Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-19-2008, 10:09 AM

Default 17 HMR rounds

picked up a marlin 17 hmr (screwed up the other day said it was a savage) and a bsa sweet 17 scope at p&d. lots of different brands of rounds to pick from. but i'm sure that i read somewere that cci makes all the rounds and packages them for the different supplyers. if this is true is there a real difference in brand? or should a guy still fire though a few different brands to find the ones that shoot better?
Old 01-19-2008, 10:13 AM

I dont believe that about the same manuf. for all the 17 stuff.
Because I know from my experimenting there is a noteable diffrence between brands.
Bobby B found the same with his 17 too.
Test driving is the only way to tell.
Interestingly, like I've said many a time, "no two rifles are the same." We both own Savage's and his results are quite diffrent than mine.

There are no absolutes
Old 01-19-2008, 12:13 PM

With centerfire rounds, we're able to experiment with various combinations of powder, primer, bullets, seating depths, etc. to determine the load a specific rifle shoots most accurately. Not so with rimfires, we're limited to factory loads only. Therefore, we test each of the various brands in the search for which of these shoots most accurately in a specific rifle. A Dick284 stated, no two rifles are the same so what shoots best in one Marlin or Savage may not in the next despite it being of the same make and model.

Last Sunday, I tested 7 factory offerings. The most accurate grouped five shots into 0.719" at 100 yds and the least accurate grouped five into 1.746" at 100 yds. This was for an out of the box Savage 93R17 BTVSS. Since then, I've glassed the recoil lug as well as the full length of the sides of the action. The LOP is too short for me aand the stock is in at K&S being fitted with a PD pad to increase LOP to 14". The rifle should be back in my hands in 2 weeks. I will then retest for accuracy. Hope this helps and I apologize if I've addressed known information.

Bobby B.