Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-18-2008, 04:02 PM

Default Best bullet performance in light calibre

Picked up a 243 the other week and finally gonna get out this weekend to out a few down her. Been searching factory ammo available but am eventually going to reload once I get a few boxes of brass. For my larger calibers I use Speer Trophy Bonded Bear Claws, Swift Sciroccos, and Sierra Game Kings, happy with the results of them in the calibers I use them for. However, not really sure how much I need to take into consideration bullet integrity with a bullet 100gn and lighter..... of course accuracy is going to be number one test to see what she likes. One problem I do have with the Sciroccos is that out of my 300RUMs, they are like grenades at anything within 150yds, dead yes, but a little messy. The gun is going to be used mainly for coyote/wolf, so not overly concerned with anchoring them, but how about for deer? What is the penetration like with a ballistic tip if you hit front shoulder? Will a bullet like a TSX or Partition open up appropriate in all conditions? I am leaning towards the Ballistic Silvertip or GameKing BTSP???? Yes no?
Old 01-18-2008, 04:17 PM

Again it is what shoots best in the rifle you own. I can say for sure that the 85gr TSX performs at all ranges inside 300 as intended even on coyotes it has full expansion I have yet to test it out side 300 except for accuracy which it maintains well. My 2 Cents.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:21 PM

55 gr. ballistic silver tips leave a mess. i've heard good things about the 70/ 75 gr. My most accurate load is 100 gr. speer boat tail soft points. travelling at a whopping 2640 fps
Old 01-19-2008, 07:45 PM

Default 85gn TSX

Well tested her out with the Federal 85gn TSX....fairly happy with them. I will have to give them a proper test with a sturdy rest other than a truck hood, and weather conditions that I am not shakin in, -25 today! Once I sighted in (120yds), shooting groups of 2, had 1st 2 same height (1.5" high) 2.5" apart, 2nd group .25" apart up and down, then 3rd group same height 2.5" apart. Happy there for now, but will be testing a couple more factories, and these again, in better conditions!
Old 01-20-2008, 12:38 AM

My 2 cents - be sure to try out the Sierra GameKing 85gr BTHP's loaded by Federal when you are checking out factory loads for your gun. They have a reputation for accuracy and shoot really well in my .243.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:11 AM

barnes work good on deer, i am currently shooting sierra 70 gr match bullets out of mine on dogs. getting ok results. the 58 v-max make a mess of things in my experience.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:02 AM

For dogs I am using the 58gr varminator by Barnes in front of 43grs of Varget with fed 210 primers sub MOA "but just" so could tighten up. Results seem good you are not likely to ever see an exit hole on a yote. Will be shooting the moly coated V-max this week to see if they preform better wish I would have red bingo1010s comment before I got 250 of those pills but will give them a go I believe they are Varminators with blue moly so should be similar just hope for better accuracy and a few more FPS neglegable but what ever.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:07 PM

Default Chucking Copper

I have shot the 100 grain TSX in my .257. I've killed deer from 50 yards out to 404 yards. The 404 yard shot was made with no wind, with the range verified before the shot with a finder. I haven't tested the bullet in the wind yet so I am not sure about the drift on this little bullet. Every bullet has opened reliably and I have yet to not have a complete passthru. I love these little bullets as I have stated before. Do some reading about seating depth with the TSX bullets. They like a little jump into the throat to achieve the best accuracy.
Old 01-20-2008, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Bear View Post

it isn't that the 58's don't work good... they do. they just have a habit of opening up the dogs. put them down on the spot it does, i guess it is hard to have your cake and it to. that bullet is going well over3800 fps, hard not to have any damage.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:14 PM

Hey guys, new to this forum. just thought I would throw my 2 cents in to the pot and let you know I have been shooting the Sierra 85 gr BTHP with awesome results on dogs out of my .243Winny. As luck would have it the 85 gr TSX over the same powder has the same point of impact as the Sierras in my rifle. Great forum.good bunch of guys on this one.