in any of my 25's, but have used a lot of winchester 115 gr ballistic tips, 120 gr PEP's, Federal 100 grain ballistic tips and even tried Federal fusion 120 grainers this year on 3 deer and they do some serious damage as well. Found some fine looking 110 grain win supreme accubonds saturday at nearly 50 bucks a box, bought 3 of them - hope they work good in a new Ruger #1, can't wait to find out. Been using a 25.06 since the early eighties and have never found a chunk of lead left in any deer or antelope shot at various ranges and angles. Fast, flat and user friendly - no room for disappointment.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:32 PM
stubblejumper

Quote:
It's definitely pretty but I think the polymer tip is strictly for show.
It does increase the BC of the bullet.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
The plastic (nylon) tips originaly were designed by C.I.L.to stop getting the tip of the cartridge banged up in the magazine of the rifle, no other reason.
Eventually the were touted as helping expansion.
The big thing about bullets like the Amax, like Stubblejumper stated, is that they raise the ballistic coefficient of the bullet, becsaus ethe polymer is lighter than lead so the bullet can be made longer with the same weight.
however, this is of little importance in a big game bullet IMO, but makes a difference in a long range varmint or target bullet.

Cat